Servicing my LG100

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by SDplinker, Nov 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. SDplinker

SDplinker Pellet testing...yawn

Club:
    CASA - California Airgun Shooters Association
    Just wanted to post thanks here for all the advice and tuning threads.

I have an older LG100 - serial no. 02365. Cocking arm was sticking a bit and I wanted to install an 85 bar reg I ordered from Benke-sport.

Just have to say the Steyr videos on YouTube are GREAT. How nice to have something like that - other manufacturers could take note. There were small slight differences due to this being a LG100 while the video shows the LG110 but close enough.

Cleaned it all up, polished the striker and the action feels far far better. New bolt and TP O-rings installed (thanks ChrisC). Installed the air cylinder and crossed my fingers.... no leaks. Put tissue on either side of bolt, no air blast upon firing. I had to do the cocking tension by feel since there's no real objective way to evaluate the lockup but it feels nice and firm without overly stressing the mechanism. Very positive.

Like a dolt I didn't take any pics. This gun was modded for high power by our USA Steyr guru Allen Zasadny. There may have been valve work...not sure. He did put a cool little label on the side of the action with some specs - 125BAR (I assume for the high power reg), .335 (not sure what this meant). The hammer spring may have had custom work too - on either end of it were tiny "tophats" made of what appeared to be oil-lite bronze. Very cool looking - keep the spring centered better perhaps.

I also took a crack at adjusting the stabilizer. Despite my precautions one of the little springs went zinging across the room when I took it apart but fortunately I found it. Didn't have an O-ring of appropriate size to hold the white retainer piece in place so I doubled a larger one and it worked great. Took a couple of tries but now the weight goes back just to the end of the action. When I initially took it apart and tested it went back well past the rear of the action. Inside the end cap there was a piece of foam - I assume this was by design to soften the blow of the stabilizer. Took it out and saved it as I shouldn't need it for now.

Anyway, if I go back into it again I'll take some pics of these parts. A fun way to spend an afternoon home sick from work on a rainy day!

-Casey

2. blacklab

blacklab Member

Club:
    nelson
    stabalizer

on the steyr vids what pwr setting are they working with, i am guessing it might be 7 joules and how much difference would it make on the travel of the stabalizer

3. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

I set my stab up to protrude appox 10mm from the rear of the action. not exact science but it seems to work on my 2 Steyr's. IMHO , it's more important to replace the white plastic 'brake' and brake springs once every few years. Very occasionally the 4 items in the stab (spring, catch, bearing, drift pin) can fail but i have yet to find that on my own or anyone elses Steyr's.

This xmas i have 2 weeks off work and am doing a full strip on my 2nd Steyr. also experiment with lapped and polished springs/hammer to see if this afftects the chrono consistancy at all. The rifle was good before but worth a dabble whilst it's in bits and i have the free time. I also plan to totally service the reg, set up and also replace all the stabiliser parts. I will try to take as many pics as possible and make a photo guide in the new year depending on how busy work is.:D

4. fudge-1200

fudge-1200 New Member

Club:
    Castleton, FTC
    Ever since I bought my LG100 it has not performed as it should, so a few weeks ago I contacted Harry Preston to make arrangements to send it to him, when talking to to him he noticed by my accent I was Welsh and said that he would be attending the Welsh Target Association Competition at Sophia Gardens the following week and asked if I would like to take my gun there and he would carry out a service on it, Now this took me approx a Nanno Second to think about as Sophia Gardens is about THREE MILES from where I live.

I arrived at the time we agreed on and met Harry, his wife and son and what lovely people they are

, I then had the pleasure of watching Harry and his son take my gun apart, I was mesmerised From start to Finish they spent a total of TWO HOURS working on it the Reg was reading 110 it was stripped and rebuilt until it read 85 bar every part was removed and cleaned, by this time I was getting worried with regards to how much this little lot was going to cost.

The gun was put back together and the time came to get my wallet out, how much do I owe you Harry I said quietly, Oh! call it £50 was the reply, I was gobsmacked, Sorry, how much did you say £50, is that alright he said, But you have just spent TWO HOURS working on it, That's ok by doing your gun you have saved me doing all the unpacking. I paid the man and walked away a very happy man

Sunday Morning I went to the Club looking forward to shooting my as new gun, I was visualising 10p groupings at 55yds, No such luck it was still shooting like C%^*.

I then did some reading on here regarding the POLISHING of the Hammer and Spring. took it apart and did that thinking it Can't make it worse.

Thursday arrived and I went over the Club a bit downhearted, put it on the Chrono the started to shoot :eek: what a difference those 10p groupings that I was dreaming about suddenly became reality, by doing what I did totally transformed the gun. :D

5. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

It is quite common for new items to 'bed' in before a rifle comes good after a service/new parts. Surprised to hear that the reg was at 110 bar though.

6. Martz

Martz Member

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    I don't know if it's a common thing, but mine was shooting lovely after installing the newer hammer, spring & external adjuster; all polished up.

Halfway through a rack of silhouettes it started to feel very harsh and metallic, I thought the power had shot up. The chrono told me it hadn't so I put it down to new parts finding their happy place.

Halfway through the course I checked the transfer port (not sure why I did), it had worked itself loose, so a lot of air (and cushioning) was escaping around the threads.

A tiny tweak with an Allen key, and all is back to normal :)

7. fudge-1200

fudge-1200 New Member

Club:
    Castleton, FTC
    Hi Chris.
    Yes he put it on the tester and that's what it was reading, sripped it down, did something with the washers re tested it and it was 85, I then had to keep a check on it just in case it lost pressure, which it did not.

8. Gcos

Gcos Member

Club:
    Thorn Dell ( RIP )
    Hi Chris , re this 110 bar reg its an interesting Topic. We also had a 110 bar reg fitted to one of our Steyrs , but what is more interesting is we know the history of the reg. It was fitted by Ernst Huber from the factory in Northern Ireland in 2008 . It has won a shed load of Comps. It was reset to 85 bar when it was serviced by Harry Preston some years later and won another shed load . Are there any conclusions to be drawn from this.
    Regards G.

9. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Yes, John's a bloody good shot with whatever he's using :):):)

10. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Yes, Geard, you can't buy talent ;) however, can you ensure John fits a 70bar reg with gold transfer port which should ensure we all stand a decent chance next season:D

11. Gcos

Gcos Member

Club:
    Thorn Dell ( RIP )
    Hi Connor , I didnt want to mention that, but as you have pushed me into a corner thats what he has been shooting since Euskadi.