Silencers illegal in Germany

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by RobF, Oct 31, 2012.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    http://www.bds-field-target.de/wm2013/rifle import.htm

I have tried unsuccessfully to get a clear response from the BDS about this except to say you travel at your own risk. I am raising it with the WFTF, but having dealt with other issues already I don't think there are any chances of this being reversed.

As far as I know the 97K is sold with the same fore-end in Germany as it is in the UK, and is difficult to remove, but I cannot find an xray of the internals or get an answer of what qualifies as a silencer. I'm not sure about the TX200 or bull barrels either.

2. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    In Portugal they are also forbidden what we assume is that if a rifle came with it from factory like the HW97, TX200, ProSport, AA4xx, etc, they are allowed because it s a rifle design, if it s an extra like in HW100 and similar that can be removed it s a silencer.

I didn t noticed that UK shooters use them but it can be a problem for Spanish and other country s that use them a lot.

3. Dieter K.

Dieter K. New Member

4. RobF

Club:
    Thanks dieter. So if standard they are ok? That's all I wanted to know. :)

5. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    If it comes fitted as factory standard it's should not be an issue. The HW merely act as muzzle weights really. I suppose a bull barrel is really just a fat barrel, as long as there ain't any baffles in it.
    Anything with baffles and looks like a silencer and works like a silencer I wouldn't risk it.

The airport police the last time in Germany were very intimidating and they were very thorough inspecting the rifles (in a secure room with one way doors and police security dogs) in fact it was the most intimidating experience checking in a rifle in an airport I have had to date!

6. RobF

Club:
    I have since contacted Air Arms and Hull Cartridge by phone.

With the 97k, HW manufacture and sell the rifle in the same specification with the same fittings in Germany as they do here, and as such HC say that it is not subject to restrictions for having a silencer despite having internal baffles. The fact that it's integral to the rifle exempts it.

With the TX200 and other AA springers with shrouds, from 2000, except to certain territories, the rifles contain baffles, but like the 97K they are not removable. However as AA do not export to Germany they are unable to confirm if their rifles would be exempt or not. Some countries like do insist baffles are removed during manufacture, but it would appear that Germany may treat them the same as the 97k, however we are unable to confirm that.

Should people wish us to contact the manufacturers and gain advice in writing, where possible we will be happy to do so.

We will continue to seek clarification in the meantime from the BDS