Setting up new gun

Discussion in 'Tips, tricks and tutorials' started by Pauly5, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Pauly5

Pauly5 Member

Club:
    Kuku FT club. NZ
    I am setting up an EV2 for FT. I have a Leupold competition scope, and I got the gun second hand, it came with a 28 mm scope riser rail. I admit it feels more comfortable high, but It feels wrong having to dial the turret so much for closer shots. My mounts are adjustable, so I was thinking if I could compensate by tilting the scope down at the front, eliminating the need to dial to extremes?
    I often use chair gun for my clicks, but wondered if this would effect this due to the slight difference in angle.
    I just can't quite get my head around that, so if someone can either whack me a couple of times, explain that I am going down the wrong track, or just advice.
    I see there are lower rails available, but of course at more cost. Also, would it be wrong to have the far zero out at 45m - ish with the high mount?

Thanks in advance.

2. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard FT: You Give, You take! Staff Member

Club:
    West Devon ftc
    Don't worry about short range shots.
    They are so few and far between these days.
    Set zero around 30m

Gary Martin likes this.
  3. Dale

Dale Active Member

Given the OP is in New Zealand, have their courses evolved to have fewer short range targets?

4. Dale

Dale Active Member

The adjustable mounts are more designed to get your scope set at your 'datum' distance whilst keeping the adjustments as close to optic centre as possible.

Overall they are not going to reduce the amount of dialling required as the scope is still mounted well above the boreline, so for any close range targets you need to compensate for that height, hence the more extreme dialling.

I haven't encountered any adjustable mounts that are good enough to make a field correction, they tend to be of a design where you set them and leave them.

I have never used chairgun, so cannot comment on that.

I would say with airgun pellets being relatively low cost I have always preferred sorting my dialling settings by actually shooting at targets.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  5. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Best thing is to set the combo up and try it.

It really doesn't matter if it "feels wrong" to dial up fro close shots, that is entirely in your head, and zeroing at longer ranges really won't change anything.

The most important thing with shorter range targets is to have a routine.

I have 45 mag Competitions on two of my FT rifles, with both I have found the best compromise for 10, 11 and 12 yard targets. Whenever I shoot a close target as soon as I take the rifle from my shoulder I wind the turret back down again, this avoids the possibility that I will rotate the turret too far and get myself 'one turn up'. Course setters will try to trick you, setting a close target or two and then immediately after a long shot (won't they Simon), but if you have dialed back down by half a turn of the turret you will not make that mistake (and plenty have).

I agree with Simon regarding zero range, find the top of the trajectory of your rifle / pellets, either on chairgun or preferably on the zero range, it will most likely be around 28 to 32 yards. Once you have the zero, just work you dialings out from there. Chairgun is pretty good provided all the variables are input correctly, but like Dale said, there really isn't any substitute for range time with bits of nice clean card.

Pauly5 and garym like this.
  6. Pauly5

Pauly5 Member

Club:
    Kuku FT club. NZ
    Of course, I wouldn't adjust the mounts in the field, but was refering to initial setup. But thanks for the advice, it pretty much confirms what I thought, but there is always value in asking. NZ hasn't evolved into a short course, but yes we chuck in the odd very close reducer to catch people out.

Thanks.