1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious scope question

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by D Martin, Mar 7, 2010.

1. D Martin

D Martin Non member

I've heard talk about depth of field and the advantage of using a smaller objective for HFT but not been technically minded I just look through a scope to see a target and shoot:rolleyes:
    My question is could a bigger objective,higher mag scope that could be used for FT also be affective for HFT if turned down to 10mag and the parallax left set at a required setting?
    I'm wanting to have a dabble(not seriously) at FT but don't fancy having to keep changing scopes for HFT and so would be willing to compromise between the two if the set up would work.
    Over to you guys what are your thoughts ?

Dave

2. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Dave you can't range find with the scopes we use but Ryan shot the Euro's on x8 mag last year and did pretty good. to answer your question No:cool:

Or you could just admit you are past it, sit down a twiddler with your knob:p:p:p:cool:

3. luger

luger Malta's GOS!!!

Club:
    Malta Allied Airgunners Club
    I've tried it and failed miserably!

You could set the parallax but you either just see a complete blob from 7-15yrds or 35-45yrds depending on how you set it. If you want to shoot both FT and HFT you need a dedicated scope for each discipline.

4. bigwalk

bigwalk Member

The answer is ?

A Bushnell 4200 8/32x40 will range find and works well at hft . Set on x9 mag and focous at 20 yards it's works fine. The rangefinding it quite close between 50&55 yards , you can buy a custom top turret to dial in your distance. The only issue now is scope hight, as you want it lower for hft , these scopes usualy come up for sale £300 used or new they are £475.

5. fredyninefingers

fredyninefingers Non member

hi mate,i use a very cheep bsa 8-32-44 very effectively at field target...then fancied a go at that nefta stand/kneel so just dropped the mag to 10 mag and created a 25yd zero and it worked perfectly,without haveing to change rigs atb fred

6. simmmo

simmmo Member

If you look around you can sometimes get one with Mildots, as standard factory are duplex and fine x from memory. Also as its an inch tube and 40mm you can get it low.

Andy

7. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    It can be, but the bigger objective you go for, all else being equal, the depth of field will be shallower, so you may need to turn the mag down lower to achieve what you're used to in terms of the ranges that are in/out of focus.

Something like the 8-32x44's mentioned, or the burris RA version, may be a good comprimise. Personally I wouldn't worry about the scope height too much, set it how you are comfortable and go with that.

8. kzozee

kzozee New Member

I was thinking about this, but the FT scope (and somethimes the gun too) is much larger, and easily scratched when you push to the tree, and much heavy. I changed my mine, and I have two guns and two scopes for FT and HFT.

9. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Bushnel

The bushnel elite 6500 4 to 30 mag . i reckon would do both . you would need a 50 foot adapter for FT . but it also acts as a cover for the lens . it comes with mil dot ret , you would need to add a sidewheel . i have a 4200 and it is a great scope but long ??? HOLLY

10. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    If you need a 50ft hols, does that bugger you up for HFT where you can't touch the scope?

11. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Agreed.

Dave i had one of these when i first started HFT and if set to 10 mag and 25yds px(that's what i used) it was more than capable of both FT and HFT. The 30/30 ret was fine as the top of the thick post was equal to 45yds on mine (arouund a mildot).

12. D Martin

D Martin Non member

Thanks for the input guys;)
    I think I'm gonna have a look at a few of the scopes mensioned and see if any come up second hand in the near future. Having a totally dedicated rifle and scope for both is out of the question at the minute as I haven't got that kinda cash and I don't want to splash out loads anyway on something that I haven't even tried yet until I know that I enjoy it.
    So I'm on the hunt for a scope which has a smaller objective than a big FT scope yet has plenty of mag and preferably a mill dot ret.:rolleyes:
    I'll have a look at both the Bushnell and the BSA for starters then go from there.

Thanks again.

Dave

13. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    No mate . cos in HFT you are on 10 mag . not the 30 mag of FT . so you don't need one for HFT . just use the 50 foot adapter for protecting the lens ??? HOLLY PS simple . like you rob

14. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    full marks to the man with an excessively large GC2 collection:D

Dave, the only problem you might have with a compromise scope is actual scope position. I found the scope position that was perfect for HFT was too far forward for FT, as when you zoom up from low to high mag, the eye relief generally reduces, making you crane your neck forward to get a good pic.

I tried the burris RA and later model with adjustable iris, both were not right for me.

15. Jon

Jon Member

There are a few scopes that spring to mind but may be too heavy for you.
    Tasco 8-40 CU ok from 9+ to 100+ regardless of where focus is set!
    Falcon T50B FT not in production yet. Lowest mag 10 clearish at 7 yards to well over 100.
    BSA/Nikos have a shallower depth of field at lowest mag, may struggle below 10 yards.

16. D Martin

D Martin Non member

I've thought about that as well Dave.Would an eye extension piece work?Put it on for FT take it off for HFT.

Decided to give the BSA 8-32x44 with a mill dot ret a try by the way...comes highly recommended by Fred who is using one for FT as well as HFT to good effect.

Just need to source somebody that could make me a wheel up as BSA never did one.
    Dave

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2010
  17. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Optics ?

the optics on the BSA are not a patch on the 4200 . plus the busnel has rainguard lenses ??? HOLLY

18. D Martin

D Martin Non member

I take your word for it Holly and no doubt you're right mate.Trouble is I have to try and balance usability
    and cost at the minute,maybe later when I've given FT a try for a bit and decided I like it I'll get a 4200 and pass the BSA on to my son to try.I know the Bushnells are good though,I used a 3200 elite for a long time before getting the EB in HFT and loved it though I do think that the EBs have the edge.
    Pitty they don't do an 8-32x44 EB Sniper in a price range that the average working family man can afford because it would be an awsome scope:rolleyes:

Dave

19. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    OH right

Ah i see . you don't have a fortune to spend . makes a change , a lot of people on the forums seem to have ulimited money to spend . at least that's how it looks . right then that is a differnt kettle of fish . then my recomendation is the 6.5 to 20 simmons 44 MAG . the early ones mostly had a duplex ret . but the later ones had a mildot ret . made in the phillipines . but very good little scopes . i have one of each . and the mil dot one is the one i use for my forays into HFT . they are pretty good rangefinders and very bright down on ten mag for HFT . front parralax . but easy to use . plus they can be used for hunting or just plinking . origionally they were £ 250 pound scopes . now sell for about a £100 ??? HOLLY