Sightron Scopes

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Bandit, Jan 8, 2012.

1. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    :rolleyes:

Gary

2. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

It would be nice to see scopes tested against the same set of technical criteria instead of relying on reviewers opinions which can often be misguided. Rather than repeating claims made by manufacturers a specific set of tests carried out would be of much greater benefit to the buyer, not so benefitial to some of the manufacturers though which is why it won't happen.

Maybe it's about time a few of us could come up with a set of criteria for HFT scopes then carry out some tests of our own & publish them on here, it might help new shooters avoid making expensive mistakes by believing the magazines.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  3. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

That's why I liked Tim's articles on HFT scopes, he could back things up with measurements. I'd certainly be up for donating scopes to be tested independently, I don't have the knowledge, kit or way with words to do any myself - It'd help if a decent shot with no ties or loyalties did them as well.

As a starter, would these be any good?

Measured PX error at ranges 13, 30, 45y.

Clarity (or is it resolution?) - Std camera tests, there's loads available.

Does poi shift when px adjusted - How much?

4. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

I found parallax error at 45y a bit tricky with some budget scopes as you are trying to see the mildot referance sheet & the ret clearly enough to measure the error.

I made a jig to test a few scope for myself & Pete Sparkes, I parallax the scope in at 23y then check the error for a 5mm eye movement at 13y, the jig allows this to be exactly reproduced everytime.

The clarity tests would be good you could also add field of view & eye relief, the depth of field could be quantified by how far & close you could read a piece of set text when adjusted to the 23y parallax.

5. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

The distance thing was for key distances. I'll have a scout around later for clarity and FOV tests, although I reckon Rob might get in there first. There's the potential for a really useful resource with set, repeatable tests mate.:)

6. airborn68

airborn68 Active Member

Club:
    Ponte & Hull & District Ft (secretary)
    Hi

Whats the verdict any chance of a review

Jon

7. airborn68

airborn68 Active Member

Club:
    Hi all

I picked one of these up on Saturday from AIM at the shooting show at Newark.

The glass is great but I have found I am getting a POI shift after adjusting the PX.

Set the PX to 20 yrd, then zero, turned the PX to infinity & back to 20 POI the slightly high.

Anyone else found this

Regards jon

8. rickysdaystate

rickysdaystate Make Every Shot Count

Club:
    Greyhound
    any good views on this scope yet anybody?
    hows it compare to the good un's out there? eb sinper, leupold mk4, bushnell 6500 ect ect

9. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    I have heard the 10-50 model shifts POI when parallaxing in on close range targets.

10. Jamesy

Jamesy Weerach ninja

Club:
    Pontefract ARC.
    Hmm, i've been thinking of getting one of those.. anyone on here got one, have experience of them?:)

11. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Paul Yates up your way has one.

12. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    Met with Stephen Glenn - Customer Service, email: stephen @ sightron.com, tel: +1 919 562 3000, from Sightron at the IWA show...who confirms they do not like/want to re-parallax these scopes below 13 yards...otherwise it causes 'issues'.

I had stopped by to quickly find out their MINIMUM parallax (was thinking of Falcon T50, Big Nikko III, and March as a comparison, and was hoping these guys could be another competitor - ie: as low as 10 or 8 yards minimum parallax).

Sadly, Sightron is is no longer in my potential shopping basket, and I will have to look & get info. from VORTEX.

PS: 13 yards is good enough...ie: for plinking , target shooting, BR, etc...but thinking for FT or any targets at 10 yards...forget this then...

13. airborn68

airborn68 Active Member

Club:
    Hi all.

Jamesy which scope was you thinking of getting?

I have the 10x42 MMD your welcome to have a look , I will be at most of the NEFTA hunter shoots.

I have had a bit of a faf with setting this up on my steyr, due to me mounting it really low I couldn't get a constant eye position with the large Gary cane cheek piece, so was suffering a bit of Px error.
    I have now made another cheek piece & set the px @ 20 yards which has eliminated the px error

Regards Jon

14. merc350

merc350 Just wants to shoot...

Club:
    Emley FTC
    Any news/ views on this scope. Pete have you managed to put it on you parallax jig? How does it score for parallax error?

ATB

Paul

15. airborn68

airborn68 Active Member

Club:
    Hi Paul

You can have a go with mine, will be at the next nefta shoot, you cant miss me I will be carrying round a red/silver hydrographics steyr

It would be nice to put a face to some of the forum users at the comps.

Regards Jon

16. merc350

Club:
    Emley FTC
    Thanks buddy:)

17. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Jon,
    Is that the rifle that sold (on here??) not too long ago? Saw you with it at Rd1, looks a belter.

Paul

18. merc350

Club:
    Emley FTC
    In fact i have a sneeking suspicion we were chatting at the last nefta hunter on the zero range whilst i was putting on my EB. :)