SIIISS 10-50X60 LRIRMH or Leupold 40x45 Comp

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by BDL, Mar 21, 2014.

1. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    Ok as above who has experience of the above, Ideally someone who has owned and used both for FT?

But if you have experience of either your knowledge will be appreciated.

Looking to try one and sell the Big Nikko M3, but can't decide which way to go and at £1k plus need to be sure :).

Cheers Bri

2. zahed2010

zahed2010 Member

Club:
    Casleton FT Club
    You're not doing bad with that Big Nikko mind :)
    Z

3. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    I know mate I nearly got a Sightron at the beginning though and now been thinking of a leupold so having a toy with the idea of giving one a blast. The MK3 should go easily enough plus hopefully the T50 will shift too so will just about cover plus little :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  4. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Leupold

Hand on heart I can say that for the money the Leupold Competion is one of the best FT scopes out there, just look at how many FT shooters are using them.....but they are not the easiest to use. I would say that if you are used to Big a Nikko then the Sightron will suit you better as the operation will be more familiar to you. The Leup comp operates totally different than a Nikko or Sightron, and you must spend the time, and put in the effort to get used to them. I have known shooters have a Leupold comp for 2 weeks, then say that they can't get on with it. You need to use one for a full season, through all weather conditions, in hot and cold temperatures to really get to know any scope.

The Leup does not snap in and out like a Nikko or Sightron, and to new users parallaxing can be a bit vague if you don't know how to use them. A smaller sidewheel does help with this though.

I now own 4 Leup comps, two 40mag Mildot and two 45mag Mildot, and the only other scope I would consider would be a March....but will it be 2.5K better than what I have now.

Neil.

5. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    Cheers Neil this is very useful info as I've been used to the Nikko and it's operation, I've seen the Leupold's are popular hence the temptation.

The one thing I'm not sure of is the fixed mag set up, I usual range at 50 and shoot on 30. Sometimes I mag down to help speed up target acquisition but always shoot on the 30.

Bri

6. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    40 comp

If you have a good MK3 nikko then why swap.
    The comp's are fantastic optics but they do take time. The 45 i would say is the snappier ranger between the two but the 40 will be a bit more forgiving on target aquesition.
    Pro's and con's
    The sightron will have various aim points the leup a fixed dot as standard so you need to allow for reticle change,an 8 yard target is about 2 1/2 full turret turns on a leup.
    When i first had my 45 i found i took a while to find a target the 40's are slightly better,if you line up the top turret with your flip up on the target it's easier.
    To give you some idea of field of view if you shoot the sillies you can only see one target at a time,you will literally have to count your chickens.
    Apart from John Costello who has done any good with a Sightron?
    With the leup comp's the list is endless,the only real benofit for me over a nikko would be weight ,the leup's are much lighter.
    Before you spend money getting what the top boy's have ,try them on a coarse against the clock.
    Comp 40 for me is a brilliant scope but they do take time as Neil said at least one season in all conditions.
    Simon

7. craig corbett

craig corbett Member

Club:
    quarry FTC
    Brian I just got a comp as u no if u won't a play let me no an il pop up club fella

8. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers, Basingstoke ARPC
    Dilemma, dilemma!

Hi BDL

Had the same dilemma a couple of weeks ago after my MK1 Nikko went belly up. Thought about if for a week and shortlisted the Loopy, the Sightron and March. The MK3's that I tried were not great, there is quite a significant quality range with them, some are excellent and some are not so good it appears, and even my second MK1 is not as good as the one that died. If it hadn't died I wouldn't have considered a change as it worked fine.

Thought long and hard but in the end went for a Leupold (should arrive next week), discounted March due to the cost and the fact that I'm really not that good, but my final decision was based on the following considerations;

My natural zero is pretty good, when I put my eye to the scope the cross hair is immediately on the face plate 90% of the time at 35 mag and not far off for the other 10%. The narrow FOV doesn't concern me too much apart from the odd stupid target at the top of a tree where there are 3 identical trees on either side and you pick the wrong tree and spend 90 seconds trying to find a target that isn't there. 10 mag is very useful in these situations!

I acquire at 35, range at 50 and shoot all targets at 35mag so a fixed 40 isn't too much of a stretch. The lighter weight and lower COG may counteract the increased mag induced wobble on standers.

I also have a couple of Bushnell 4200's, a 6-24 and 8-32 and with the 6-24 I can range with acceptable accuracy, obviously the 8-32 is much better. Years of using manual focus camera's has trained my eye to find focus so a snappy scope isn't a prerequisite for me. The 4200 can be very vague unless you have good eyes (+- 10 yards on long ones is an easy error at 24x if you are sloppy or can't find something with high contrast to focus on) so the Leupold focus technique doesn't scare me. It can't be any more difficult than my 6-24 (or can it???)

If any of these factors were a concern I would have purchased something else based on the advice I received, probably a Sightron, but I fully expect a bit of a learning curve. I tend to persevere so I'll keep at it until I crack it.

I'll find out in a week or so if I made the right choice!

Monty

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  9. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    Hi Simon, weight is a factor as my Steyr is heavy and I suppose finding the targets is going to be fun on 40 didn't think of the field of view as a chicken haha. That would need some time investing getting used to it.

The multi poa is handy as I shoot every thing below 12yrds with aim points dialled to 55, I would probably get mil dots fitted to a loop

Thanks for the info Bri

10. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    Nice one Monty, the Marc was the same here couldn't justify the out lay. The big dilemma I have really looking at it is the locating the pesky targets. I'm used to telling when something is sharp through years of racking up CCTV cameras which helps.

Good info thanks
    Bri

11. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    Thanks bud, will have a squint Jack's doing the same too so should be a good comparison. Will have to see Tommy and have a look at his Sightron again.

12. Xbow

Xbow New Member

The quality of the Leup Comp is very good and it's nice and light/compact compared to something like a Big Nikko. Only problems I had with the Leup comp 35 I had was target acquisition and a very fine cross hair. I used to waste time hunting around trying to find the target sometimes. Guess I was too used to finding the target with my Big Nikko dialled down then zooming in to range and shoot. I saved a large amount of cash buying my Leup from a US dealer on eBay so check prices before you buy. You'll need to budget for a wheel as well.

13. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    Should be able to get it delivered to someone state side to ship for me, wheel and getting mil dots added I've accounted for. You still using the Leup or did you move to something else?

Cheers Bri

14. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    No option??

If your going to Avon hawks tomorrow Brian, try using your current Nikko(?) on x40 all day, well for shooting.
    Range find on x50 if that's what you do, but don't turn it down less than x40 for any shots, sitting, standing or kneeling.
    And don't allow yourself to turn the mag down below 40 to find a target. Do this while being timed, 2 mins per lane.
    Avon hawks is an excellent ground, mix of dark Fur tree lanes and more open woodland.
    Shooting on x40 all day will tell you if a "Fixed" comp series, either x40 or 45 is for you?

15. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent

Can't make Avon Si have to be home for 11 tomoz, but good idea will try this for a bit to see. I'll get the clock going too to see how that goes, will be good practice for the BFTA and Inters too

Cheers
    Bri