1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sightron 10-50x60 scope review (pics)

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Scott in CO, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Scott in CO

Scott in CO New Member

My eyes aren't so good anymore and dark cloudy glass really bugs me. I've been looking for a scope with better glass than my 4200's and my big Nikko. I didn't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on something like the S&B. Next logical step up seems to be the Luepold comp scopes, but I don't like being stuck with the fixed power. -I like to have options! I decided to give this new Sightron a try after reading on the 6mm BR forums how much those guys like the sightron glass.

[​IMG]

I went for the 1/8 moa target dot reticle and mounted it on my .20 GP -I'm thinking Benchrest shooting here... It is a BIG and heavy scope. Feels just about like the Big Nikko in terms of weight and size... First impression is that the glass is VERY bright and clear. First look through had me smiling...

[​IMG]

I tried my best to do an un-biased side-by-side comparison of this scope to some of the others I have here on hand. I printed up a "scope comparison chart" that I found somewhere online and put it out at 45yds. All testing done a high noon in perfect blue skies, although the target sheet was in the shade under a tree. I simple looked through all my scopes and tried to determine which one allowed me to see the most detail. I compared the new Sightron to my Bushnell 8-32 4200, my 6.5-20 leupold EFR, a 14.5-35x premier boosted leupold EFR, and an older version Big Nikko 10-50x60 (black turrests -NOT the newer green ones)...

This is the chart I used:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starting from the low end of magnification, I pointed a bunch of scopes towards the chart 45yds away:

I set my leupold EFR at 20x and was able to read print as small as line 14 on the comaprison chart. Set the Sightron to 20x and was able to clearly read line #12. -The EFR got its but kicked by Sightron...

Bushnell 4200 at 32x let me read line # 11, and the Sightron set at 32x let me read #9 -The 4200 got its but kicked by Sightron...

My premier boosted leupold set at 35x let me read line # 9, and the sightron at 35x also let me read #9. The 1" tube of the premier boosted leupold did really well against the massive 60mm front objective and the 30mm tube of the sightron. At 35x both scopes were even at line #9...

My big Nikko set at 35x let me read line # 10, and the the sightron was good for #9

My big Nikko set a 50x let me read line #9 and the Sightron at 50x also let me read line #9. The sightron is considerably brighter than my Nikko up at 50x, but the eye relief seemed a bit more criticle with the sightron. I was surprised to find that I could make out find details equally well with both scopes up at 50x. My Nikko definietly goes a bit dark and cloudy at 50x. The sightron shows me a slight bit of white-ish haze at 50x, but stays quite bright.
    Because the Nikko goes so dark and cloudy at 50x I use 35x most of the time. The Nikko image really improves by dropping to 35x IMO, and the sightron is beautiful at 35x -crystal clear and bright. It was interesting that after dropping the sightron from 50x to 35 I could still make out line 9 on the chart. When the Nikko dropped from 50x to 35x, the chart reading ability went from line 9 to line 10...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This scope does 10yds at a full 50x no problem. The image seemed to snap in and out just as well if not better than my Nikko. Put a big side-wheel on this scope and I expect it'll be an excellent range-finder... Targets turretts are a nice size, but the clicks are real fine/quiet/sensitive. I prefer more solid feeling audible clicks like the leupolds. They do offer a sun-shade for $49 and sightron lens covers will soon be inlcuded with the scope. Sightron says they'll be sending me covers, (free of charge)as soon as they get teh shipment. The two current reticle choices (target dot and fine CH) might not make for the best FT scope, but at $845 USD this scope is worth a look if you're condsidering a Big Nikko or a Leupold Comp scope. I'm VERY happy with mine for my Bench Rest Airgun...

Regards,

Scott in CO

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Cheers for the report! :)

Looks like there could be another contender out there. I wonder what the prices will be like in the UK...

Can you see if it comes down to 8yds on 50x? That will be of interest to FT shooters here.

