sightmark 10+40 by 56 mil . illum ret . mil dots .

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by holly, Jan 26, 2011.

1. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Just got this tonight .i needed a cheap scope to put on my old GC2 . tried the Big Nikko . to heavy . saw this in the airgun world this month . so bought one to put on my old GC2 . it is i am told a half a pound lighter than the Big Nikko . MK1 , MK2 . finish is matt black . quite decent . turrets are lockable .side parralax is smooth to operate .clicks are good . the illum ret is in the centre of the scope only ( red and green ) . no back glare . good dots , not to big . sunshade , mounts . nice box . it is a big scope mind and not light . i tried it out the back door tonight ( pitch black ) and it does seem to rangefind ??? HOLLY PS will give it run out at the weekend . it could be my imagination , but it did seem to range find out to 70 yards on the flats at the back of me .

2. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Lenses ?

For those who asked about the quality of the lenses on the SightMark . i would say optically it is about the same as a good Custom Shop ? it is not a Leupold by any means .it is a CHEAP scope . So How Cheap you Ask ? scope ,lens covers ,Sunshade ,mounts , delivered to your door . £228 , cheap enough for you . i got mine from the states off E-bay . the name to look for is "OPTICALFACTORY" delivery time 7 days . price includes pay pal charges .i e-mailed em on sunday night . i got a reply in ten mins . can you imagine that here ? there is no sidewheel with the scope cos it is used over there to shoot full bore . i had a quick look out the window on getting home with it and it repeated the tree at the bottom of the road ( 40 yards ) with no problem on 32 mag .i will take it down the club sunday and wring it's neck against the Big Nikkos and the BSAs . i can see this being a VERY popular scoppe if it works sunday at this price i do not think you can go wrong . but we will see ??? HOLLY

3. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    When you get chance what does the parallax do? Snaps in like a Nikko or more subjective like a Leupold? How well does it seem put together, think it would survive a springer?

4. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Springer ?

In the states they use em on on full bore rifles . Google it . so it should be all right for springers . they do smaller ones as well . even cheaper . as far as i can tell it snaps in like a Big Nikko . but i think dark wise 32 mag would be tha max . at least for me . but then i am an old fart . sunday will tell when i pass it around the lads at the club . ??? HOLLY

5. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Today ?

Today i ran the scope through it's paces . i have written it up on the FT section of the airgunforum . to long to do again . but basically if you have trouble rangefinding this could well be the scope for you . especially if money is a problem . i call it the barracuda . cos it snap's in like nothing i have ever used . no really and it does that on 24 mag for dark targets and 28 for anything else . have a look and see what you think ??? HOLLY

6. Ripleysniper

Ripleysniper Team Walther 2011

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    Holly I will believe it when I look through it your eye's are old and knackered and your judgement is bollox.:D:D:p:p

7. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Yeah ?

yeah you are probably right . BUT i am not selling this little bugger . it is staying on the GC2 . one of the things i like about this is that if shooters take it up big time . the price of the cheaper FT scopes MUST come down . who in there right mind is gonna pay £ 400 upwards if you can get something to do the job for a lot , lot , less . this is no Zos . i have had one and did a job , but made my eyes hurt after a while and would have trouble on a dark target . with this you just mag down till you can see it and it still reads the same . now imagine that with a bloody great sidewheel on it . might work , might not . but for the price of a years car tax . i am enjoyimg myself ??? HOLLY:):D

PS and just suppose , i manage by a fluke to beat Rob with his meggabucks March scope . with my lump of junk ? do you think he will ever come out of his house again . will he surf to work . or will he be wearing ashes and sack cloth . oh the fun of it ??? HOLLY

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  8. steg

steg Member

Club:
    Emley Moor
    Holly gonna watch this with intrest....but if you're just trying to wind Rob up (would you?:rolleyes:) It's gonna be disapointing come the GPs when we ask you to prove it

9. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Try ?

You just know i am gonna try ??? HOLLY

10. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Sidewheel ?

I have dug out all my old spare sidewheels and found that one of the old 20+50 ones fit's it . on the spindle . it just needs the flange on it machined off and it should be good to go . it was while fiddling with this that i noticed that the scope goes from 10 yards to infinity in half a turn of the parralax knob . ohwerrrr , the markings are gonna be tighter than my dogs bum and that is watertight . interesting innit ??? HOLLY:):D

11. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    The SightMark at Last .

