Snow Warning

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by DeanB, Feb 1, 2019.

1. mpr

mpr might not remember

Club:
    quarry hunters
    Sorry just digging my van out

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Phil had a Daschund once.

3. mpr

mpr might not remember

Club:
    quarry hunters
    Stop it I just s .It my self
    Van now lost

4. Pete236

Pete236 New Member

That's a breed of sheep I think...

Basingstoke had a good lot, but not as much as we had in the Chilterns.

The difference is that we don't make a fuss and just get in with it as it happened every year. The M40 didn't get clogged up, we didn't have huge accidents and just carried on as normal.

We did have to cancel our HFT round though. Our clun is on the side of a fairly steep hill, and the car parking is a narrow grass strip up the side of the hill. A good 4x4 can get to the top in dry weather, but we wouldn't have got anyone in at all with 7" of white stuff on the ground :(

5. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Active Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    The UK is laughable just arrived in Canmore for the biathlon the shuttle bus drove us nearly 2 hours it's -25 snowing and blowing and life is carrying on it will be the same next month when we go to Oslo for the biathlon

6. RobF

Club:
    The difference there is it’s -25, not 1 to -2.5 which causes freezing thawing freezing and therefore ice.
    I’ve driven in snow falls of 4ft in 24h, behind ploughs and all sorts and you can romp around even in a rwd bmw with wide tyres. But get around 0 deg and it’s a totally different matter.

My Rab is rated to -15 working temp. The next jacket down goes way further. But it’s not water resistant at all. Reason being is at those temps you don’t see any wet stuff.

7. Roger Pardy

Roger Pardy Active Member

Club:
    None
    I seriously think that the UK needs to adopt the law that requires owners to fit winter tyres, I also think that everyone should compulsory carry snow socks so at least they have a chance to self recover if they get stuck rather than abandoning cars & causing the roads to grid lock.

8. Cop Out & Dead Shot

Cop Out & Dead Shot Member

Club:
    Kingsley HFT
    You mustn't Daschund in this bad weather.......Take your time and slow down!!!!!!

9. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Can't Re Member

Quite partial to a sausage

10. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Over 1m fell during Friday night at our Italian skiing resort. We left at 7:15am in a fully packed 56 seater coach 50 kids and 5 staff on school trip, it was loaded with all our luggage and although the police and fire brigade had issued a national state of emergency and high alert for northern Italy due the the excessive snowfall (6 feet in parts) we managed to drive out of the Dolomites down winding mountainous roads for over 4hrs to Bergamo Airport. Homeowners were seen digging their cars out of their driveways which were completely engulfed in snow.
    Never witnessed one accident and the roads were surprisingly busy although one other school missed their flight due to the chain coming off one of the coaches’ wheels and making them late for their flight.
    Snow ploughs of various sizes operated during the night and all day long.
    Snow isn’t the issue, however ice which is more prominent over here is much worse.

Attached Files:

11. IanC

IanC Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Totally agree,Didn’t realize winter tyres could make so much difference until I live in Canada for two years, fitted them every winter since returning to UK, drove from Exeter to Sheffield early Friday morning in a VW transporter without any problem passing numerous vehicles stuck or abandoned.

Roger Pardy likes this.
  12. terryn

terryn Active Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen
    Don't laugh too loud or they'll start on you next out there in the valleys, No one is safe !
    I lost a leg 48yrs back,careless of me I know, since then I have been called Hoppy, life can be cruel.

Terry

13. sportsmatch

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    I understand what your saying Rob but it was cycling in minus to positive figures with rain and snow in Canmore it only recently dropped to the really cold weather that’s showing now, but still everything is running smoothly. When we left on the first drop of snow no ice roads closed schools closing around us they had closed the schools the snow didn’t arrive till 5pm the little snowflakes would have been home over an hour by then or don’t there legs work anymore and need to be driven everywhere. when we go to Norway the end of March the schools will be open no matter the weather is doing
    Well it’s -26 and feels like -36 with wind chill this morning a good test for the Canada Goose parka

Roger Pardy likes this.
  14. RobF

Club:
    Only lost one day of school when the hurricane hit, never to snow...

A decent down jacket maybe expensive but they're worth their money.

15. Cop Out & Dead Shot

Club:
    Kingsley HFT
    You lost a leg Terryn. You’ve no chance then if we have two feet of snow then have you. Lol

LittleJack likes this.
  16. LittleJack

LittleJack Active Member

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    Yep, I'm quite surprised no one has taken the piss out of the Welsh yet, the way this thread is going it won't be long!:eek::D

17. Evo

Evo SCOUSER and top wheel nicker

Club:
    ByleyFTC, the Dib,Blackbrook
    no chance jack , i love the welsh mate, well the lamb anyways lol

18. sportsmatch

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    Well walked up the town out 90 minutes or so Canada goose was lovely and warm it’s rated down to -30 and was -36 with wind chill but thermals under jeans was a different story
    We never missed school with the snow but now the pencil necked wankstains are in charge and stop everything at the first snowflakes someone may have a slip

19. Cop Out & Dead Shot

Club:
    Kingsley HFT
    Don’t know what you mean Jack!!!
    I could never understand why the Welsh never pissed themselves. Then I realised. It was all the leeks they had.

20. terryn

terryn Active Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen
    One leg comes in handy when keeping level standing on them Welsh hills. And only one foot to keep warm in all that snow.
    saves money on soap, tin feet don't need toenails trimming, you lads just don't know the benefits.
    Two really good things about Wales, Little Jack and Lamb chops.

Terry