setting a rifle up for br

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by hmangphilly, Dec 16, 2019.

1. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Dis Member

Hi All .
    I'm trying to help a chum set his rifle up to shoot br .

He's got a steyr and a big nikko . ( he currently likes to shoot on 10 mag )

I'm thinking we first need to achieve a consistent hold and head position , and how to spot and get rid of parralax error .

If you could give us your tips for a beginner at ground zero that would be great .

2. Hubertus

Hubertus Member

does he have rear and front rests ?
    i prefer simple sandbags instead of fancy and expensive rests
    a bubble level on the rail or scope can help to train to hold the same position everytime
    and its no problem if the holds the rifle out of level if he does it all the time
    many 10m shooters cant their rifle :)
    trigger adjustemts ? i like it light as possible with no first stage

hmangphilly likes this.
  3. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Dis Member

I forgot

He's currently shooting a semi indooor /outdoor 'the tunnel ' 25m range at Bisley if any one knows it

4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Focus the scope on 50x. That should remove all parallax if the eyepiece is set up to the eye, or most if not.

If he's dropping to 10x he can check by putting the rifle on a rest and looking through scope with moving head. The reticule should not move across the target when the head is moved (the rifle needs to be kept still hence the rest). Sometimes easier to take the cheekpiece off.

Head position can be made consistent by firstly shooting in position and setting it up on 50x. That will give him less room for error and then he can drop down to 10x when happy. To check head position get into position with eyes closed, then open. If sight picture is consistently good and repeatable then that's fine. If not adjust until it is. Might need scope/butt moving back n forth and all sorts. Takes a while.

Spirit level is critical.

Wind can't be ruled out even in semi outdoor. Depends on the margins involved.

NeilM and gdavison like this.
  5. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    For the tunnel at Bisley, don't need more than 35x as it could be a bit dark if on 50x this time of year. Keep on 35x in the summer so its the same all year. (TBH, I won springer BR at Bisley with a 24x scope)
    He should be on twin sand bags, so drop the cheek piece right down so he is not using his cheek to drop the rear end down to get on target. If not on twin sand bags, get some then you can rule out head position/rifle contact. Should be the softest contact rifle to cheek for the same datum every time.
    Sand in the front bag or similar, something that's slightly easier to squeeze in the rear bag like small yellow peas whatever they are called.
    Squeeze the rear bag to get elevation and go up/down the card rather than across. I didn't take my head away from the scope for a verticle line (nor the trigger hand from the grip, just moving the finger away from the trigger inbetween shots)

The wind affects the tunnel more than you realise ;-)

Pellet testing is key to benchrest at Bisley if its 50 shots still, plus concentration, staying "on target" for 25 mins or so without relaxing is quite tiring.

Never used a spirit level for BR, but do now for FT, so I guess if he has got one, then use it, but only if he can see it without moving his head at all (just a glance from the eye)

Enjoy!

gdavison, hmangphilly and Mlw like this.
  6. gdavison

gdavison Active Member

Club:
    Basingstoke - BARPC & Bisley - BFTC
    Also would be interested in thoughts on a reasonable scope for some club level bench rest events (nothing too serious .. but we all know we are never not too serious)

Our Club BR will be 25 yards outdoor, front rest only, rear has to be shouldered - I am kicking myself as I just sold 2 * T502's .. mrgeoff in other posts has suggested the hawke sidewinder 8-32*56 (mildot) as a reasonable fairly cheap but usable BR scope

not sure I want to go the full cost of weaver t36 etc

I could strip down my old FT rig as its a FTP900 with a Niko mk3 on it, however I want to keep it intact for some reason that I am unsure of why :D

7. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Any half way decent 8-32 mag scope will do well for BR, the most important aspect is the reticule, it is very helpful if this is as fine and uncluttered as possible, with or without a dot, it really does not matter.

I currently use a Burris 8-32 with a fine plex reticule, I also have a Leupold EFR with a Premiere reticule that has fine cross hairs, both can be turned up or down in mag and experiments have shown that with good concentration 10 mag is just as effective as 32.

gdavison likes this.
  8. tommylee

tommylee New Member

9. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    I always get excited when I see the older front AO 32x plus scopes which are now quite cheap.
    The old Fine duplex etc are near perfect for Benchrest

My first high power scope was the Hawke, and my opinion back then was they are a good starter, but now I would say last choice, only if you get one ultra cheap 2nd hand, as stated above, the old front AO stuff is cheaper, and much better glass.
    I upgraded from my hawke to an Edgar Brotheres 36x42, which at £150 was the best value for money Benchrest scope I have ever had.

gdavison likes this.
  10. tommylee

tommylee New Member

Big Nikko is better for FT as for br.
    T36 is the best solution for less money.

11. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    Or the Sightron 36x42 BRD my scope of choice and can be picked up at around £300- £350 ish s/h .

12. tommylee

tommylee New Member

I compared sightron 36 mag. to T36
    Is the same level of glasses and reticle.
    Best choice for benchrest.

13. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    The sightron had nothing over the Edgar brothers, however the EB focussed down to 10m which neither the sightron or weaver do.

Could be a factor if your club does 10m Benchrest or have half a thought about ever using it for FT.

14. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    On my .22 BR Anschutz I use a large V shaped front bag filled with kitty litter which gives good support but is lighter than sand.
    I don't use a rear bag but prefer to vary height with a gloved hand under the butt.
    Scopewise I use a weaver T36 which is very good, as an alternative the Sightron knock off of the Weaver is also worth looking at. Personally I like a fine reticle with no target dot as I find that blob distracting. Set the scope so that you have a definite black ring around the view so that you can be sure your head position is consistent.
    The biggest issue is pulse and trigger release so the least amount of body contact the better.
    Ammo is just a case of finding what works best out of your barrel and then buying a shed load of it so no different from any other rifle discipline.

15. Graham freeman

Graham freeman Active Member

16. gdavison

gdavison Active Member

Club:
  17. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Dis Member

my chum wanted to know how to lighten the trigger second stage weight .

its that long grub screw sticking down in front of the trigger blade

steyr trigger block.jpg

18. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Yes Phil

hmangphilly likes this.
  19. thebaron

thebaron Member

Club:
    Leics & District (Dowry Hill)
    No
    UKBR22 are still up and running and their winter 2019 season 25yd/25m competitions have just started

Their postal shoots are as popular as ever.

20. gdavison

gdavison Active Member

Club:
    Sorry let me re phrase ... did the web site and forum go ? as when I try and look at them I get a blank web page with two missing pictures and the forum is broken as it does not allow new registrations