SideWheel Ranges

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by saddler, Mar 15, 2011.

1. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    When you mark your sidewheel, do you find that the distance between the ranges reduces evenly?

I've found that most do, but the 40-45 yard distance is slightly less than the 45-50 yard gap.
    I've checked it several times, but I just assumed that the distances would gradually reduce.

2. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    They do reduce down on my 45 mag Leup Comp

3. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    Maybe I'm just not use to the Leup yet but it repeated several times.
    At least I've got something to blame when I miss... :confused:

4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    They do on all mine and all i have ever had, but i have seen two scopes where they didn't. One was really bad, gaps 40-45 were the same as 50-55 (2-3mm apart), yet 45-50 was about twice as wide as either. Another scope i know had it's 40 offset. Both were debens.

I double checked the worst one myself, because i didn't believe the owner. I even blind tested it by not telling the owner which ranges we were doing to see if it was psychological. It still came in the same. Very odd. As it was vague at 50-55 and not the best optically, it was replaced by a better performing scope. But i'd say if it's working, then fine.

Have you plotted them against a graph? If the curve is smooth (give or take a click) then i'd say fine. If you have a bump in that as well, i'd double check.

Here's my graph for the march on my walther running at 808 fps with just sportsmatch adjustables, no rail. The march is 1/8 moa per click, and my 40 is 2 clicks out, and my 50 1 click out. However, i have taken my 55 to be bang on, when in reality it's a click or two high perhaps... but it allows me to see any really horrible bumps. I know the markings decrease smoothly, so it must then indicate another issue if i see one. I found one at 20 yds, which must have been a mis read of my dial, so just followed the graph and used that instead which was fine. The difference at 10yds i am not worried about, as it's a few clicks but at 10 yds, one 1/8 moa is 0.08 inches or there abouts.

Strangely, my march and tasco both decrease at close ranges at the same rate, yet the march's gaps don't get as small as fast... i was worried when i first set her up, as my tasco has got about 2-3 mm 50-55 on a large wheel, but the march has about 4mm on it's smaller wheel, and the sweep is about the same angle...

i wonder if anyone knows the maths behind the ranges and how they diminish. I expect there could be a factor for each scope, but the trend seems similar.

Attached Files:

5. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    I'm not that far down the line.
    I've got my clicks from Chairgun and checked them at 10, 25 and 55 yards, they were spot on.
    I checked the distances on our measured lane, and kept finding the gap between 40-45 a couple of mm less than the 45-50.
    It's the 40 yard distance that doesn't seem to fit the curve, and I checked it a couple of times and it repeated OK.

I was just wondering if my assumption that the distances would reduce evenly was correct.
    If it is, I was obviously mis-ranging the 40 yarder.
    Not unknown.... :eek:

6. RobF

Club:
    How big are your gaps. Bear in mind that on my march, they're about 6-7mm (from memory) at 40yds... on a leup comp, that could be 3 feet :D

I know one handy leup comp shooter who says his gaps are so big he's not even sure if the thing shifts or not, because even if it shifted by something like 5mm, his gaps are so big he wouldn't be more than a yd or so out.

With the march being so snappy and precise, i went for a thin pointer... if i'd gone with something thicker, i could have added to the problem... perhaps it's just a thickness of a line out with a thick pointer?

If it works though, i wouldn't worry about it...

7. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    35-40 yards is 19mm... *

read em and weep March boy.... :D

(* - assuming I've ranged 40 yards correctly :eek:)

8. RobF

Club:
    someone once described leupolds to me as like a stunning girlfriend with large attractive qualities, but of whom you're never quite sure of trusting after you found her and your best mate in the cloakroom one new year's eve... :D

9. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    blimey, what's Helen been putting in that cake? :eek:

10. RobF

Club:
    Wasn't me who said it :D

11. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    You could be out

Correctly???,

Knowing you Phil........ Dount it heehee......

Berty

12. Miss England

Miss England Mr. Kipling has nothing on me

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers, South Dorset, Parkstone
    Well seeing as it was my scope that you are talking about I guess I had better put my few cents in..... :D :D

Having had a scope that as Rob said had "Odd" gaps where the 40 and 45 were a hairs breath apart then a large gap and another hairs breath between 50 and 55 there are two arguements....

The scope (A Debens) was a long standing scope used by my dad before me and when I took it on I had no idea of relative gaps between the ranges on my side wheel, I simply ranged, marked and was away.... The clicks were accurate every time, but I did struggle with my longer range targets. I assumed this was down to lack of practice. Once Rob kindly pointed out to me that I must have "weird eyes" to come up with such a pattern I painstakinly re-did my ranges many times all with the same results....

As I say my clicks were accurate, but the problem came in distinguishing the range reading on my wheel. Where they were so damn close together (a pen line apart if that) what it failed me on was accuratley ranging 40 and 45 and 50 and 55. I always fell down on my long targets through mis-ranging...... Now I have a Walther custom scope courtesy of a rather generous shooter :D :D I no longer have any worries with my long range targets.... well put it this way I can accuratly get the range.... just leaves me to hit the damn thing.... easier said than done with pesky wind...... :p ;)

Seriously tho speaking from experiance (I dont have much but what I do have I dont mind sharing ;)) if your kit is failing you, speak to someone and get some pointers on fixing it as it will not only improve your chances at hitting the target, but self esteem and confidence soon grows when the set up does what it was built to do and knocks em down...... Also it may not always be the kit.... position, technique etc does play a big part too....

13. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    Oh I see, you March boys sticking together eh?

Have I touched a nerve regarding the tiny gaps you boys have to make do with? :D

14. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Gapsizes etc

Phil,

Just wondered what diameter is the wheel your using fella?????

Berty

15. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    I think it's 100mm, it's a Nick Murphy one.

I've heard you've got a particularly small one...

16. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    100 mm wheel

So you havent got anything there you could measure upto or over 100mm Phil?? God bless yourself you poor widdle thing you haaaahaaaaaaa......

Mine is 92mm in diameter, Im waiting on Jon to send me a 100mm wheel.

I might have a small one but I have a very quick action thankfully haahaa...

Berty

17. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    I have only got 70mm's Berty:D:D:D:D:shot:

18. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    70mm

Steve,

Leave your girth out of this please haahaaaaa....

Berty

19. Jon

Jon Member

I will confirm the sporadic distances around 40 to 47 yards with two mark 1 Tascos and 7 Mark 2 Tascos same as a BSA.

Now Phillip, i know exactly where you set it up and its the light!
    Move the board and yourself in 10 yards to confirm.
    On the other hand if done in that field Sat forget it.

March are progressive so are the clicks.
    8mm 50 to 55 on 4 1/2", 6mm 55 to 60 way too much looks like doing a 3 1/2 to 4 ". Yours wont fit mine Berty:D made it lost it:eek: