Shooting withdrawn from Junior Modern Pentathlon?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by RobF, Nov 17, 2009.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    This is around on a few forums... for those pistol shooters here it might be of interest.

Modern Pentathlon authorities have decided to substitute a laser pointing event instead.

There's a 'test' of the new laser system here

Personally I don't think it's shooting, and the event should be renamed as 'pointing' and perhaps sponsored by Nintendo... the logic of using converted pistols bemuses me to the point where I wonder why they need to even be pistols and not glorified playstation controllers... but there we go.

No, it's not a wind up.

2. raygun

raygun Non member

No requirement for ear protection then :rolleyes:

ATB
    Ray.

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Never really was with 10m air pistols... ;) :)

4. Big Si

Big Si Member

Another nail in the coffin of scouts and youngsters shooting :mad: :mad:.
    When will it ever end I wonder?

Si

5. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Will the last person to hand his gun in for destruction please turn the gun club lights off :mad:

6. nyamazan

nyamazan New Member

It's been proven, in a £5 000 000 study, that teaching youngster to shoot at targets turns them into AK47 wielding bank robbers.
    We have the same mentality this side. Schools went from shooting .22 rimfire to .177 air rifles to zero. As a result we now have no crime here in S.A.

7. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

his certainly rings true :mad:

Wii shooting from now on :mad:

8. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Consider all the video games where "point and shoot" is the prime skill learned by MILLIONS of youngsters over the last couple of decades,.......and there we have the source of the problem.

Shooting sport is not an entry into a violent and callous lifestyle,.......... but constant reinforcement in front of a screen, using weapons to" virtually" kill and destroy with no more consequence than a "game over" message IMHO is the problem.

The fast moving images and hypnotic effect of the screen basically brainwashes young minds.

I think all video and computer games should be subject to a Firearms License!

GS

9. FUBAR

FUBAR New Member

:D:D:D:D.........:rolleyes: they way kids are these days is not down to playing video games its all down to the parents and how they raise there child, show me a child till he is seven and i shall show you the man.

10. Big Si

Big Si Member

This is so true you would not believe it. I get to work with them after that age and some of them are already gone to far, alot has to be said for transactual analisis.

Si