Sightron or Big Nikko or ?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by wiseguy, Oct 2, 2012.

1. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    Currently i'm using a Big Nikko mk3, already for more than 3 years now.
    Tried the Falcon T50 for a short while, but that wasn't what I expected.
    Now I fancy something new, budget up to 1500 euro incl options (sidewheel, turret, sunshade etc).
    So now it seems that Sightron has a nice FT scope, for me it seems almost the same as the Big Nikko, but......who has practice experience with both scopes and wants to share this?
    Is it really better than the BN mk3 and if so, what and how, or better invest in something else?
    Anyone?
    Cheers,
    Rob

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  2. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

The current FT World Champion uses a Leupold Competition 45x, the best range finding scope regardless of cost. :cool:

3. Shaun

Shaun Active Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Hi Rob,

Leuplod comp is well within that price range.

Shaun

4. Littlekev

Littlekev Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    scopes

I have used a big Nikko for about 6 to 8 years now they are great scopes of the money i also have a sightron on my New special Ripley and what a scope it is range finding is great not moved in temp yet but will give it a good try over our MFTA winter Series, but so far so good ill keep you posted.

5. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    Scopes don't won Worlds shooters do ;)

One of my buddys have the Leupold 45x, I can see the pellet flight and in a couple of shoots I know the wind he can't. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  6. paul yates

paul yates Kung Fu Panda

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    dump the Niko and get a Sightron comparing the two back to back on the same course in poor light conditions
    the Sightron had more clarity and better definition on one 55 yard target the big nikko got the range over everytime i tried it the sightron had it the same range everytime i have had 2 leup comps a mark 1,2 ,3 nikko a burris ra 3 bausch and lombs and find the sightron better than any of them but thats just my opinion i got rid of my last nikko to buy another sightron the two i have are the mildot one and the one with the target dot, the mildots are quite large the target dot is very fine
    regards
    Paul

7. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

Untill you try a Sightron.

Atb,

Alec.

8. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
  9. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    I say MarchX..but then again so I would. Purely for rangefinding its hard to beat the good old MK1 Nikko. I cant honestly see how a shitron can be any better than a nikko?

10. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

I've got this one and the milldot version, the dots are big and could obscure your POI. The dots are spaced twice as far apart as they are on a Big Nikko. I can't decide which one I prefer, so I'm keeping both!

Atb,

Alec.

11. paul yates

paul yates Kung Fu Panda

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    little kev above you has that one

12. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    March X.., did I mention the budget of 1500 Euro, including additional stuff like sidewheel, sunshade etc? ;)
    Rob

13. Littlekev

Littlekev Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    this is the rect

This is the best rect for FT

Attached Files:

14. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

I would agree with this.
    I would also say, my Mk1 Big Nikko was ok, but it couldn't compete with a Sightron for Range finding, weight or value for money! (Lifetime warranty and secondhand values)

Atb,

Alec.

15. JJ

JJ Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    Sightron or Big Nikko

Hi Rob,
    I'm looking to buy a new scope for FT and its come down to the same two scopes for me to choose between.
    The Sightron seems to have the quality over the Big Nikko by all accounts but is more expensive. However, I've made the mistake of buying cheaper gear and regretting it in the past. So this time I'm going straight for the Sightron rather than buying a Big Nikko only to wish it was a Sightron down the line.
    All the best
    J.J.

16. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

I can range find to better than half a yard between 50 and 55 yards with my 40x Leupold Competotion scope.

I'm quite sure there is no other scope, apart from a 45 Comp, that can beat that.

I've tried every scope on the market with the exception of a March.

Andrew Gillot, current FT champion, has just sold his March to buy his 45x Leopold Competotion.

Any other scope that isn't a Leopold Competition is second best.

17. strangefroot

strangefroot Member

Never heard such ballx horses for courses, a clear scope does'nt make a good range finder A big nikko is either in or out simple, if i look at a 52 yarder to where i can see the nipples on the pellet strikes & then look at a 55 yarder it's blurred simple lupes are clear, clear, crystal, course they work well but you have to learn them like everything, Same as range gaps, people are obsessed with large gaps you don't need em trust me, Anyway ken wares bottle bottom glasses and has the worst case of mixy iv'e ever seen, He'd be better wi a smartie tube with a spiders leg in it ;)

18. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    That's quite an astonishing level of accuracy! Would you say your accurate to 16" or less at 55yrds?

Conor
    PS
    My mate with his March honestly swears that the paddle is slightly out if focus when parallaxed on the faceplate at 50yards!

19. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

I can't knock a Leupold Comp, especially as I've never even looked through one! I quickly sold the one and only Leup I ever bought. Nice glass though!
    I'm suprised you can define the difference between 50,50.5,51,51.5,52,52.5,53,53.5,54,54.5 and 55yards.
    I would like to see anyone acurately identify 11 different ranges between 50 and 55yards!

However, if you have spent any time with a Sightron, you will know it range finds fantastically and can happily seperate 4 or 5 ranges between 50 and 55yards.

Atb,

Alec.

20. ellis d

ellis d Active Member

Club:
    Castle ftc
    If u can shoot as good as you rangefind, im surprised your not the current world champion and not that stumpy little fella...eerrrr wots his face:D:D