1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snow

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by steveggg, Dec 18, 2010.

1. steveggg

steveggg Trainee Grumps

Planned to go to LV today, couldn't get out of my housing estate this morning, managed it later.

We have 6-7 inches of it around Slough, and more due tonight, so NO shooting this weekend.

2. Andy Bee

Andy Bee L plate

That doesn't sound good for you.

All clear of snow around these parts, but bleddy cold -1 or 2 at best I reckon. Still, I got out to the range for a shoot, and again tomorrow, unless the heavens open in the night. A fortnight ago (like a fool), I braved the snow and headed of thinking all would be well. I got to the range, no one there, and hour later I was still digging the car out... :eek:

3. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    plenty of snow left from yesterday here in S.Wales.
    One thing that makes me laugh is people driving. Now I dont have a fast car, its a 4x4, a propper one, set up for off road but road legal. Funny thing is, I can go as fast off road as I can on road, about 60mph.
    so the last couple of days all i have done is overtake everything from Smart cars to various 4x4 all crawling along at 15 -25 mph, mostly on gritted roads!
    I dont know why these people dont stay home:D
    Will it be a white christmas though?

4. loopyloo

loopyloo Member

Club:
    Bisley
    well i tried to get to ANSTON for tomorrow i gave up. Now i dont give up easily.

3 1/2 hours to do that one junction on m3 junc3 to m3/m25 junction its only ten miles. Did i give in no i ploughed on.

The slip road off the m3 had been closed because everyone was slipping and couldn't get off so they made us use the dartford slip go down 1 juction and join m25 there.

The road then was clear hardly any traffic i thought yay this will be better. Just as i got to m4 juction the traffic slowed to a crawl. This is quite usual so thought go on will be fine.

few yards later we stopped from about 2.30pm till nearly 6 where we crawled to m40 by now i am giving up so hoped to get off the slip at beaconsfield to find that no one can as its slippy as hell and everyone is sliding.

i finally got back home after a round trip of 40miles at 10.30pm after starting out at 11am :eek:

I really am not liking this weather

loopy

5. PeteM

PeteM New Member

Get some snow tyres, works a treat.

6. LAity

LAity Goed Geschoten

I got to LV but getting back only took 4 hrs which should only take 40 mins!!! Joy:eek::eek:

LAity

7. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Loopyloo know how bad the M3 was yesterday.
    Left Portsmouth at 7am and got to Fleet services at 9-30am. M27/M3 not gritted as far as I could see single lane traffic and freezing rain/snow. Stopped for a cuppa and something to eat. Left there at 10 am ish. single lane until M25. at M40 junction road clear and stayed that way. Got to Ilkeston at 12-15.

Left there around 12-40 down M1 then along A14 then down A1198. Did not hit snow until a few miles short of Bassingbourne. Heavy there and road passable with car. Collected what I was going there for then heading southwards back to A1(M) got ther flowing until just past the tunnel.

Took an hour to reach South Mimms services then a further 40minutes to get round there to Heathrow direction slip road. This was blocked by a lorry. Took a further hour to get to M1 junction then very little traffic all the way back to Alton. Then the same onwards to Portsmouth. Got back home at 12-15am this morning.

At least I was not stuck in the traffic as bad as my brother who was on the M40 just south of Junc 9 until about 3am this morning after getting stuck there at 6pm. Got to Alton, his work base, at 5-30 this morning and I picked him up at 10 this morning to take him home.

8. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Just taken 3 hours to get to lymington and back... joke of it is we barely have any snow... and even less grit.

Getting to eurotunnel friday night was a laugh... for a journey in worse conditions on way back from Bruges, which took 5 hours door to door, how does 13.5 ours for the same trip out grab you... was worse in france/belgium but of course, that bit was the fast bit... 1.5 hours to cover 1/2 the distance in far worse conditions that took 5.5 hours this side.

9. PeteM

PeteM New Member

Lots of Snow

8" of snow over night here, so we now have about 12" to 14" depth.
    Over my knees in parts of the field.
    Just spent 2 hours digging us out & another hour digging out elderly neighbours.
    Really glad I purchased the snow shovel in Switzerland in February when I was skiing.

Going to put the chains on the car and see if I can bulldoze a way out down the lane to the main road soon, so I can go and dig our shop out.

Wish me luck. ;) :D

10. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
  11. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Snow in South Wales

We had about 10-14 unches the other day in the initial downfall, was starting to look as though the roads would be clear etc until today when it has started to come down badly again.

Looking like it isnt going to ease up either so that should be fun.

Lets see how it goes eh..

Berty

12. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC

13. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    damn shame loops... hopefully have something brought in from the continent to make up for it :)

14. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Snowing again anyone would think it winter here:rolleyes:Heathrow will be stuffed again.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010