Scope Rail and BKL monuts

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Maxiboy, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Maxiboy

Maxiboy New Member

Scope rails.. is it just a comfort thing.. how do you know if you need them..

BKL mounts.. better than sports match on a standard scope rails dovetail..

or only if you use a raised scope rail with wider dovetail..

2. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    It depends on what set up your looking for.

You have a Ft rig in ev2 and big nikko

As such i would say go for double strap bkl and bkl riser blocks. you will need some clearence between the barrel and scope, probably looking for aroundf 60mm centre of barrel to centre of scope. think mine is 64?
    You can as i did always sell on the riser blocks and go for a Knobman(Johna) rail which and most importantly, looks great, as well as doing a good job.

that should give you a fairly good strting point to set up you rig for most Ft courses as a new shooter.
    Indeed, we were setting up a ev2 + big nikko rig at tondu yesterday.

If you only ever do Wafta Ft shoots you will find generall ranges are a bit shorter than Go shooting so it will suit.
    Some gp shooters as can bee seen from photos have lifted their scopes further to flatten out the longer shots that prevail in Gp events. but you then run the risk of going a turn out more often until use to the set up, not in my opionion the way to start your Ft shooting.

3. Maxiboy

Maxiboy New Member

Thanks Again Simon..

4. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    BKL mounts are very good if you swap a scope between rifles i.e. the centering is pretty much spot on as long as you take care when tightening the mounts to the dovetail (there are others who do the same centering idea). So great if you clamp the rifle and want to try different scopes and do a quick pre-zero alignment before firing a shot and decide to put the original scope back hahaha. They come in limited heights though so you may need risers.

Scope rails typically come with a small but essential slope which helps keep the scope optically centered i.e. you keep the turrets near the middle of the range. You may still need an elevation adjustable mount (e.g. Sportsmatch) but this depends on where you want your "zero" as Simon said. There are also elevation adjustable rails.

BKLs have always been great in my experience but equally I have had Sportsmatch mounts give me an offset (i.e. switch a pair front to back or mount one bolts to the left or right and have the scope show big "windage" changes). Experiment and eventually you will have a combination which is stable and of course - no zero shift after use or travel - don't over-tighten bolts but you don't want them to loosen either :)

You can spend hours (days) fiddling to your heart's content with this e.g. slacken something just enough so you can slide the scope/mount/rail back and forward - it should remain on the same vertical line and rise and fall if you have a slope assuming the rifle is level, mounts level, not too much loose, etc. If you rotate a scope inside the mounts some have the image rotate exactly around the cross-hair, some have a rotation some place else - I never worry about that one as it makes my brain hurt pondering what it might mean :)

Have fun
    Neil

5. Maxiboy

Maxiboy New Member

Thanks Neil

@ 50m yesterday scope centered optically it was 40mm right and 65mm low without adjustments being made.

so i guess a slight slope and swapping mounts around trying bolts on other side might improve things.

will have another play later today once i finish work..

6. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    That doesn't look that far out (within a turn?). Maybe check "optical centre" looking at the shadow around the reticle image (change mags) - sometimes it is slightly fuzzy on one part of the circle and changing the turrets can make it sharper all the way around which may be a better def for centered . Dialing the distances is always a slight compromise but I have looked through someone else's scope at low mag and you can barely see anything (other than shadow) as it was right to the end of a turret travel - now that was off-centre :)

Neil