Scopes with short eye relief

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Roger Pardy, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Roger Pardy

Roger Pardy Active Member

Club:
    None
    Besides the mtc viper connect, are there any other scopes with a short eye relief?
    I seem to struggle with a lot of parralax error due to inconsistent head position so I thought this might help.

2. Simonix

Simonix Active Member

Club:
    Hereward FT
    Hawke Airmax compact range.

Half the eye relief of the standard airmax.

Very nearly as short as the viper connect.

3. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

All scopes will have some degree of parallax error. Surely it would be better to address the actual problem, head position. This way you can use any scope you want and open yourself up to all the different glass and reticles on offer

madplinker, Mel, pbrown and 3 others like this.
  4. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Grumpy old sod!

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    Hi Roger

Interested to know why you're ruling out the MTC Connect?

Regarding eye position - I once met a guy with a McDonalds straw taped to the top of his scope "for learning purposes". The straw poked a particular area of his right eyebrow, assuring a constant head position. Can't see that catching on though! :rolleyes:

See you soon.

kong and Roger Pardy like this.
  5. Mel

Mel Timber!

Agreed. I found a really useful blog about this, detailed below. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working anymore but the general idea is to cut out a piece of card the same size as the objective lens then cut an 8mm hole in EXACTLY the middle. Stick this in front of the lens (you can normally wedge it in between the lens and the outer casing) then try looking through the scope. If you see nothing then you haven't got your head in the right position. The 8mm hole is so small that you have to get your head bang in the right position and eliminate the error.

Once you've found it, get a bit of tape/velcro/ whatever is convenient that is raised up a bit and stick it to your cheek piece it so you feel it in the same place on your face every single time. If you use a pig's ear this helps enormously as you then won't need a piece of tape - just faff around to get it in right place. It's a bit of time and effort, but will pay huge dividends....

http://theairgunblog.co.uk/reducing-parallax-error/

old foggy and Cooper_dan like this.
  6. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

That's my blog ;)
    Or should I say WAS. For various reasons i just didn't have the time and motivation needed to keep it going. Maybe in the future I will revive it. I have got backups of all the articles so I could pdf them and share on here if anyone wants them
    Glad it helped though :)

MickyFinn and Mel like this.
  7. hmangphilly

hmangphilly warm ember

Ha Ha

That's awesome .
    I'd forgotten about that idea .
    I made a gadget to hold a cotton bud that just touched the tip of my nose

Roger Pardy likes this.
  8. Mel

Mel Timber!

Haha, nicely written article and simple enough for a non techy person like me to understand. :) I think that's a good idea, There's a tips and tricks forum on here isn't there so could put it up there if you're inclined...

9. RichNeo

RichNeo Member

MTC also have the new SWAT prismatic scopes, they are supershort eye relief for PCP airguns

Roger Pardy likes this.
  10. Roger Pardy

Club:
    None
    I'm not ruling it out, I had a look through one at Christchurch gc & really liked it, just curious as to what else is available.

Thanks, I'll have a look at those.

11. Roger Pardy

Club:
    None
    I like the idea & look.... not convinced on fix mag but 10x could work depending on blur at the 2 extremes of range. I generally shoot at 7 or 8 mag. If they have the rcb2 ret I could cope with that. Illuminated?
    Some people who have seen them at shows are saying quality is dubious but no different to the viper connect since mtc were taken over.
    I'd like to see one in the flesh but can't find any distributors listing them! Maybe too new!

12. Andy G

Andy G New Member

I've got the new Hawke Airmax Touch 3-12x32 (13260)
    Very pleased with it so far...

13. Roger Pardy

Club:
    None
    That's exactly what I've gone for. Really pleased with it too. It's pretty much got rid of the parallax error I was experiencing and I love the retical.

14. Andy G

Andy G New Member

How are you getting on with it? I find the turrets a bit odd looking? Sometimes the side focus knob is stiff at first.

15. Roger Pardy

Club:
    None
    Absolutely love it. The turrets are tall! They could have made those better but that's only asteticks. I don't touch the parallax much tbh, I tend to leave it on 25 for hft.
    My only complaint was that it doesn't come with mounts so had to fork out another £40ish for 30mm ones. I have a few 25s so a bit annoying.

16. frank

frank Reactive Member

Club:
    lincs hft
    Most scopes don't come with mounts!, So not a lot to be annoyed about!

17. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    & if they do they're usually rubbish! ;):p:eek:o_O:confused:

18. what barn door

what barn door Now them tin chickens are going to get it....

I can't speak for Roger but in my experience, I loved my connect at first, sadly my eyesight deteriorated and I could no longer see the reticle clearly, targets that were well placed became a guess, if the eye adjustment had wound out more then I would have stuck with it. I have half a mind to get me a hawke touch, I have looked through one and the adjustment is there for older eyes :rolleyes:

Roger Pardy and Ash Bailey like this.
  19. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Could one of you chaps put up some photos of the touch - I’ve not seen one in the flesh yet - and is it like the connect ( which I really like ) - your eyebrow touches the scope ??

ta

20. Bezzer

Bezzer Active Member

Club:
    Kingsley HFT
    Yep I touch the eyebrow with mine. Turrets do stick out but don't catch on an HFT peg or anything else as the scope is set so far back. Better pics on the Hawke website.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020 at 8:53 AM