Scoring system

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Conor, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Hi guys, what system do you use to award points to the various places during league/competitive shoots? What do you get for 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc.
    Thanks Conor

2. rich

rich Active Member

This is for FT, in the SWEFTA region.

Your score on the day is expressed as a percentage of the highest score achieved that day. If someone scored 40 and I scored 30 I would get 75 percent.

That 75 is recorded against my name for that round. Each successive round (and there are nine) the new percent is recorded as well. After nine rounds the top six results are added up and the person with the highest total is the league winner. Next highest is second and so on. This is done for all four grades.

To calculate the club position (not the individual) the top three scores for each club are added up at the end of the shoot. The club with the highest total at that shoot gets 18 club points, the next in line gets 16 points, third gets 14 points and so on, until the lowest club on that day gets 2 points. There are also bonus points for the club, IF they have a B grade or C grade shooter figuring in their top three scores, one point per instance.

Example; the club with the highest top 3 gets 18 points; the club with the next highest gets 16 points but if two of their three scores have been put in by B graders they get 2 bonus points bringing them up to 18. We've done this to stop the league club trophy being a runaway win for the club with the most AA shooters.

After nine rounds the club with greatest tally of points (all nine count) is the champion.

3. Conor

Club:
    Your FT system is truly excellent, top shooter gets the reward and the rest follow in behind, your score is important to the points you achieve! Great idea and well thought out.
    Basically then in your other club scoring system, it's 2 points between each position. :)
    Our current system is 1 point between each position regardless of score.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  4. rich

rich Active Member

Thanks. Been out shooting the real LSR (!) and only just seen your reply.

We modelled the team scores on a 1 point differential but it made the influence of the bonus points too great in comparison. As we were really keen to adopt the bonus point idea, as a leveller and also an encourager to the lower ranks, we had to find a way to make it work. Changing to two points per place position did the trick. The scoring scheme was presented at the AGM and there was a large majority vote in favour.

5. Conor

Club:
    So the 1pt system proved flawed and unworkable, someone could end up winning a league without having won a single shoot! :eek:

6. TonyF

TonyF SWEFTA FT Champion 2006

Club:
    Mendip, East Devon, Avon Hawks and Oaktree.
    Don't think that's quite true Rich! ;)
    .... I know that East Devon has won it the last 4 years in a row, but its all about getting at lease 3 'GOOD' (not necessary AA) shooters to ATTEND each shoot and NOT the number of AA shooters at the club. Also, I guess it's putting in the necessary practice to improve one's standard in the first place.

Just doing a quick count for the last 3 years of the top 4 clubs in SWEFTA, showed the following number of AA shooters at each club:-
    Year, 2009, 2008, 2007
    East Devon, 4 , 6 , 4
    South Dorset, 7 , 4 , 4
    South Devon, 4 , 3 , 7
    Buckley Wood, 4 , 2 , 3

Hence, in 2009 and 2007 there were two clubs with 3 more AA shooters, but they still did not beat East Devon!! :)

7. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

Club:
    EAST DEVON FTC

Quite true Tony, I must applaud the amount of work that has gone into the new system to try and knock EDFTC of the top spot. Must polish the trophy as its gathering a bit of dust......:D

8. rich

rich Active Member

OK I was a bit brief with the reasons. But look at the second post where I mention giving encouragement and that is essentially what Tony is saying, not all shooters attend all shoots. If clubs with only 1 or 2 AA class shooters feel they have no chance of figuring in the results then they will get even more likely to stay at home.

And of course we know the real reason why East Devon has won recently.......;)

9. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

Club:
    EAST DEVON FTC

10. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I feel an edit of Downfall coming on :D

It's all good. We run a 10,9,8,7,6 etc scoring in CSFTA for the team positions. The positions are calculated from targets hit +1 for A, +2 for B, +3 for C, and top score also gets +1. 3 to make up a team, best 3 scores (inc handicap bonus to win).

I think it means that the team isn't all about AA, but that shooters in other grades can get a day in the sunshine as well, and there's no pressure to perform.

If you look to the page here http://csfta.co.uk/results/ftscores0910.htm you can hit the tabs at the bottom for the team scores. CGC are languishing due to only having 2 shooters this year, when we had 3, we kicked the big boys off the top spot for the day.

That's why I think the handicap system works, it's not about who goes, it's about how many, and i'd rather see comps full to the brim than worry about who wins what... (that's so much easier to say now i have the title under my belt :D:D... hmm, where is that silver polish? :D)

11. rich

rich Active Member

Absolutely. I couldn't possibly fail to disagree less.:)

12. TonyF

TonyF SWEFTA FT Champion 2006

Club:
    Mendip, East Devon, Avon Hawks and Oaktree.
    I'm sure that people don't attend just to shoot in a Club Team!

..... most people's reason to attend a shoot would probably be something like this:-

1st The enjoyment of shooting and having a good day out.
    2nd Meet friends/other people and have a good old chat.
    3nd Try and do as well as possible in one's own class (grading system normally in place).
    4th The shooting in a "Club Team" would I feel be fairly well down the list, especially if a handicap system is in place.

(although some poeple may reverse 2nd and 3rd)

Yes, we would all agree that getting more people to our events is good for the sport, but I am totally convinced that having an handicap system for the Team event will NOT actually acheive this.

Shooting in a team is more about commitment, pride and wanting to do as well as possible for the other members of the team.

13. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    We use % based on top FT score

Personally i really dont like % & points and I only count targets hit. If I have hit 30 out of 40 targets, thats 75% ( was when i was in school.)

For me, the chap who has hit most targets on the day or over the series is the Winner.

14. TerryJ

TerryJ New Member

If I remember working out on the new system, but correct me If I am wrong ( no doubt someone will ) with the new system over the last four years East Devon would have only won the Team Trophy twice, the others being South Devon and South Dorset, was that how it worked out Rich ?.
    We still use the % attached to the individual scores, then that gives us the result for the AA, A, B, C, grades.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  15. rich

rich Active Member

South Dorset and Buckley Wood.

2006 no change to top two. SDEV and BW would have changed places 3rd and 4th

2007 EDEV won with SDOR second, new system would have reversed that and made no other changes

2008 EDEV beat Buckley Wood by one target, 869 to 868. That would have reversed to 163 points to BW and 160 to EDEV, either way a marginal result.

2009 no change to top five positions.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  16. Conor

Club:
    Anyone use the actual number of targets hit as being your score? i.e. not your %?

17. Jon

Jon Member

For grading purposes we use % of winning score on the day. Seems to tally up with most other regions.

For points purposes we score according to position finished. Ie If 10 beat you awarded 90 points and so on.
    It can do you favours as well as go the other way.