Sightron Scopes

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Twiki, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Twiki

Twiki New Member

Club:
    NOFTC
    Good morning to you all. I have been looking into purchasing a sightron scope, BUT when I looked at the various web sites, I am getting a little confused. Can anyone tell me witch is the preferred version of the Slll for FT?

Twiki

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    They are not preferred for FT, very thin on the ground. I have seen the mildot and its very large and not really all that useful at higher mag which is needed in FT.

I think they are basically an expensive big Nikko that shifts in temp. Turrets are not nice either.

3. maddog

maddog Active Member

Club:
    Emley f t c
    scope

hi, send littel kev on here a pm

4. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    This is the one ( illuminated version ) nicely spaced lines and not too thick either

5. mgkd

mgkd Member

Sightron 10-50

I have two of them (10-50 LRMD) and I am very happy with their clarity and brightness. The mil dots are large but I got used to them rather quickly-the IR scope referenced above has a better FT reticle. The only issue I had with my Sightrons was that I had to re-adjust the front lens so they would focus down to 10 yards - I am not sure if this is an issue with the Sightrons sold in the UK. As far as as temp shifts, mine under-range by 1-2 yds(30-55 yd distances) at temp below 55F and over-range by the same amount above 80F-I have had scope temp shifts on every brand of scope I have tried( I have not ried S&B and March yet).

6. TimG

TimG Member

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    I have a Big Nikko and an SIII.

Advantages of Sightron over Nikko:
    It's a lot lighter in weight.
    Sight picture is clearer and a lot lighter in dull conditions in woodland.
    Range finding is more sensitive and snaps in just as well if not slightly better than the Nikko.
    Never had any probs with temp variation (yet) on a par with the Nikko in this respect.
    Turret is very positive (read slightly stiff) but with an oversized turret (as most peeps use for FT) this is not a problem at all due to the extra leverage.

Disadvantages:
    PA wheel works in the opposite direction to the Nikko (just a matter of getting used to it)
    Min focus on mine is 11.5 yards ( from what I have read this seems to vary a bit between scopes) but easily cured with a Leup close focus adapter on the front and I use one on the Nikko anyway.
    The mil dots on the LRMD are a bit big but I have never really had a problem with this.

Hope that helps.