Sightron 45x target scope

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by mrgeoff, Sep 16, 2018 at 8:43 AM.

1. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    Anyone have one of these yet? What is the glass like compared to a Leupold Comp?

I shoot indoors now, and my comp 35x is definitely a lot brighter than my old sightron 36x which helps a lot on the less bright indoor lighting.

Will this 45x be less bright anyway due to the higher mag?

Thanks!

Ps, just thinking that what I need to know is the difference between a comp 35x and a comp 45x as I guess people may have used these 2 side by side. Just how dark does a 45x scope get compared to a 35x scope. Not talking bright daylight, but dimly lit indoor range?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 at 12:36 PM
  2. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    " dimly lit indoor range"
    You could always fit brighter lamps :D

3. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard Hillier has made AA Staff Member

Club:
    Oaktree

Same brightness if good scope x45 / x35, not idoor but shot in plenty of dark woods.

4. GaryB

GaryB Member

Club:
    ETL FTC
    Ive just ordered one so will compare against my x35 leup and let you know. I needed more mag so hopefully it ticks my boxes

5. custompaint

custompaint Optics Warehouse

Club:
    Buckley Wood
    scope is in the packing department now Gary, it will be with you tomorrow!

let us know how you get on with it.

6. GaryB

GaryB Member

Club:
    ETL FTC
    Smashing thanks mate appreciated. Just hunting down one of our friendly wheel makers to knock something up so I can use in anger, I’ll keep you updated.

7. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    The Sightron is just as bright as the Leupold Comp, but as I've never used a Comp 35 I can't say if it is brighter or darker than a 45.

RAMBO likes this.
  8. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    Good to know, I’m super tempted if GaryB could let me know as well.

I have the funds stashed away for the hash ret version if/when that comes out, but I am tempted for an upgrade to the benchrest rig too!

9. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    I'd be more than interested in a mil-hash version as well for when my x40 Leup.Comp. finally bites the dust.

10. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    The 35x, 40x and 45x all get dimmer as the mag increases.

Unless Sightron have made some amazing undocumented leap in physics, or used many less lenses, the brightness of a 45x45 Leup Competition should be about the same as the Sightron 45x45. Their FOV are almost identical (2.5ft at 100yds for the Leup, 2.4 for the Sightron) so it suggests their focal lengths are very close to one another and thus their brightness will be, given they're both 45x on 45mm objectives.

You might gain a smidge with different glass and coatings, but we're talking smidges, not 'who switched the lights on/off'...

The Sightron is 580g and the Leup 576, the Sightron almost an inch shorter. The Leup has 1/4" less eye relief.

So they're swimming in the same pond. I'd expect (image quality and gearing aside) for them to perform similar to each other in terms of ranging and light.

Your Sightron is around £1k, which off the shelf you can't get close to with a Leup Comp 45x, they're currently $1k in the USA before import and that's if you can find one.

I've got a good light meter here so with a fixed known source I can actually compare scopes.

11. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    I have done a side by side comparison in the next CompAir....but you will have to subscribe to.......

No I'm not that cruel. Optically there is naff all between them.

For a different reticule you need to contact John Farbrother at Optics Funhouse, he is already talking to Sightron about this.

RobF likes this.
  12. GaryB

GaryB Member

Club:
    ETL FTC
    Well it arrived today and only having a brief look in the garden in very overcast light I like it. Its what i expected. Its darker than my x35 leup as you would expect but against dark trees in poor light I can still see the dot but in fairness as we’ve known for years you either like the dot or not.

If Sightron released an FT ret version tomorrow I’d not be bothered, a simple dot for a simple shooter

NeilM likes this.