Sloe Gin

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by siminnit, Dec 2, 2009.

1. siminnit

siminnit New Member

Will the ABV increase? If starting with a gin of 26% ABV then adding the ingredients, will the extra sugar and natural sugars in the fruits cause a second fermentation and an increase in alcohol content and by approximately how much?

Sim

2. fisherman1

fisherman1 Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    According to my dad you can expect a rise in alcohol content of around 4 - 5% if fermented for the prescribed 5 - 6 months,

btw gin is usually @ 40% to start with! :D

ATB

Chris

3. HARRIERX10

HARRIERX10 New Member

Club:
    SOKE TSC, ISLE TSC
    When I used to do the home wine making thing. I read that it was not possible to get the alcohol level above
    21% by mere fermentation as at that level it kills the yeast, thereby halting the process.
    Which is why strong Port and Sherry are called fortified wines (They are fortified by adding Brandy or other spirits after normal fermentation has ceased)
    Liquor at levels higher than 21% are produced by distilling so I am not sure that you can increase the percentage alcohol level of gin which is a distileld spirit.
    The Sloe gin I have made has certainly increased in volume by the amount of dissolved sugar added but I don't think it became stronger, the problem is it tastes like pop, and is very potent because you can drink pop in large quantities. Hic!

Cheers Hic!
    Ian