Spring gun help

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by scutter, Oct 3, 2011.

1. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Help....

As some of you may know, I am mortally allergic to anything that goes boing. The thought of shooting a Hw97200TX brings me out in a cold sweat, I don't even like having a hammer spring in my steyr.

However, due to the fact that Matt my editor is a sadist, I have now found myself in the position of having to shoot this weekends UK springer at Lea Valley with a HW97k. The thing is though, I have absolutely no idea how to shoot a springer.

I have been told that you should not grip them tightly and that you should let them recoil, but apart from this, I have not got a clue. So any help would be very much appreciated.

Oh, and if any of you want a laugh at my expense, then come to Lea Valley this Sunday and you can take the xxxx

Gary

2. Scoch

Scoch HOW!!!

Club:
    Tayside Airgun Club
    Cock gun, pellet in, aim pull trigger and swear loudly as you have a doughnut.

It aint that much different Gary, Hold it like your holding a pigeon(Live one not a dead one), don't rest it on anything solid (get your hand between it and the peg) and I find follow through much more important with my springer.

In all honesty I think it is three shots harder score wise.

3. rick

rick Member

Hold it like you are trying not to put fingerprints on it and don't put you eye too close to the scope.

4. sultano

sultano Member

Club:
    cambridge hft
    try ian bainbridge , popsheep on here i am sure you will have heard of his prowess with a springer , he may even lend you one of his collection to use during the private lessons :D

5. popsheep

popsheep Lee Marvin & the Shadows

Gary;s springer

I think he is using a new HW97 that I won at Emeley Moor a couple of years ago ,the only shooting the gun has done is by our Springer Grand Master Simon Vant who got it bedded in and at the ready,but I think it will be good enough for Gary to beat you up Mr Sultano,I;m away up north but I;ll have a coffee on Gary
    cheers Ian

6. sultano

sultano Member

Club:
    cambridge hft
    i figured you would be as far away as possible :D

7. bypass

bypass Member

Gary, your`e such a bull.....er. I reckon this will be no ordinary HW 97. It will be very sorted and you will have been practising in secret for months.:D

Fair play for giving it a go though. Looking forward to Sunday ;)

Andy

8. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    Dont rest the butt on the ground ;)

9. sultano

sultano Member

Club:
    cambridge hft
    no and that is some butt :D

10. sultano

sultano Member

Club:
    cambridge hft
    I have been told that you should not grip them tightly and that you should let them recoil,

a bit like women :D:D:D:D

11. Jamesy

Jamesy Weerach ninja

Club:
    Pontefract ARC.
    I find it best to close my eyes when pulling the trigger, that way i can't see if i've missed or not.:p

12. scutter

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D

Andy, the rifle is the HW97k that Ian won at Emleymoor last year, I think it has had a v-mach kit fitted and has been bedded in by Simon Vant.

However, I can assure you that I have only just put a scope on it, I have been concentrating on the UK's and there is no way that I would take my tac-30 of my comp gun to practise with a springer:D:D

The gun seems to be good, I shot a 20 shot string yesterday at 40 yards and managed to kill all 20 targets. However, I am struggaling with the 15 and 20 mills. also the kneelers and standers seem tricky.

Any advice?

Gary

13. Jamesy

Jamesy Weerach ninja

Club:
    Pontefract ARC.
    Positional changes can be difficult with the boingers, it's what most call "Hold sensitivity", that's why it's helpful to practice a very relaxed hold, try the gun on card with the standers and kneelers to see if by varying where the leading hand contacts the gun effects the POI. If a certain hand position on the stock matches the same POI as when shooting prone, always adopt that hold. What you might notice is when standing is that your POI will be higher but your stance will be good and you can shoot pretty accurately, just aim lower.:)
    Getting the same sort of accuracy from a spring gun to what you're used to with a PCP can be like learning to shoot all over again. But, don't be fooled, it is possible.:)

14. cb2591

cb2591 Member

Years ago we only had springers. Im always amazed at peoples reaction to using one,especially if they are used to lifeless pcps. The difficulty is what makes them interesting. The real answer is to ditch the pcp and use a springer on a regular basis. I think many people use a pcp as its more fashionable and easier to become proficient. Pity as shooting a springer well , is a joy. Good luck.

15. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Springers are the work of the devil. :cool:

16. Jamesy

Jamesy Weerach ninja

Club:
    Pontefract ARC.
    :D:D
    And lead the path to the dark side...:D

17. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Shooting anything well is a joy, not just twangers.;):)

18. herx77

herx77 Member

The Bodyboarding capitol of Hertfordshire.
    Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    I can just about remember back that far :D.
    HERX77 .

19. scutter

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Well the day is finally here, I have spent a week learning how to shoot a springer and I must admit I have enjoyed it. Tomorrow will be my first ever comp with a boinger and we shall see what I have learnt

Will I win, no way, I just hope I don't come last. no matter what the outcome though, I shall be passing my 97k back to Ian next week. I have a lot of respect for springer shooters, but it's not for me.

20. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

I've only ever seen you with a GC2 Mike, you must be getting on a bit!:D;)