Scottish airgunners grief.

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by raygun, Feb 11, 2015.

1. raygun

raygun Non member

2. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    Hmm, between £85.00 and £120.00 for a airgun license for five years. Interesting considering that the Police can't keep up with existing FAC's.

3. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    Well, they voted those people in.........................

You make your bed.........

4. Steven842

Steven842 " if yar crap yar crap "

Club:
    Alloa & district RC

Remember the poll tax ??? This will be coming to englandshire pretty soon :eek: just give it time ;)

5. rich

rich Active Member

A few years ago when the Worlds FT championships were held in Poland, the question arose, how to travel overland. We'd need to have the newly introduced EFPs, European Firearms Permits.

There were about a hundred, maybe 200 Brits who wanted to take part, and I asked if we could all have EFPs issued to make the trip through France and Germany legal.

Oh no, came the reply, we don't have the resources to issue EFPs to non FAC owners. Not even a hundred of us? Absolutely out of the question. No manpower, no resource.

And now Scotland wants every airgun owner to have something similar. On their own admission, 98% of applicants would pass the very elementary screening process, so how effective is that going be, in keeping airguns out of the hands of naughty boys?

6. raygun

raygun Non member

I don't think it's got much to do with airguns.

What it is to do with is Devolution. The original Calman report asked for devolution of all gun licencing powers to Holyrood. This was immediately refused by Westminster. The Calman Report was then altered to ask just for powers over low powered airguns. Westminster granted this because it just didn't matter.

Now Scotland has got this in the devolution package they have to do something with it, regardless. Airgunners will not do anything about it as has already been proved with the impositions already put on us without much of a bleat.
    Scotland are now in a position of doing something about a problem that never existed. They will try and dissuade as many people from applying for a licence as possible as every licence will cost them money. This will also put up a barrier for new comers into the sport and will slowly strangle it.

It will be very difficult to be an airgunner in Scotland in the future and people will find another hobby.

ATB
    Ray.

7. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    As most people will not fork out for an Airgun license for 5 years just to be able to plink in the garden, a lot of airguns will simply be handed in or hidden leaving a hard-core of a few thousand that would need scrutinising.

This makes their job considerably easier and so this is what they're relying on to make this work.

8. valboskie

valboskie Member

Club:
    NASGARC AND SCOTIA FT
    Plinking in your garden is no longer a valid reason to own an air gun under the new proposal's
    Hunting pest control target shooting at a club and being a collector are.

9. DYNO DAVE

DYNO DAVE Senior Member

Club:
    Dunfermline
    Remember we also voted to stay in the union , so if you don't have any thing constructive to say ..... Keep it shut :shot:
    Regards Dave

10. Bobby B

Bobby B New Member

Gun Law.

Nice one Wallace.:D

11. DYNO DAVE

DYNO DAVE Senior Member

Club:
    Dunfermline
    Wallace

Hope to see you Sunday bob , the murphster if finished my FTP :)

12. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    Did you get all the rubbish i.e. AT taken off?
    Had mine done a few weeks ago as it was set at 720 with 8.4's from the factory and it's like a new rifle now.

13. raygun

raygun Non member

It's interesting to see that in the linked report they are talking about a "new test" and want to budget for 500 per year. In England/Wales that would equate to 5000 tests per year.

ATB
    Ray.

14. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    Didn't realise you was into politics Paula ?

15. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    If that were the case then they'll be turning up at every shoot every weekend and chronoing everyone's guns and that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Reminds me of the arguments before the hand-gun ban that taking 50,000 legally held hand-guns out of circulation will reduce the risk to the public.
    Of course as we know criminals don't bother with FAC's and gun crime actually rose by 44% in the years after the ban so that didn't work.

16. Rutty

Rutty New Member

I recall the Community Charge; to give it its correct name; and also the myth peddled by the left wing that it was trialled in Scotland before being introduced in England. The line was that it was another indignity inflicted upon the Scots by an uncaring Westminster government. The truth is somewhat different, the revaluation cycles for property were different north and south of the border. A Scottish revaluation was due and would have been a very costly undertaking, the only way to avoid it was new legislation and thus the Community Charge was introduced in Scotland earlier than England.

Looking at the Community Charge as a replacement for rating and valuation, it was a much more easy system to levy and administer. The argument against it was that the "Man in the Mansion" paid the same as the man in the 3 bed semi. Well, I lived in the 3 bed semi with a wife and 2 kids, paying the rates out of my wage. Next door, the family of 4 all worked and paid the same as me. What's fair about that? They all used council services as well.

The left wing "property is theft" brigade latched on to a cause, promoted it with violent demonstrations and as result we are still stuck with the ridiculous tax related to an outdated system of property values. I would rather have a simple and transparent pe rcapita levy than that. But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a thoroughly rewritten left wing version of history.

What has this got to do with airgun legislation in Scotland you ask? Well everything because it is quite different. Instead of being thought up in Westminster for fiscal reasons it was dreamt up in Edinburgh for purely political reasons. It was a straightforward exercise in grabbing legislative power and then using it regardless of its fairness or effect. Although some in Scotland may try to gain some kind of illusory comfort from imagining that it is not the case, there is absolutely no appetite or interest in introducing similar legislation in England, none whatsoever.

What is interesting is the tactics now being adopted by the SNP. having lost the Indepence argument they are now makng all the right noises that could eventually annoy the English electorate sufficiently that they might eventually be shown the door anyway. One has to admire their political approach, but fear for the future of Scotland if they achieve their aims. If the predictions are correct Scotland seems set to return a myriad of left wing zealots as MPs at the next election; and I don't mean the Labour Party!. To these people, independence is really of secondary concern, it is only a vehicle for their left wing vision. If their plan reaches fruition, airgun legislation will be the least of your worries.

Rutty

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  17. daiboy

daiboy Banned

I realize its 7 years out of date after I put it on here I also tried to delete it but was unable to do so.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  18. raygun

raygun Non member

19. Cam

Cam New Member

A great post, spot on!

Cam

20. fireblade2

fireblade2 Master Yoda AA FT TEAM

Club:
    Tawd Vale AR&FTC
    Freedom of speech Dave, besides the same thing will happen here eventually, because 99% of people font have the balls to stand up and be counted.

Hows that for constructive.