Shooting jackets

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Peter Trimmer, May 12, 2019.

1. Peter Trimmer

Peter Trimmer Member

Looking through pics from ft shoots and most guys are wearing shooting jackets.

Why?

2. Mark Stenton

Mark Stenton 20% off RAF

Club:
    Emley Moor
    Yeah weird in it. a shooting jacket for shooting. wonder why they use rain coats when it's raining.

3. Peter Trimmer

Peter Trimmer Member

I'm not taking the Michael. Genuine question.

What benefit does it give? How does it help?

Smart Alex answers don't help.

It's a sport I'm interested in and wouldn't mind a go at. Is your response typical or am I being overly sensitive?

Tarzan, garym and terryn like this.
  4. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    That’s quite mild from Mark and if you’re over sensitive in here the vultures will have you.

They are stiff and restrictive limiting movement and have grip in all the correct areas, and can and do stabilise and support your position; personally I don’t like shooting jackets for FT as I like to be all loose and unrestricted.
    When used correctly for standing position they do give an advantage.

5. ellis d

ellis d Active Member

Club:
    Castle ftc
    People are wearing shooting jackets because they see other shooters wearing them and they think they are at a disadvantage if they don’t wear one !! It’s up to the individual at the end of the day if it works or not....?

top gun phil and Welsh Wizard like this.
  6. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    It was sitting in my wardrobe doing nothing having been bought for prone (which I gave up). At precisely the same shoot Mr Osborne had the same idea about his, which happened to be the same make and model. I think we should have bought shares in the company.

It seemed to help with consistency for me, it fits the same every day of the week and I could wear it in a much wider range of conditions than anything else. The grip on the fore-arm is good for kneelers and standers and when it fits right (or i fit it right) there is support in the right places and flex where it's wanted.

Peter Trimmer likes this.
  7. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    It’s like putting on a suit and tie for the office, gets you in the right frame of mind before business commences.
    During the winter it’s a welcome extra layer to keep the wet and cold out for a bit, less so in the Summer as you ‘enjoy’ the benefits of your own personal Turkish bath...;)
    No pressure to wear one, but if used correctly a shooting coat can help on positionals and as a bonus if done up really tight can reposition any stray wobbly bits to take years off you..:D

Peter Trimmer and Schutz shooter like this.
  8. Peter Trimmer

Peter Trimmer Member

Thanks, I was just curious as to how they helped.

C.Eaton likes this.
  9. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    Best bet is to try with and out if you can find someone wiling to lend you their relatively unsoiled jacket, though bear in mind that some of the FT fraternity are avid soap dodgers so always best to check armpit hair for any unwelcome lodgers afterwards...;)

blacklab and Peter Trimmer like this.
  10. Pauly5

Pauly5 Member

Club:
    Kuku FT club. NZ
    I have just started wearing one, and it supports my core and makes me more stable in all positions.

If no one else wore them I may not have tried one, but I know it helps me.

Peter Trimmer likes this.
  11. nat

nat Active Member

I got one a couple of years ago mainly due to worsening health and hoping it would help give me some support. It does!

However I think I need a smaller one for the summer as mine is good for winter (layers) but not as supportive in summer.

Peter Trimmer and C.Eaton like this.