Sponsorship?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by RobF, May 30, 2009.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    This isn't a veiled question... (jn case your wondering the site costs less than I spend on pellets each year...)

Do people think it's always a good thing, or it's an unecessary interference even, or that it's good when done right etc?

I know my own thoughts on sponsorship, but I wonder what other people's thoughts are. I like the idea of sponsorship as a way of giving something back to all levels of the sport, that goes beyond the rewards of participation. To me, many of the perceived problems of sport related partners could be solved with more unrelated sponsorhip partners... but how does the ball get rolling?

2. finners

finners New Member

My only problem Rob is the fact I was banned from the BBS for saying a JSR gun bag was not as good as an AIM mat for lying in the mud for HFT, which happens to be the truth but did not stop me from being banned for as the moderator said" slagging off the sponsors products", I did not as it happens all I said was you get what you pay for, but I was banned anyway.

Difficult one Rob, you do need the sponsors but can the site remain a free speach site?:confused:

3. martin c

martin c New Member

i would have to agree with finners on this one it is very eay for a sponsored site to become an advert for the sponsor first and a free speech forum second .
    i have nothing against sponsors , lets be honest many sports wouldnt exist without them but being in a self funded sport is a refreshing change :)
    :rolleyes::rolleyes: not to heavy i hope:rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. RobF

Club:
    Hi guys..

don't worry, this isn't about this site or any site... it costs little to run and i'm not about to risk that freedom for a few quid... like i say, i blow more than it costs on pellets each year with ease.

I'm thinking in a wider aspect, shooting in general.

5. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    I can t speak for FT only HFT, but I think it s a good thing, myself and Jane have been lucky enough to be sponsored by different manufacturers over the years and Jane still is, but there can be pros & cons, last year I decided I wanted to be independent as this way can use what I want when I want and not be tied..

There are a also a few juniors sponsored along with a few other shooters, if people can get this then great, what I don t like is when people accept a product just to say they are sponsored as I personally wouldn t use something I didn t want to use just for the sake of it.

Manufactures I know that sponsor shooters in HFT are

Air Arms
    BSA
    Daystate
    Deben
    MTC
    Theoben

Walther also gives a couple of us factory support with spares etc and send regular shipments from Germany.

Pete

6. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
  7. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

8. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Doesn't make it shoot any better though Ryan.

9. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

I'm quite sure that kit sponsorship is great for those that are getting it!;)
    For those that aren't I'd hazard a guess that many don't view it quite so favourably.:D
    I know that I wouldn't turn free stuff down if someone were daft enough to offer it but I'm realistic enough to know that it ain't going to happen. That said I know full well that I'd be a complete hypocrite to whine and moan about sponsorship that I'd happily take myself. Whether it's in the best interest of all is a moot point. However, I doubt it will stop and there isn't necessarily much difference in this argument and those that twist on about others having deeper pockets and more expensive kit.

The only thing I'm not too keen on with regards to sponsorship is people running kit that simply isn't available or going to be available to anyone else regardless of how deep their pockets are. I'm not talking trial stuff, pre-production or prototypes here though. I consider that to be par for the course and it's inevitable that manufacturers would wish to have concepts tested by top competition shooters. Excuse me being reticent over exactly what I do mean though. I have good reason.;)

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  10. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

All for sponsorship it certainly helps and if Tony Belas is looking in I really like the GP:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

11. clubshot

clubshot Member

Rob,
    Aware of many problems within the Air Gun Trade

Where Certian individuals believe they have paid their dues for Total Control of the Sport

If at All possible stay free on their ties -

Aware of some Forum Boards taking a few £'s a year from Users -

Would rather make a annual Donation than have a Board - restricted by not offending a Sponser

BOB/R

12. D Martin

D Martin Non member

Personal experience of sponsership has left good and bad feelings for me personally where my son was involved as many of you know.
    Air Arms promissed him sponsership at the early part of last year before the season started and never came good to their word which left me with a very downhearted and disapointed young shooter to deal with.
    Then thanks to Tony and the guys at Daystate he got a Mk3 by round 5 of the nationals after which his scores improved dramatically so much so that he finished 2nd in the juniors after a terrible start.

He's doing very well again this year and loves his Daystate which I would have never been able to afford for him at the time so I've got to say to that end that sponsership is a good thing.

A plus side for the sponsers of course is that now both through loyalty and the fact that I've come to reolize in my opinion Daystate are light years ahead of many other manufacturers I now shoot one and recommend the Daystate name whenever I get asked "what is the best rifle to buy".

Dave

13. RobF

Club:
    Don't worry Bob, if this board ever takes any £, the board will know about it beforehand.

14. Rod

Rod New Member

Looks hard tho'

Rod

15. GMF

GMF Non member

'' and the fact that I've come to reolize in my opinion Daystate are light years ahead of many other manufacturers I now shoot one and recommend the Daystate name whenever I get asked "what is the best rifle to buy"

Pahh spit ......sorry m8t got something stuck in me throught :rolleyes: :D

Glynn

16. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Its that bit of rust that fell off you Air Arms mate :p:p:p:p:p:p:D:D:D:D