Scope thoughts for UKAHFT?

Discussion in 'Tips, tricks and tutorials' started by libertyman777, Aug 9, 2012.

1. libertyman777

libertyman777 New Member

Me again,

I'm wondering how scope choices should be approached in the UKAHFT game.

I currently have a Bushnell 4200 6-24x40. When I shot the match last weekend, I set the scope to 6x and the AO tp 30 yards. It seemed to work okay but based on what I've read recently, it seems that I could have set the parallax a bit closer.

So my questions are:

Is there a preferred magnification and AO setting to go along with it?

Would a relatively higher magnification (say 10x or 12x) be better as it would allow for the closer targets to be out of focus to varying degrees based on distance from the objective, thus making a crude rangefinder?

Or would lower magnification scopes be more suited for this game. There are several CQB type scopes available that have very usable hold-over marks and superb glass. But they are normally limited to between 3x and 5x in power.

Any thoughts along these lines would be welcome.

Thanks,

Paul

2. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Its pretty much personal preferance I'm afraid, I use the Leupold MK4 2.5-8x36 Mr/T with an illuminated mildot ret

The majority of shooters seem to prefer 8-10x but there are a few shooters successfully shooting as little as 6x or as much as 12x

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  3. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    Larger objective lenses generally yield a shorter depth of field, meaning that the 8 & 45 yarders will be blurrier.

Likewise the higher the magnification, the blurrier targets at either end of the range will be.

Some of the top shots use the blur as a rangefinding aid. They're able to use the blur to tell the difference between say a 40 and 45yd target, or a 8 and 10yd target.

The less glass you have inside the scope, the brighter the image will be (all else being equal). So if your choice of scope is available in variable or fixed magnification, the fixed will be slightly brighter as it has one less piece of glass in there.

I personally like the fixed 10x magnification MTC Viper. It's a reasonably priced scope, and I find the SCB reticle to be really useful for HFT.

But as Scooby says, it's all down to personal choice!

Cam.

4. merc350

merc350 Just wants to shoot...

Club:
    Emley FTC
    iv'e had them all and im still pants:)

whatever you choose it all depends on set up and practice ;)