Sorting pellets

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by cloverleaf, Mar 28, 2019.

1. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

I''m feeling the need to sort some pellets in an effort to get the best accuracy from my rifles when testing..

As such I'd be interested to hear how those who sort go about it (sorting criteria, method, acceptable tolerance etc) as well as the typical improvement one might expect in group size with sorted pellets.

I'm thinking mass and head size would be the big two variables to discriminate upon (along with visual inspection for damage, obviously..).

I have a reasonable set of scales but no way of measuring head size - has anyone tried the Pelletgage as supplied by Intershoot? Looks like a decent bit of kit, if not cheap!

Ta :)

2. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    When I used to weigh pellets I'd sit with digital scales and batch up a tin into 8.4, 8.5. 8.6 etc, then only use one weight until used up then use the next etc.
    These days I find the JSB's I use are all the same weight anyways and just size all the pellets so at least I know they're all going into the breech the same...:D

3. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett Active Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    I have a pelletgage and used it for about 5 minutes and thought bugger that. If you think weighing is tedious using a gauge is twice as bad.

I do weigh my pellets and separate into 8.4, 8.5 and 8.6gr, (AA FT 4.52's) my scales measure 2 decimal digits. Anything outside of that range goes in the bin

I have also tried a sizer but didn't really find any benefit.

I tend to have a weighing session for 30 minutes about 3 times a week which gives me enough pellets for a comp and some practice each week
    I am not convinced if weighing is beneficial or my performance is good enough to notice but at least it gives me piece of mind if nothing else

4. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC

5. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

If your using thirty quid mickey mouse scales then your wasting your time.

6. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    I grade the size with a pellet gauge, and then weigh each of the larger batches of sizes.
    Only need to find 10 matching pellets for a BR card, typically takes about 50 to find them.

PS, the scales take longer to settle for each pellet, so that takes longer per pellet. Cost me about £80 and are extremely accurate.

7. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett Active Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Any recommendation for scales welcome:)

8. Halesowen Kid

Halesowen Kid Member

Yes as Phil's request, recommendations for scales would be a great help please....

9. blacklab

blacklab Active Member

Club:
    nelson
    ct250 scales

Brian.Samson and Halesowen Kid like this.
  10. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard FT: You Give, You take! Staff Member

Club:
    Oaktree

as above, great scales for the money

11. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    CT250 for me too - 8.2x and 8.6x go in the bin, the rest of them I shoot. I don't think it's the weight that's really the issue, rather than the reason for the high/low weight.

I have a PelletGage but I don't sort pellets using it - it's just handy to check a batch to see how consistent it is for head size.

This is for BR, for HFT/FT - I just shoot from the tin of a selected batch of pellets.

12. vangard

vangard Member

Club:
    Cambridge HFT and Lea Valley airgun club
    I used to weigh and size pellet's before I changed over to using Umarex .22 dome heads.
    Now there is no need to weigh or size anymore as they are all the same straight out of the tin.

13. Jesim1

Jesim1 Active Member

Club:
    BOAC, BGC
    Consistency is the key, and there are some things like COG that are simply beyond home checking, but after visual inspection weight and size are two which are worth doing if your looking for best accuracy and chrono results. I did try lube also, but I just never took to it with no visible difference after weighing and sizing, of which weighing is the more visible group wise in my experience. I'm not into rolling pellets to test for differences in skirts and heads, the sizer will sort this out, so there is no point in my mind.

I have fairly cheap scales, but I bought two pairs thinking my first ones were not great, it turns out they are within a fraction of a %age of each other and rated at 0.001g making weighing to 0.1grn a relatively easy task, if a bit time consuming. After weighing into batches of within 0.1grn rounding up to the nearest whole decimal (8.3/8.4/8.5 etc.) I then size them with a 4.52 pellet sizer, any really loose or really tight ones go in the plinking tin and the rest are used in the appropriate weight batch and zeroed accordingly - normally similar batches are identical in use, but go a few 0.1grns either way and you can need a click on the turrets batch to batch weight wise - and obviously do this only from the same di/batch/brand.

I only do this when I get the urge or want to be anal, 95% of my shooting is not in comps and is just out of the tin, but just because I shoot like a Neanderthal does not mean I am one :D

10g test weights come within 0.01 of a gram of each other on different scales (and then you zero them of course!), but as long as you use the same scale the difference is not important, it's the consistency of the scales pellet to pellet that matters, and I'm happy with the accuracy these give for the realistic difference it makes at 0.1grn of a difference shot to shot.

[​IMG]

14. blacklab

blacklab Active Member

Club:
    nelson
    I think all this testing goes out the window when shooting outdoors, you need to test indoors first then see how the chosen pellet fly in the wind, not many of us have the indoor option.
    A totally winless day is rare.