Setting up help plz

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by shinything, Mar 24, 2012.

1. shinything

shinything New Member

Club:
    carisbrooke
    Hi I have just got a nikko mk1 with a sharkfin and large top turret Barry Taylor ones I think. I went to the farm today to put in all my ranges and markings and really I just wasted. The whole day I have the scope on high adjustable sports match mounts and risers. I was hopeing I could get all the range markings in with out rotating more then once, I started at 10 and went up 1 yard all the way to 20 at 20 it was back at 10 again and 25 took it past the 10 :-(

Am I missing something or going about this all wrong or what? Please help me :-(

2. Shaun

Shaun Active Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Hi,

I suggest that you establish a zero at the zenith of your set up (top of its trajectory). I'd guess this is about 30 yards.

When your zero is at zenith then all of your turret adjustment will be in one direction.

As you've got the scope very high then at close range it's likely that you'll need loads of clicks and I don't think that you'll manage on one turn.

Shaun

3. alan-aitch

alan-aitch I'll practice tomorrow...............

Club:
    Bisley
    Rob,

I suggest you centre the top turret, then using the adjustments on the mounts, get it zeroed at 30 yds. Then lock off the mounts and use the turret to get all your ranges on, start out at 55 and come in. As Shaun has said, with a high scope you may not be able to stay on one rotation of the turret, you have to decide whether you want to go more than one turn or use mil-dots/lines for the close ones. Personally I use mil-dots for anything under 17yds.

I'm not sure what "clicks" the MK1 Nikko has, but say for example it has 1/4 clicks, that means that each click moves the poa 1/4 of an inch at 100yds, that means that at 10 yds one click moves the poa one tenth of 1/4 of an inch, that's why you run out of clicks close in.

Alan.

4. UKJay

UKJay New Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    My Nikko is zeroed at 35 yards, At 55 yards it take a full turn +4.3 to be on target. Not an issue as the scope will click much further than this.

5. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    OR set your turret zero for 45yrds, you will have to dial up and down though.
    OR get a rail to lift the scope higher.

6. shinything

shinything New Member

Club:
    carisbrooke
    Thanks for the tips guys will give this a go at the club tomorrow.

7. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    use your reticle

Maybe set your zero has the lads have pointed out and when you get near one full revolution,lets say 15 yds just go down to the next milldot for all your targets under that distance.
    If needbe use the bottom milldot for all targets under 15 yds.
    Hope this helps
    simon

8. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    The issue is not running out of clicks but going a turn out and then forgetting to turn right back before taking the next shot.

It can take several shots to realise that you are a turn out so this leads to one or more misses. For this reason I use a mildot to dial to for anything under 13 yards - the worst that happens is that you dial but forget to use the mildot to aim with - but you only miss the one shot through that mistake :)

If your scope is very high then you may run out of mildots - I do on mine :( I now use the very bottom of the sight picture (where the cross hair ends) to aim with for 8 and 9 yards. It works a treat.

Dave.

9. shinything

shinything New Member

Club:
    carisbrooke
    Just gone to set the scope up and realised when I zoom in and out the ret moves rotates a little bit is this can this be fixed or is the scope junk?

10. UKJay

UKJay New Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Have to give that a go - currently forcing myself to reset the turret after every 10 yard and under shot but can see the day coming where I forget :)

11. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Saw it happen today at the Frayed Knot - a chap took a close shot then missed 2 targets before realising he was a turn out. It happens quite often ;)

12. palmanda

palmanda Member

Club:
    Broadland FT
    I have been known to do that on occasion :(

13. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    reticle movement

I have known this on a few mk1's
    It will only be when you move the mag and should still hit the mark.
    One of my club buddies as won a grade on a few occasion's with a scope that did exactly that.
    shoot with it and see if it hit's the mark.

14. shinything

shinything New Member

Club:
    carisbrooke
    i am sending it back to the guy its a shame as it was a nice scope apart from that its range finding was really good dont think i will be as lucky to find another for that price again either with all that stuff on it. im just going to buy a t50 if no one else has a diamond to sell soon.

15. UKJay

UKJay New Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Cheers for the tip Dave - that works really well :)

16. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Easy to fix ;)Remove screw from mag ring and slide Mag ring forward under the ring is a boss held by 3 grub screws tighten grubs screws and refit mag ring and screw recheck for shifting ret;)
    Don old.

17. T2Stu

T2Stu New Member

I Turn mine back to zero befor getting up to go to the next lane :)

18. palmanda

palmanda Member

Club:
    Broadland FT
    Now there's an idea :D

I am so paranoid about it now I turn it back to zero after every shot :eek:

19. DeanB

DeanB Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    That was me. Hit the near stander up the tree. Took aim on next stander - bit of wobble (well alot really) - didn;t even hit the plate. Next lane - sitter - another miss. One turn out!!!! Two shots dropped.

Dean

20. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    The one you missed in the lane after the standers was only about 40 yards as well - one of the easier targets :)

I hope you have learned from the experience ;)