Silencers in FT

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by TJDizzy, Jan 8, 2013.

1. TJDizzy

TJDizzy TJDizzy

Club:
    WendoverARC
    Hi just woundering :rolleyes:

Does anyone use a silencer on there FT set up? does it affect the accuracy that much this is the reason you don't see many using them on the FT scene?

ATB
    TJ

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Less to go wrong, but some fit them so they can practice at home without irking the neighbours... but if you don't need one, why have one? :)

3. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    Ive seen a couple of people using them at NEFTA winter league comps, they put in better scores than me, mind thats not hard to do.:eek::D

4. TJDizzy

TJDizzy TJDizzy

Club:
    WendoverARC
    It was more for saving my ears ;) lol I'v been told by a few people that i would lose accuracy if i fitted one, i'v got a AA protarget carbin so with it being so short its got a hell of a crack to it which i would have liked to tone down abit :eek:o

5. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

One of our club members uses a bog standard S400 with a silencer on it and still puts in scores of about 60-80% in this years Winter League. I think those that use HW100 or the AA S400/S200 keep the silencers on. Personally do not think it makes that much difference.

6. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    It may well change your POI and mean that you need to re-zero, but if it fits properly, it should not affect accuracy.

7. Steve

Steve Member

I had a mk1 ev2 that wouldn't group for love nor money,don't no what it was but it used to give me a right headache after a few shots.I had a silencer made for it and it transformed the accuracy,only to what you would expect from an ev2 but it still went from an inaccurate gun to an accurate one.

8. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    If you don't have a muzzle break or air stripper they will increase the accuracy and for me the less noise improve my shooting but they aren t allowed in many country s Portugal and Germany inclusive so if you are thinking in the words forget it.

9. DeanB

DeanB Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    Have an S410 and EV2 both with silencers - both shoot consisient 12 mm edge-edge groups providing that I do my bit.
    Dean

10. rich

rich Active Member

I began in FT (quite a while ago) with a S300 that had a floating barrel. Imagine floating one of those skinny Air Arms barrels. Well, it didn't work all that well until I fitted a silencer and then the groups tightened considerably.

However I had to be specially careful about non-horizontal shots as the weight of the silencer caused a considerable deflection.

11. springer34

springer34 anschutz 9003

I have a air arms silencer on my Anschutz 2002 i did take it off but it was hard to get a consitant group so i just put it back on the weight of the silencer seemed to help

12. TJDizzy

TJDizzy TJDizzy

Club:
    WendoverARC
    Thanks for all the input...It's intresting how it has acturly improved some of your accuracy's I guess I wont know untill I get one and try it out myself :)

ATB
    TJ

13. pixybasher

pixybasher New Member

Club:
    South Devon Airgun Club
    I did some testing albeit some years ago with my S410 with and without the Air Arms silencer.The groups at 50yrds with the silencer were better.I would say about 3-4mm tighter but this would probably be different from gun to gun so you would need to do your range work yourself.

Nige

14. Adz

Adz Banned

oh no , another rifle for the bin............

15. TJDizzy

TJDizzy TJDizzy

Club:
    WendoverARC
    Lol no it won't if I get 1 and it doesn't work I will just sell the silencer no harm in trying ay lol :D

16. TJDizzy

TJDizzy TJDizzy

Club:
    WendoverARC
    Managed to get a silencer for a Pro Target and had ago with it today to see what the grouping was like..10 pellets 55 yards resulted in a 10mm group hole with 2 flyers which still ended up in the kill area so a thumbs up for silencers :D