Scope Setting

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Shaqa, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Shaqa

Shaqa New Member

Hi everyone, Im just getting into the FT world and am setting up my scope. Ive recorded the distance and the number of elevation clicks I have to make so my POI is correct and this seems to be working fairly well so far. However Ive noticed that that with the scope zeroed at 30yds that there is a group of distances from 25 to 34 that the scope is also at zero. Before and after that, the number of clicks increases exponentially the further the distance goes from the zero. What i need to know, if you can help ,is what are the distances you guys record on your pieces of paper that you uses duing FT?

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    That's normal :)

Personally, I use the following.

8, 9, 10, 12.5, 15, 17.5, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 42.5, 45, 47.5, 50, 52.5, 55

I consider the 8-10's critical, as there is a big jump in clicks between these, and 50-55 also, because it means i'm not guessing where 52.5 is... the other ranges in between the 5 yard intervals are there because it's easier for me to look up the clicks than work out what is halfway between 40 and 45 in my head.

I tend to use a newspaper to get a really firm focus on small type. It's easy to get vague ranges if you use an object that lacks detail.

I spend a lot of time making sure the 40+ ranges are repeatable, and then for double test i'll go and shoot a round at the club, as I can never remember the ranges of the targets there.

3. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

4. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

I have found that with my FT set up with the scope optically zeroed using adjustable mounts at 45yds, that the highest point on the turret is between 25-30yds. In fact the number of clicks on the turret between 20 and 25 is 2 and the same as 25 to 30. 2 clicks may not sound much but the scope has 1/8 clicks being the old style custom shop.

I have my turret so it stops 5 clicks after the mark for 25yds, this means that if I think I have done the silly thing of a turn out all I have to do is return the turret to the bottoming point and off I go again.

5. Shaqa

Shaqa New Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Thats the sort of info I was hoping for. I think I may have to increase the number distances in the 10-25 and 35-55yds ranges and maybe just be aware that in the 25-34 yds range the setting is at zero.

6. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Thanks for that Rob, I'm going to have a go at FT proper at some point this year so that's saved me learning the hard way for a bit!:D

Ryan