Second hand FT rifle - Which one?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Gareth20000, May 3, 2015.

1. Gareth20000

Gareth20000 New Member

Hi,

I have been shooting in local club events with my HW100 with good results. However after recently trying another members FTP 900 I realised how the correct fit can make things so much more steady and comfortable.

I am looking to upgrade, new or second hand, but not sure what FT rifles to consider. I realise that it needs to fit well initially but from a mechanical, reliability and accuracy point of view which rifles are considered to be best?

Thanks in advance guys!

2. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Gareth,
    It would help if you indicated a budget - but assuming 2nd hand and you have say FTP money then the world is your oyster!
    AR20 - £500
    MPR - £500
    EV2 mk4 - say £700
    Protarget with a custom stock - or even in an EV stock similar money maybe even cheaper. - My choice as a starter
    steyr 100 0r 110 £800 - 1200
    TM1000 £1300
    FTP 900 1000 to 1200

Don't forget to save say £3- 500 of your budget for good glass!

Kr

3. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    I'd suggest that unless it comes on the personal recommendation of someone you know and trust, do not buy anything you have not tried.

There are FT rifles and there are FT rifles, all of them will lay pellet on pellet at 25 to 30 yards, some of them will do it further than that, but it is 45 to 55 yards you are really interested in and out there you are looking for a sub half inch group.

I appreciate that it is not always easy to try rifles out, but it really is a lottery otherwise.

Even if you are going to buy new, I would still suggest you try something similar at your club, as different weights and points of balance can be a make or break, before you've even released a shot.