Finally got a wheel to fit the sightmark and took it down the club to try . i can honestly say i have never seen anything like this scope for ranging . bad bits . heavy ( bout the same as a nikko / BSA ) optics , to dark on 40 mag for me . some colouring around the edges of the objective lens . needs a big sidewheel to get the markings for the range at a decent gap . Good bits , the rangeing . i worked up from 20 mag to see what it would repeat ranges on ? i found the 28 mag was as high as i needed to go . it would repeat 50 yards spot on every time on 28 mag . this was tried by four good shooters with S&Bs and some with Marches . they were astonished that a £ 250 quid scope could do this . the turrets are lockable with good clicks .it also has an illuminated ret . green and red . works well with no back glare . sunshade is extra , mounts are in with it and lens protectors . i looked on the interweb and a firm in england is selling em for £ 250 . if you do not have a lot of dosh , then it might be worth having a look . i tend to keep cheap kit and shift em around on various rifles . so this is a keeper ??? HOLLY:):D

12. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Newby on the sightmark .

I bought the wife a lupe to go on her steyr . but the scope needs reparralaxing as it is a bit vague . to stop her going on about it , i put the sightmark on the rifle so she would be able to shoot at the club . i zeroed it and marked up the sidewheel . only sidewheel i had that fitted it , bit small . but got all the markings on from 30 to 55 yards and remembering that my missus is a complete novice at FT . she repeated all the ranges that i had set up on the wheel to the exact markings on the side wheel on the zero range . now i have never set up a scope before and it has suited anybody else ??? HOLLY:):D

13. SDplinker

SDplinker Pellet testing...yawn

Club:
    CASA - California Airgun Shooters Association
    I told myself I wouldn't buy cheap glass but you are tempting me holly. A shooting buddy has a milky Tasco for nearly half the Sightmark price. Might have a go at that one first then check out the Sightmark. Keep us posted on how your wife gets on with it. For all we know they make them in the same factory as more esteemed brands.

14. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Usual

It is the usual thing , you need to try one before you buy one so to speak . i bought it out of curosity . when you buy a cheap scope what normally happens is that you have to mag it up to get any decent rangefinding . then of course it gets dark and milky .defeating the object of it . this scope range finds on 28 mag . if you are not mega fussy , it will do it on 24 mag . paul on here tried it and sam bar . both of them have multi thousand pound scopes and are not mugs . they both came up with the same ranges when they tried it . like i say untill i try the turrets ( been using the mil dots ) i won't know how good they are . but for what it cost , i am not gonna sell it ??? HOLLY:)
    PS made i believe by yukon the russian firm . i have one of there spotting scopes .

15. SDplinker

SDplinker Pellet testing...yawn

Club:
    CASA - California Airgun Shooters Association
    Checking in on the Sightmark.... anything new to report? I'd love to hear how it does in a match, informal or otherwise.

16. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Try ?

I have since got a Big nikko and A Big Bsa so have not had time to try it seriously . if that is all you can aford , buy one .but really if you have leupold money , then get one of those mate . quality will out ??? HOLLY:):D

17. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Hi Holly, have you tried re-parallax the front to see if it makes any difference to the gaps, you said it PA'd from 10 to infinity in half a turn, it would be interesting if you PAd it down to around 70yds max, then see what it could do. Neil.

18. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Can't

I cannot be arsed at the mo . getting the house ready to sell and go into retirement ( i hope ) pity you are not neare or you coulkd have had a go ??? HOLLY:)

19. spike72

spike72 Member

Club:
    Tondu
    should i buy one

hi i done my first shoot at tondu a few weeks ago did'nt do very well so looking for a reasonable range finding/parallax scope is the sightmark still going ok cheers Spike

20. miller

miller Member

Hi spike I used one of these scopes last winter in the midland winter league on a springer,put some decent scores in. I use a four inch wheel,up to 40 yards gaps are quite big but between 45- 55 they are on the small side,even so when set up it ranges very consistently and bang on your marks.
    Setting up the scope was tricky as I have a high rail the scope ran out of adjustment and although it has eight revs on the turret it seems as though only the first three or four turns seem to work.Plenty of packing needed under rear mount.Optically it is what it is,used between 32-36 mag usable but for the price wouldn`t expect any more.Just put it on my Ripley this afto zeroed at 30 yards after five shots but lookingdown my back yard at about thirty degrees away from the setting sun remembered the only problem I had last winter was low sun and the scope whiting out,best to have a butler creek so you can cover some of the objective lens.Will have a go at setting it up over weekend.
    All in all good value scope with very repeatable rangefinding,mildots are small and unobtrusive dont know how good they`d be as aim points,illuminated ret works well in red and green only mildot section lights up so it`s not too bright.
    hope this is helpful folks will let you know how I get on over weekend.
    cheers Pete.