Shooting in the wind.

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Spencer Freeman, Mar 3, 2019.

1. scannerzer

scannerzer New Member

Club:
    mid ulster air rifle club
    I've gone from one extreme to the other, for months I've been underestimating the wind and giving it too little ,now I've got brave and I'm giving it too much...it seems you just can't win lol

Spencer Freeman likes this.
  2. Spencer Freeman

Spencer Freeman Member

It seems to be a mix of science and gut instinct lol.

3. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    It’s more gut instinct than you think.
    After you’ve been shooting for a while in diverse wind conditions all that information is quietly stored away in your sub-conscious fire-computer if you like.
    The next time you take a similar shot your sub-conscious lines the shot up based on what your fire-computer is telling it, then you go and spoil the shot by applying conscious thought and moving the aim point, because you know best - you don’t...;)
    So bottom line is if you want to get better in wind, shoot in it whatever the conditions and above all if you look through the scope and the cross-hairs settle at a particular point that is the computed aim, so don’t change it!

Spencer Freeman and garym like this.
  4. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Use the Force, Luke!

Pavel likes this.
  5. terryn

terryn Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen
    Forget the science and go with gut instinct,

Terry

Spencer Freeman and C.Eaton like this.
  6. FPoole

FPoole Active Member

In odd wind conditions, look for all the misses on the face plate. At one shoot we have a target that is almost always in a left to right wind. All the misses are to the left and low. I aimed high and right, even though it was obviously the wrong side, and made the shot. This target is almost always downwind of an earthen mound with a solid wooden fence at the top of the mound. The wind apparently comes up and over, then drops down and swirls back to the left. I don't know if this is so, but it is almost always the case with this particular position. I shoot squadded with guys using 20 ft. lb. rigs and it gets a bit hard watching them not having to aim off the KZ when my sub 12 ft. lb. TX is aimed out into the wild blue yonder.:D

Darron likes this.
  7. Darron

Darron Dwarf Slayer

Club:
    Blackbrook FTC
    If its not sub 12ftlb its simply just NOT FT

8. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    Well, it certainly was a case of shooting in the wind yesterday for those brave souls that headed out.
    I went to Iceni primarily to drop Nat’s 9015 back to her but also to have a shoot round one of the best courses in the country.
    The wind was so strong that the treetops were clattering together with small branches coming down, at ground level all the banks and humps conspired to throw your shot off course.
    Everyone was using their most extreme windage and faceplate misses were common as the pellet was whipped away in the teeth of the gale.
    Bottom line is that you don’t learn anything not shooting in conditions like that, you need the experience to give confidence that it’s not a problem. Adapt and overcome.
    Nat top scored with a 24/30 which is a good measure of how well she is shooting this year. I was one target down on her which given the conditions I was happy with...:D

Barry, nat, SamBro87 and 2 others like this.
  9. pbrown

pbrown :)

Club:
    Black Cat HFT
    Yesterday afternoon we put 10 targets out at the windy end of our course, it was an educational and confidence building few hours. :)

C.Eaton and subaru swift like this.
  10. Suffolk Rifle

Suffolk Rifle Member

Club:
    Iceni
    You forgot to mention that on some lanes, the wind was strong enough to push people off aim. Not sure if it was the wind, but we got some very strange impact points, which means that I'll be cleaning barrels (& fixing a hamster) this week!

C.Eaton likes this.