Scopes

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by heidi, Aug 24, 2014.

1. heidi

heidi AA MPR, BSA ULTRA

Club:
    Shootability Norfolk
    After being rained out yesterday and deciding that my 4x32 scope needs putting in the nearest bin as 7 out of 32 targets is terrible even though it was technically my first time I have a couple of questions regarding the larger scopes

1: What is best higher mag or higher objective ?
    2: What would the ideal size be as I shoot sitting ie 44, 50, 56
    3: Side focus or not? Most scopes I saw do have side focus

Would a scope like this be suitable? Forget the price it's a bargain bucket one so wont be suitable but gives me an idea of what functions I need to look at when buying one. The 56 bit is over kill I think but you're the experts so give me some guidance.

http://www.ronniesunshines.com/bsa-quarry-king-8-32x56.html

Heidi

2. gavin hopps

gavin hopps GP 2015 C GRADE CHAMP

Club:
    Pontefract
    Main thing whats it for HFT or FT shooting?
    If its HFT i wouldnt go over 10 mag and no side wheel.
    For FT big mag, side wheel so easy to range targets. Mainly find one you like and that works with you as one scope is great for one guy but not the next. When you have found one learn it in side and out.

3. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Presume you are still looking for FT??

In reality, the scope that most people seem to be able to use well for FT is the big Nikko, the Platinum.

It is 10-50x60.

Mag is high enough to range find well with and relatively "easy" to learn and use compared to some scopes.

There are other options, but you really do need to get to a club and try to have a look through some different FT scopes to see what suits your eyes, and also which are going to be easiest for you to actually use.

4. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    Its the Nikko Diamond, the platinum will get you the wrong one ;-) .

5. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Yep, my bad :eek:o

6. Gary Martin

Gary Martin sultans of spring

Club:
    harriers field target
    scope

Heidi, min 32x mag to achieve rangefinding. bigger mag in general better. a large objective lens will also help. sidewheel easier to use. you are trying to get a shallow depth of field. ie in/out of focus in small movement of s/wheel or front lens whichever type of focusing your scope has.
    big nikko good for reasonable price, widely used so plenty secondhand.

7. Gary Martin

Gary Martin sultans of spring

Club:
    harriers field target
    just looked at the scope you were interested in. i dont know anyone who uses that particular one. i have a BSA SWF 8-32 which i have used on a springer. the optics are pretty good, its repeatable rangefinding wise. it has a smaller ob/lens than the one your looking at. the 44mm one can be a little dark at high mag in wooded areas. the one your looking at should be better than mine due to the larger lens, better light gathering and shallower depth of field.
    depends how serious you want to get with FT . it should do a reasonable job, but if you want to get serious you will end up buying another scope down the line.