3. CoolId

CoolId New Member

£960 from Aim Field Sports when stock becomes available. Not sure about accessories. Had a look at one at Newark and was mighty impressed, but we need an FT'er to give it a real test

Regards

Dave

4. JamesO

JamesO Active Member

Thanks for the review, an interesting read and good to see another option out there for shooters.

James

5. Scott in CO

Scott in CO New Member

I just got out the measuring tape and my laser range-finder...

***CORRECTION*** -the best my scope will do at maximum magnification of 50x is 11yds... Sorry for the incorrect information posted previously. I was sure I was on a 10yd target... Turns out it was actually 11yds... So 8yds is out of the question. I tried 8 yds at 10x and it was still blurry... Sorry...

regards,

Scott in CO

6. RobF

Club:
    No problem Scott, but thanks for checking!

7. azzi_b

azzi_b New Member

Are the reference charts available in a downloadable format ?
    would like to test nikko against schmidt

8. Scott in CO

Scott in CO New Member

I found the targets online, but I'm afraid I can't remember where. Send me an email: (scottdecapio"AT"yahoo.com) and I'll be happy to send a jpg. to you or anyone else who would like one...

I would LOVE to hear the results if you're able to test the Nikko against the S&B...

regards,

Scott in CO

9. RobF

Club:
    found this if you're interested...

Attached Files:

10. Jon

Jon Member

A few chaps in SA have got them so looking forward to honest opinions.
    Glass is supposedly brighter than a Comp Series, so thats going some.

11. suidos

suidos New Member

Hi to all,

I have a Big nikko Mk2 into a HW97K V-match 12 fpe this works fine but I want changed it because the nikko is for a middle recoil. I like a mil-dot shot o dont use clicks and I looking for a 32x mildot scope for a spring gun. Do you know if this or the series III ss are spring gun rated?

Thanks!

Is for FT!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  12. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Got one here and although i know jackshit about FT scopes:D its looks very impressive, if this is anything to go by then really looking forward in seeing the 10x42:cool:

Pete

13. DaveTV

DaveTV Member

Club:
    Who knows....
    Its like an EB with the Hawke half mil ret, that what the glass seemed like when i had a short glance through it at the Shooting Show, but it was indoor and that is deceiving, made the Nightforce and Khales i looked though seem about as good as Hawkes

14. Sparky

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Yes it does look as if it could be a good scope, with the rear pa to could be a winner

Pete

15. Andy006

Andy006 Member

Lincolnshire & Wrexham & Betws-Gwerfil-Goch
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  16. Sparky

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    I'd hang on Andy as the ones that are out are not true mildot hence the delay in the UK.

Regarding the FT scope, Steve Lanyman has said anyone who wants to look at one is welcome to do so at Sywell on Sunday

Pete

17. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    Got a look through this scope yesterday at bisley. the best way to describe it is "absolutley stunning"
    I can see there being a big demand for this scope.
    btw if you don't know steve he will probably be wearing his new Sightron hat at Sywell :)

18. RobF

Club:
    had a peek through Steve's today. Only off a bag, but the rangefinding was consistent even with no wheel on. It also was consistent on lower mags... I did detect a little shift in the range compared to the higher mag, but having a peek at a bush off a beanbag is not a true test by any means. Optically, 40 is tighter than 50, but 50 still resolved well and the picture was quite bright on 50.

Scope seemed very light in weight.

Controls all seem nice, and the target dot is like a falcon or BSA, i think it's thicker than a leup comp's. Field of vew was narrower than expected. Will be interesting to see it on a rifle :)

19. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    Just had a look on the sightron site they now due a mil-dot version of the 10-50 mag
    Any reports off current users of this scope had a look through Steves looked good off a bag at 55 and 45 the only 2 targets out at quarry at the time was repeatable on the little wheel that had a target dot reticule

Gary

20. Jon

Jon Member

Theres three being used in SA, one a member on here and importer who talked them in to doing that type of ret.
    Personally think its a big no, too cluttered if a true 50 mag you will get at least three windage dots within a 40mm kill at 50 yards - rather pointless.