Shooting hft with a leupold 3-9x33 efr

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by BruceGill, Dec 1, 2012.

1. BruceGill

BruceGill New Member

Club:
    Springfield ARC
    Hi guys

Bought my self a little leupold 3-9x33 efr (don't have it yet, it's being posted Monday)

Anyone shoot HFT with one these or any other scope with a duplex ret?

Just looking for pointers regarding aim points etc... And what they're like to use. Good, I hope :)

Thanks
    Bruce

2. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Seem to remember 30 yard zero gives a 45yard top of thick post aim point.Approx 1 MD on 9x but check first.

You will find most shots will be taken ok with crosshairs or top of kill plus top of thick post as mentioned.

Actually they are not very good for HFT! Just let me know if you decide to sell though.;)

3. BruceGill

BruceGill New Member

Club:
    Springfield ARC
    Thanks mate. Hoping that's sarcasm on the last bit lol.

Anyone else use one?

4. skires

skires Well-Known Member

I shot over 8 years HFT with a standard 30/30 ret.

Aim points all depend on how high the scope is above the bore.

Mine was on a springer and about 1.5 inches above the bore on medium mounts.

Aim points ... very basically ... 0.177 780fps 8.4gr pellet. @ 9x.

35 yard zero ... aim bang on with cross hairs.

40 yards ... aim cross hairs top of kill.

45 yards ... aim top of bottom bar.

@ 15 yards to 30 yards cross hairs on bottom of kill ( poi will be between about half way between cross hairs and bottom of top bar and a quarter up from cross hairs ).

13 back on zero ... aim bang on.

10 to 12 ... aim top of kill.

8 and 9 were a bit tricky as you practise and work out where on the thick bottom bar you had to aim. It was roughly just below bottom bar on centre of kill for 9 and about half the distance of the thin line again down bottom bar for 8.

Just a rough guide for you ... always best to spend the time on the practice range and work out what's best for you and your set up.

5. BruceGill

BruceGill New Member

Club:
    Springfield ARC
    Thanks mate! really helpful.

normally i zero at 30 but think i might have a play around. appreciate your insight.

My set up sounds similar... Though I'm going to try it on the PCP first to get used to shooting with it as then I'll know it's me not getting on with the scope, not me being crap with my springer AND not getting on with the scope :eek:

Looking forward to trying it out.

Thanks again
    Bruce

6. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Are you sure it is a 30/30? - sounds more like a 15/15 to me.

7. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    I think 30 yard zero makes more sense as you have said, especially for std crosshair ret, but I dont want to start all the usual best zero distance argument.
    I think that you will have less aimpoints to remember on 30 yards zero though.

Good luck.

8. skires

skires Well-Known Member

I always thought it was a 30/30?

It's a Simmons Pro Air 4-12x40.

At 9x the thick bar comes in at about 1 Mildot.

9. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    I think that is a 15/15.

A 30/30 will measure 30 inch between thick posts at 100 yards - a 15/15 is 15 inch (as far as I am aware)

10. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Ah ok thanks for that.

If you do a search for pro air 4-12x40 it keeps mentioning 30/30 ret ... can't find anything mentioning 15/15.

I used to use some very very basic bracketing of the kill to range with mine. However this was in the days when kills were 25mm and 45mm. On 9x a 45mm kill would just fill the cross hair to tip of bottom bar at my zero of 35 yards. At 40 yards it would be noticably under that bar ( about 8/10 ) and at 45 yards it would be very obviously under ( about 6/10 ). If it was bigger than the bottom bar it would be 30 yards or less so aim bottom of kill. Very basic stuff.

11. BruceGill

BruceGill New Member

Club:
    Springfield ARC
    Thanks for all your help guys! Aways woundered what 30/30 meant. Looking forward to getting the scope! As long as I can get on with no Mildots, which it sounds like I should be able to :)

12. James0807

James0807 Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Hi mate.

The scope you mention is a good scope but it is limited in it's potential for HFT. You need to have a reticle with multiple aim points. The leupold tmr reticle is the best for the job I have come across as it gives so many options regarding aim points and scope height.

Regards

13. BruceGill

BruceGill New Member

Club:
    Springfield ARC
    Thanks mate. I know it would be easier with aim points on there but was really keen on trying the 30/30. Plus the TMR was on nothing under £800 I think. Way out of my budjet!

I've shot with SCB's and Hawke 10x half mildots and find then to busy. Ended up with normal Mildots on my lightstream. Much prefer this. Needed another scope as I was constantly changing the lightstream between two guns. Thought I'd try this out as if I don't get on with it for HFT it can be my hunting rifle on my sub 12.

Cheers
    Bruce

14. herx77

herx77 Member

The Bodyboarding capitol of Hertfordshire.
    Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    Used a Zeiss 3-9x36 with duplex reticle,through out the 80's for FT and HFT in the 2004 on.Worked ok was good for bracketing on 40 and 45's and laterly smaller dias.Successful until I used GC2 and Bushnell,Mark Cammacio uses one and again is in the upper lists of winners.
    HERX77 .