Silence or not

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Steve, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Steve

Steve Member

Whats your thoughts on silencers on target guns,re.accuracy?I had a MK1 EV2 that grouping was awful on,I put a silencer on,only because there was something about that gun that gave me a headache every time I shot it.It made the grouping 95% better.Just asking really because I have an idea for a little project;)

2. FGYT

FGYT New Member

had a silencer on my ols Anshutz 2002 was the quietest airgum ive ever used i giess the regulation using just the right amount of air gave teh logun silencer little to deal with didnt effect accuracy
    i would put a silencer on any rifle i got

ATB

Duncan

3. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

My S400 really benefitted from a silencer (AA silencer) it tightened up the groups really well.
    When I bought my Steyr LG100 it had a muzzle brake on it. When I removed it, the groups tightened up.
    Steyr say there should be nothing on the barrel as the gun is finely tuned and adding anything ruins the tuning.

4. brede

brede all the gear and no idea.

good post mate

ive often wondered this myself and different people say different things about different guns. i fitted a silencer to my daystate merlyn and it made no odds at all to the groups at any range with any pellet. that gun just seems to land them where you point them, provided you have some decent glass on the top and know what you're doing.

on the subject ive just bought a mk4, not even fired it yet :eek: and most people ive seen with mk4's have silencers on them but cant tell me if it improves it or not, they just say they like silencers? if anyone can save me time and help me with some rational reasons it would be nice :D

ATB, john

5. JTK

JTK New Member

please post a pic or three if your EV silencer. I want to make one for my EV. Didi you float the barrel or mount the silencer on the barrel band?

6. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    Here silencers are forbidden but all guns that I tried improved the groups with one.

We all shoot better with silence and I suppose that the rings inside act as several air strippers.

7. JTK

JTK New Member

I think it has a lot to do with the quality of the silencer. I heard UK Niel ran some tests some time ago and found that on average adjustable strippers were most accurate, then without anything and then silencers. Again. I have found a silencer or two that really works at improving accuracy. Most dont seem to affect the accuracy. and a few that cause issues. I have always maintained but been told I am wrong that a stripper or well manufactured silencer could improve accuracy on a rifle with a less than perfect crown by stripping away the uneven turbulant air around the pellet. That is why I feel I havent seen an improvement with stripper or silencer in the accuracy of a steyr for instance. But it does help some 400's

8. clubshot

clubshot Member

Depends where you Shoot

@ Lea Valley many Shoot from Benches under cover and with side walls

Can make shooters very noticeable if shooting without a silencer ;)

BOB/R

9. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    I know what you mean I shoot in a firing range with IFFS guy's and my Styer makes more noise that .22 :shot:

10. JTK

JTK New Member

So I made a silencer for my EV. havent been able to do proper testing but it leaves a one pellet hole at 11m. Silencer has three chambers with the baffels made as cone shaped strippers. THe silencer is also made to have the same diameter as the stock stripper so I could mount it on the barrel band is required. But free floating seems to be just perfect. What is the concensus with floating EV barrels?

Attached Files:

11. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

MY HW100S I use for FT has the standard fit HW silencer on it , I often wondered if it would make any difference taking it off so shot a few 55yd groups with it fitted then removed, made no difference at all, selecting the right pellet however did!

12. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    You'd hope it would do it without :D:p

13. JTK

JTK New Member

true Rob but with this one nothing is a given. This is what mine does indoors at 30m off a rest in stock format. Middle two are seated. No diffs. People say I should not expect one hole at 30m. My 400 can do it though ;)

Attached Files: