SFT (Sporter Field Target) - why not give it a try?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by skeet_200, Mar 29, 2012.

1. skeet_200

skeet_200 New Member

I've just read that there might not be an SFT class at this year's NEFTA Classic, owing to a lack of participants.

Having shot SFT for a few years, I find it hard to understand why more people don't shoot in the SFT class on a regular basis - after all it's effectively the same as normal FT but with the extra challenge of not being allowed to use scope parallax to range-find.

To me SFT combines the best of FT and HFT - the long range precision possible from most shots in the (comfortable) sitting position, along with the simplicity/purity of unaided rangefinding - but without having to lay in the mud on an HFT course!

Relying on "human eyeball mark 1" for ranging is to me far more satisfying than trying to make a scope do what scopes were never intended to do! Sure it's a bit more difficult than regular FT and it requires some understanding of trajectory but I thought most people in FT liked a challenge?!

2. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

To be honest SFT has little to do with HFT, it's more like Classic FT.

Fair enough you can use the same kit but you really need to take shots sitting which most HFT shooters never do & getting into a stable sitting position takes some time. Yes you can take the shots prone but from a less stable position with no guarantee of a clear shot at the target.

3. majic79

majic79 New Member

I thought HFT allowed any stance at the pegs (so you could go for sitting if that's your thing?), unless it specifies kneeling/standing - and likewise doesn't allow parallax rangefinding

sorry, I'm a bit new to this :D

4. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

No Sorry, sitting is not allowed in HFT, well I should actually say it's not allowed in UKAHFT;)

5. majic79

majic79 New Member

Ahh, I'm confusing kneeling with sitting - like i said, I'm new here ;)

6. Tye

Tye Shabba

Club:
    Moxons ARC, Tamworth SG,Welsh Covert SG, Whittington GC, Greyhound GC
    I be interested in that especially down in midlands as I'm a hunter and I never lie down. I regularly use hides and sit as more walking about more noise so quarry hears you. I also shoot firearms 17hmr 223 222 and 22 these shots are taken from inside 4x4 or a hide or back of frame on 4x4. I do agree sitting is a prominent hunting position.
    I know quite a few people also especially shooters with disabilities I suffer really bad with kneelers that bad I have to have painkillers before a round!

7. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Best .

the Best you can expect to be in SFT is a big fish in a small pond . why not aim to be a big fish in a big pond ( FT) ??? HOLLY

8. merc350

merc350 Just wants to shoot...

Club:
    Emley FTC
    Or just do it properly and shoot HFT..:D:D:D;);););)

9. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Not

Not unless they let you sit on a nice bean bag and focus the scope ??? HOLLY:):D

10. rick

rick Member

As Pete has already said, SFT is classic FT only these days they use .177 pcp's instead of .22 springers and shoot 40mm targets out to 55yds instead of 45/50mm at 45yds. You could argue that SFT is the purest form of FT.

11. LANKY MK

LANKY MK this **** is killing me.

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    For various reason's i havnt shot as much SFT as i would normally do in the last year, pity cos i really enjoy it, definitely going to get back into...... when i get chance :D.

Mark

12. strangefroot

strangefroot Member

Thanks everyone thats showed an interest in carrying on with the sft class at the clasic .

The entries are filling nicely now ( we always seem to get a bit of a last minute rush ) ... Over 100 shooters to date with 4 of those booked into sft . Still room for a few more , if ya dare !
    All targets on the ft course will be 40 mm so plenty of room for error :D

both courses are looking very picturesque & totally different to last years .

cheers ,calps

13. aitchuk

aitchuk Member

Club:
    redfearns
    TOTALY DIFFERANT
    Does that mean the targets are UNDER a hight of 90ft :D:D

Aitch;)

14. LANKY MK

LANKY MK this **** is killing me.

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC

Only 4 booked for SFT, does that include Chris C and me?

Mark

15. DaveRobinson

DaveRobinson NEFTA Chairman

Club:
    Anston
    106 entries now so only 38 places left...The big weekend will soon be upon us:)

Mark yes 4 sft so far including you and chris...if you have anyone in mind for who shoots sft get them to fill a form in asap

16. airborn68

airborn68 Member

Club:
    Ponte & Hull & District Ft (secretary)
    I fancy it but struggling to get Friday/Saturday night of work.

Jon

17. DaveRobinson

Club:
    Anston
    Jon if you can get just the saturday off work i can arrange so that your not shooting untill mid day onwards to allow travelling on the day if it helps you

18. airborn68

airborn68 Member

Club:
    Cheers for that Dave.

I cant get either night off :mad: but I finish @ 9.00am on Saturday & Sunday,
    It would take 1 1/2 hour to get there from work but would have to leave around 4.00pm on Sat for my night shift.

So if things are a little flexible it may be do-able, I will be totally shattered but what's new :eek:

Regards Jon

19. DaveRobinson

Club:
    Anston
    Hi jon were gonna struggle with that one i suspect as if it was arranged you shot the sillies mid day and then the main course in the afternoon think it would be a struggle to be finnished at 4pm:(

20. airborn68

airborn68 Member

Club:
    Thanks anyhow

I will keep an eye on the number of entries as I just need a couple of people to return off sick then I will be able to book the time off or get someone to hang back for me on the Saturday evening.

Jon