Single point sling ?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by holly, Apr 25, 2011.

1. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    That nice mr willis gave me a single point sling to use on my new shutz . the rules say a sling may be used to steady the aim . seperate or otherwise . i take it that means i can leave it cliped to the jacket as opposed to clipped to the rifle . seperate means not physically attached . anybody know if this is the case . anybody use one ??? HOLLY:)

2. mikewills8904

mikewills8904 walthers last the course

Club:
    oaktree ftc and tondu ftc
    sling

holly your are most welcome ,
    i think the rules are you can leave the sling attached to the rifle and clip it on your jacket

you cannot remove or add anything to the rifle

like i said i think this is the case but i am sure someone will clarify this

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Simon Ayers uses one, he probably knows the best, but as far as i can remember, it needs to stay on the gun.

4. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Attachment

It says attachments should stay on the rifle BUT it says in the slings bit underneath that slings may be seperate or otherwise . now seperate means not attached . you cannot have it both ways . just the same thing except it will take me a lot longer to attach it to my arm and then unattach it afterwards for the same effect ??? HOLLY

5. RobF

Club:
    Says it can be seperate, not that it has to be. ;)

6. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Sling

Well i can always go back to the old SLR single point sling . which was a SLR sling attached at the muzzle end , looped and put over the left arm . positioned with a button sewed over the elbow . worked pretty well on the old SLR ??? HOLLY ps cheaper to :):D

7. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    I think this would need a safety review. Just about any of the standard (for small bore / full bore) sling attachments are designed for easy release at the sling-swivel handstop. If the sling has to remain attached then I would regard that as a serious trip hazard or hazardous from the point of view that while donning the sling could lead to the rifle being dropped, etc.

It isn't obvious to me just how a sling should be used in FT since "steadying" might mean only using the sling angled down from the attach so there is no vertical weight support i.e. you would be pushing against the sling with an upward (or horizontal) force when kneeling (how would the marshall rule on that?).

I would love to use a sling and shoot prone but so many lanes are just cleared (grass/twigs) for sitting and up :) Meanwhile I can't imagine shooting .22RF 50m/100yds competitions without a sling even if the wrist pain is common and a real concentration breaker.

Neil

8. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    More ?

The more i think about this . the sillier it becomes . you cannot buckle the sling to your arm and clip it to the rifle .BUT you can buckle the sling to the rifle and clip it to your arm ? some body point out the benifit of either system over the other ??? HOLLY:):D

9. RobF

Club:
    yeh, but it keeps you guessing, so it's all good :D

10. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Spoken to ?

As opposed to talking to the horses bum , i have been talking to the horses head . IE the BFTA comp sec .shaun . he says that his interpretation of the single point sling is that it can be permenently attached to either the rifle or the jacket . whichever is best for the shooter . eminently sensible i think ??? HOLLY

11. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    Awesome! Makes sense.

Thanks
    Neil

12. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    I had the same problem here, this year I moved to the international class that allow single point slings and because who makes the rules don t much about shooting he said it must stay on the rifle but a sling is an shooting accessory not part of the rifle, we can remove the shooting Jacket (I hope) so a sling should be possible to remove.

The main point is that it s impossible to correctly use a single point sling and hand-stop and leave it attach to the hand-stop, the sling is too short to allow you to pass your arm and attach it to the jacket.
    What I and a friend have done is to use the sling like the biathlon guys do, attaching it with a hook; I just cut a belt and made a hook attachment.

Arm band http://www.larsenbiathlon.com/index.php?page=vis_produkt&ProduktID=602

Sling http://www.larsenbiathlon.com/index.php?page=vis_produkt&ProduktID=417