Southampton Buccaneers

Discussion in 'Central South England' started by RobF, Oct 31, 2008.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
  2. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers, Basingstoke ARPC
    New location

The Buccaneers are moving to the new shoot on Sunday 30th November 2014, details are on the club website. The area is quite a bit larger than the Busheylease location and is 'virgin' ground with plenty of undulations and trees, so plenty of clearing still to do before our round of the CSFTA winter league but a fair bit of effort has already gone into the ground to make it shootable on club days.

New postcode is SO51 6DJ and we're in Squabb Wood behind Femcare Nikomed.

Monty

3. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    It looks very nice indeed!

4. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Tondu on Tour may arrive at this, depends if the Cakes are as good as before?

5. RobF

Club:
    It's going to take some time and work but in terms of potential for grandstanding shots I'm putting this as no1 in the country. It was staggeringly beatiful even in a rainy autumn day today.
    I can't wait to get on this one.

Going to post some pics which don't do it justice in a bit. We will need some serious tree climbing kit to put a couple of targets where branches are screaming for them to be put.
    But it's not all about height, there's low shots over undulating ground and all sorts. Some of the fallen trees are just perfect for gates or placement. Up high or low I think you could build a course here with all thriller and no filler.

6. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Hopefully it will evolve to meet Robs prediction over the next couple of years. As yet no one has fired a single shot so although lanes are starting to appear, it will take time to understand where the challenges are to be found and to build courses that are 'balanced' to offer challenge to the elite but also be enjoyable for us mere mortals. We will need to put out some really high ones though so that Woody can get some use out of his new hamster contraption. We're making a bosuns cradle for Rob as he was kind enough to volunteer....

No doubt in a year or two the layout will be quite different.

Monty

7. RobF

Club:
    Here's some pics... 2 panoramas of the same area from a different angle. There's more behind where I'm standing. This is the section just below where the club car park is... in between this and that are already 18 lanes cut in, albeit close to each other, but it gives you an idea of the room. Because beyond this was another area at least the same size as this, and then we stopped walking as it was getting a little soggy in trainers. I'm not sure anyone has been down the end yet!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As Monty said, it's going to take some time to fully understand the lay of the land, but hopefully next weekend we'll have some more ideas... silhouette range, plinking range, and pistol range all planned. :)

Attached Files:

8. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    This is the 'flat area' where the plink will be and is the only really open area at the site and has had the most attention so far due to a mature oak coming down a few months ago preventing any targets past 30 yards being visible. The area where the lanes are currently being cut is much denser woodland and the ground is very undulating with a number of ridges which slope down to the plink, on a many lanes you'll see the ground for 15-30 yards and then just 2 or 3 peaks. Tree mounted targets are likely to be a feature of the new ground, not necessarily 20ft+ up but 5-10ft so you can see them clearly from the firing line.

We do have a hard boundary down to the right of the pictures but are not entirely sure where it is at the moment so are staying at the end we know is fine until we get a clearer idea of where it ends.

9. RobF

Club:
    Don't know if anyone has any rangefinders on saturday, but it might be useful for a pair of us to walk the perimeter with some high vis and stake out some safe area distances. You can get disorientated in there pretty quickly and my mk1 eyeball rangefinder was way out just on lane 1, where that tree you pointed out looked like 30 yds and actually had another 15 on top of it!

10. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Good

Personally i thought the old course we shot last year on and around the valley was perfect . look forward to trying this one . i don't think a lot of shooters realise just how much hard work goes into putting out a course , never mind a brand new one . ??? HOLLY:)

PS well done all .

11. RobF

Club:
    Holly, there's a bit like that at the top.

Didn't make it down to help. Struck down with Manflu.

12. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Good

Ah that's good , course wise . Manflu hey . i had that and not very nice . it took half a bottle of whiskey to make me feel better . well actually after half a bottle of whiskey i did not feel much at all ??? HOLLY:):eek: