Shorting the barrel

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by blueboy, Mar 26, 2020 at 11:34 AM.

1. blueboy

blueboy Member

Club:
    Millride F T C
    Hi just wondered what your thoughts are on Shortening a FTP900 Barrel, I have done this before but did not shoot it long enough to get any results.
    The Std barrel length is 485mm 19" 3/32 inch long, taking off 3".
    You may have to increase the reg pressure, or get away with std set up, will have to increase hammer pressure slightly, or open both ports up, for more are due to shorter barrel.
    Would lv to here from anyone that has done this and to hear if the barrel flip will increase, accuracy still the same or worse, also cylinder will need shortening as well, lowering shot count.
    Cheers.

2. Simonev2

Simonev2 Member

Club:
    Misfits
    I did this on my sons ftp a few years ago took 3” off the barrel and cylinder it was all set up by tench but once back it actually tightened up the group’s and the drop was lower at 45 yards. The first time he used it at the worlds hft he got 51 on the second day then he gave up. So stupidly sold it.

3. blueboy

blueboy Member

Club:
    Millride F T C
    Hi Cheers for that.

4. Jose Colon-Torres

Jose Colon-Torres New Member

Club:
    AFTAC
    I think that the most obvious and less discussed result is that by shortening the barrel, you also shorten the time the pellet is on the barrel. The faster the pellet leaves the gun, the less time the shooter has to ruin the shot. Therefore tighter groups.
    Cheers from Puerto Rico...