1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Short promo video from NZ

Discussion in '2010 Events' started by greyskullnz, Oct 26, 2010.

1. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

2. tres vintes

tres vintes New Member

Very nice video! :)

Thanks Mate.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  3. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Nice video - tell the guy at 1:47 to take a serious look at his trigger technique if he wants to stop having to shake his head after a shot ;)

4. rich

rich Active Member

Just reading the NZAFTA rules regarding target placement, as there was a comment that some found the course too hard, many scoring less than half the targets.

I see that the rules don't specify a kill zone size so I guess they are all the default 40mm with no reducers. Also the target distance can be from 10m to 60m. :eek:

5. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Looks good to me not unlike some of our grounds over here when is the worlds likely to be over their assuming that we will be able to get a temporary fire arms certifiacte from the NZ government.(maybe now would be aa good time to start the enquiries because if the NZ government is like ours it will take years to try to sort something out)

6. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Our conventions allow as small as 20mm reducers out to 30 yards, anything in between 20mm and 40mm elsewhere. It was not hard for PCP's. It was hard for spring piston rifles and those not used to FT.

If there had been any wind at all, it would have been hard, but there wasn't. It was very hot and breathless, which caused its own problems.

The target KZ size and placemement was not an issue. Shooter experience was for some the biggest disadvantage.

It was after all said and done the New Zealand Championship match, and therefore there were no Gimmes. Most of your fellas would have cleared it. :D

GS

7. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

There was a section not shown in the video where we shot into the "woods", from an open field, as well as the gully section. It was the first time many of our shooters had shot a 50 shot course (as opposed to 25 shots done twice).

Worlds could be as close as 5 years away in NZ, depending on the hosts ahead of us on the list pulling out.

Visitors Firearms Licence will be no problem, for competition shooting we will provide an official letter to accompany the application. I will be working on streamlining it as much as possible well before time, as Police do not consider the FT crowd a problem. It is the Big Bores they want to get under control, so it should be a rubber stamp process.

Hoping we will run an additional class alongside the main event, in which open class rifles will be able to be used. Hoping some USFT guys will come over as well from the states, and make it more inclusive.

GS

8. rich

rich Active Member

Thanks for coming back, GS.

Could I ask, do you set a percentage limit on the number of reducers? Are you allowed to have a reduced kill positional shot, viz., stander or kneeler?

If you have 20mm kills out to 60 metres then even on a wind-free day that is no gimme, surely. That's more than 2 kills drop between 55 and 60 so rangefinding is really critical.

9. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Thanks Gs for the reply it would appear that your guys have got probably the rareist commodity on planet earth (Common sense) it will be a long trip to make but if i can physicly and financially i will be there to share your hospitallity and what looks like some fine shooting land, 5 years is not really a long time away all the best
    steve page

10. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    could be one hell of a tour... :)

11. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

20mm only go out to 30 yards, but can be in forced positional lanes. We try to make smaller kills closer in, where range is restricted rather than put em out far. That is not the game,.....40mm are just as difficult when wind gets up. There was only one target that was over the regulation distance, I discovered that when I split it myself, being 20mm kill out at 41 yards exactly. We must have missed that one when we set up, being dog tired and wandering round like zombies most of that day. It was not the norm though.

TBH 55 yards has become the normal maximum range for us. For a Worlds, you could confidently expect 20mm to 30 yards, 30mm to 40 yards, 40mm out to 55 yards. Positionals would be most likely standers to 30 yards, kneelers to 40 yards max and this "may" include reducers appropriate to that distance depending on expected wind. The only twist is thatwhen building a course, I personally like to mix up uncomfortable firing points with inclines and declines, so its not "benchrest in the woods". Still a test of skill rather than a lottery.......which is the point of your post I gather?

Reducers are not limited to a percentage of the course, but I would envisage 25% max to be appropriate, so pretty much same as BFTA main shoot rules. Our rules are evolving over time to be in line with WFTF core rules, but still accommodate the high power" open class" that is traditional here. There is nothing quite like blasting away with a 30 ft/lbs Daystate or AA S410..........:D Gotta realise that 12 ft/lbs is new to us, and we are just still putting that in place........but at the weekend, the high scores of the match were from the few 12 ft/lbs rifles in attendance......so slowly getting there.

Dunno about the common sense part, but its still very user friendly over here. We'll be looking forwards to it. Despite the new Air Rifle regulations, its still the best place in the world for shooting here.

cheers
    GS

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2010
  12. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Oh quite right........

Tourism is our middle name! (or is it Hobbit/LOTR)

Talk to anyone that's been for a holiday here, they'll tell you its got lots of interest. May not be any African game safaris on offer, almost everything else on tap if you know the right people.

Just a warning, the beer over here is served COLD. The way it SHOULD be.:D

If you are into Trout, bring your rod!.......best fishing sport in the World. Marlin, tuna and other game fish on organised blue water charters too.

cheers
    GS

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2010
  13. rich

rich Active Member

Thanks GS. I was interested because there's a debate beginning here about the number and size of reducers and if they should be allowed or even encouraged on the UK national scene. Locally here in the SW of England we've operated to a set of rules that have allowed quite a lot more reducers, up to 40 %. It's led to a diversity of courses across the region, but we are now seeing a bit of a backlash after one or two course builders IMHO rather overdid it.

We'd allow 25mm positionals out to 20 yards, which for a kneeler is not all that testing, it just makes a change from a full size kill at say 35 yards. 20mm to 30 yards, 30mm to 40 yards and full size beyond that sounds quite reasonable.

How long do your targets last if you blast them with 30 ft.lb? :D

14. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Ahem,..........that's why the reducer rings are there,......aftermarket reinforcement!

After panel beating all the club targets a few times after lending them out for National matches, we decided at our club that reducer plates steel riveted onto the front was the order of the day to protect the targets.

Anyone wanting to borrow our club targets after that had to deal with the reducers as part of the deal.

Don't get me wrong, I love shooting 40mm KZ out to full distance,.......but after SA we thought we had better up our game as far as reducers are concerned. There's always some will make comment about the difficulty of reducers, you know what I am talking about.

People aren't put off by the difficulty of a course. They get anxious about what other people will think of them and their ability. Some are scared of failure so they don't try in the first place, so we try to make it all about having fun and participation rather than competitiveness (well, some of us try).

GS

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2010