Scope ref/zero for FT?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by cb2591, Sep 24, 2011.

1. cb2591

cb2591 Member

Tried FT half heartedly some time ago. Gonna have another bash,try to do it properly this time.Been reading the BFTA manual, very interesting. The manual suggests setting the zero at the zenith of the tragectory.Therefore all elevation adjustments should be anti-clockwise/up. The last time i set up the scope i zeroed at 55yds,so that all adjustments were clockwise/down.If i have got this wrong it wont surprise me lol. If you were to use a bottoming out turret the former is used,makes sense. Which method is better and why?

2. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    When

When i started at lea valley , everybody used colours to range with . no zeo distance . you just matched the colour on the sidewheel with the colour on the turret and shot ??? HOLLY:)

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    If your scope is set high, or even normal, then there's a good chance your 8 & 10 yds will be even lower than 55 yds...

But I dont think it matters, I just try and get as much of the ranges on one turn of the turret...

4. cb2591

cb2591 Member

The MOA,1/8 or 1/4 must make a difference. My old T35 was 1/4, my new scope is 1/8. Would that dictate which method to be more suitable?

5. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    I dont think using 1/8th or 1/4 clicks would make any difference. I zero at 35yds (big Nikko) so I dial both ways but to keep everything in one turn I only dial down to 11yds, below that I use mil dots. It works for me and now I don't end up miss-dialing by being one turn out. Do what ever suits you as there is enough to think about in the heat of competition without adding more!

6. cb2591

cb2591 Member

I think the penny has dropped. Its down to me and what i prefer,or works for me. Thanks gents.:)