Simple intro to FT

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Kingplinker, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Kingplinker

Kingplinker " Horsham HFT champion 2010 "... apparently...

Evening all

Can any of you good people please post a simplistic set of rules to give new FT shooters a taster of what its like and how a shoot should be run ?

I have seen the rules etc but if any of you FT'ers could list the bare essentials just to start a comp safely I would very much appreciate it .

many thanks

Dave

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Ft for definite..? not HFT?

to the BFTA rules...

2 targets per lane, 8-55yds out. 25mm under 35yds for non positional shots, 40-45mm everything else.

prone has to be unsupported, any other position cannot make use of support other than the body. For kneelers the leading hand must be unsupported. Sitting tends to be the normal position. Bean bags can be used for sitting on, or support under the ankle or the knee in kneeling... but the knee must touch either bag or ground.

two posts define the shooting gate, the shots must be taken within this gate, with the shooter's body entirely behind the line but able to touch it.

timing is 2 mins per lane, but it's considered optional sometimes away from the more major events... clock starts when eye goes to scope.

it's either a hit or a miss. Targets must be unobscured including the entire plate, in all positions.

rangefinding via scope, and scope adjustment is allowed.

as far as guns go, anything goes.

SFT is the same as above, but it allows only a 12x scope max setting, the scope can only be focused once per lane and before it's used to address a target ... ie you guess your range, but focus the scope to give you the best view of the two targets in the lane, but this can only be done once per lane.

SFT shooters have to go first.

3. Kingplinker

Thanks Rob

Yes FT , like I say its just a thought and if my club doesn't fancy it I may have some land to give it a whirl :)

I have only tried FT once at Bisley and enjoyed it , kinda like the idea of the 80 shot one too :eek::eek::eek:

atvb

Dave

4. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    I'm up for it Dave, shouldn't be that hard to sort out, does that mean I have to get one of them there ponsy bean bags.lol.

5. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Not another thing you are going to try Dave:rolleyes: I can remember you once said you were going to try HFT:eek:

6. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    To be fair Pete, he does try. :D

7. Kingplinker

Just to make it clear - I have missed out on loads of HFT due to poor health , if I had my may Pete I would be out shooting all day every day . :D Looking forward to the southern hunters now especially so onwards and upwards mate !

Steve - we can't try it on our next shoot as Paul from Bookham is head honcho but perhaps we can have a word with silver fox and see what he says ? By the way HFT at the indoor range starting Thursday .... we need the practice . :eek: lol

atvb

Dave

8. martin c

martin c New Member

I'll second that :(

9. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

How many targets do you get indoors Dave? I can't help but think outdoor practice would be time better spent.:);)

Ryan

10. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

Hey Ryan

from the rumours going round - as much practice as possible is needed :D

11. rogb

rogb Señor Member

Following Rob's excellent concise FT rules post, there are some fun variations that you can use.

Last Saturday, we had an FT fun shoot using golf rules over 10 lanes/ 20 targets . Same FT distances, positionals etc except we had plenty of 15mm reducers as the close targets in some lanes. 5 shots allowed per target, 1 shot=1 point, lowest score ( ie 20 points) wins. If you took all 5 shots and didn't get it :)o yup), then you score 7 points:mad:.
    I was cruising along on 1s and 2s until I came across a pretty standard 35mm at 50 yards, for some reason (tw*t:rolleyes:)I ranged it at 55, so I had a lovely little group of 5 just above the KZ:(

I think we might give HFT golf a go sometime, at least you get plenty of shooting done if you are crap:D, more practice = get better, that is the theory!:cool:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  12. Kingplinker

Sadly Ryan thats the big problem mate - nowhere to practice really although I am going to be setting up my own little hft practice site in the next few weeks , also looking to get back to my local land ( 5 mins away ) to get some much needed practice .

Its no good being the best 25 yards shots in the world ........ unless of course some kind hft course setter wants to set them all out at 25 yards . ( full size kills obviously ) lol

Those who have a local club with all the facilities are very lucky indeed , I managed a quick set up of my aim points 5 mins before a comp on sunday so can't complain too much about my rather poor 52 as I still really enjoyed it .

atvb

Dave

13. RobF

Club:
    Good stuff.

To save us stringing a course, we used to run 6 lanes of 6 targets... and call a cease after all the lanes had been shot. That meant we could get people on and rotated as they turned up. In each lane the targets got further out one by one, and we had stuff like reducer lanes, or standing or kneeling lanes or all of them... which gave people a chance to concentrate on their weaker skillsets... there were really long ones or high ones etc...

The other idea i've toyed with is FT golf... (make it around the course in the shortest amount of shots)... or FT snooker... shoot a red then choose a target of a difficulty for the points...

14. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Try Basingstoke:p:p:p:eek::eek::D:D:D

15. RobF

Club:
    having a permanent plinking range is a definite bonus...

i have to travel 45 mins to Weymouth, or an hour to Bisley...:eek:

16. Rik ochet

Rik ochet Its my skunk, I saw it !!

A bit harsh Chris.....
    Even if true :D

17. Kingplinker

uote:
    Originally Posted by Kingplinker
    Sadly Ryan thats the big problem mate - nowhere to practice really although I am going to be setting up my own little hft practice site in the next few weeks , also looking to get back to my local land ( 5 mins away ) to get some much needed practice .

Its no good being the best 25 yards shots in the world ........ unless of course some kind hft course setter wants to set them all out at 25 yards . ( full size kills obviously ) lol

Those who have a local club with all the facilities are very lucky indeed , I managed a quick set up of my aim points 5 mins before a comp on sunday so can't complain too much about my rather poor 52 as I still really enjoyed it .

atvb

Dave
    Try Basingstoke
    Huh :rolleyes: I would have cleared Basingstoke ............. if that bloke Graham had painted the targets properly :eek: Painting them for the second round so all and sundry could see the kill zone from a mile away in a fog didn't lessen the blow either :eek: Wasn't meant to be I guess .

Dave

18. FUBAR

FUBAR New Member

WE DO HAVE A 32 YRD RANGE OUT SIDE WHY NO ONES USED IT OVER THIS SPRING /SUMMER I DONT KNOW:confused: IT COST ENOUGH:mad:

19. Kingplinker

8 yards to 45 Nick ;) the clue is that its HFT practice we were talking about :D:D:D:D

20. martin c

martin c New Member

:confused::confused: who is that then :D:D