Scope mounts with built in "droop"?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Cooperman, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Cooperman

Cooperman New Member

Is there such a thing as a 1 piece mount, in both 25 & 30 mm, that already have the elevation droop machined into them, therefore eliminating the need to shim the rear mount.

Been doing a google search for a few hours and not really come up with much other than the angle should be about 30 minutes to give an airgun with 800fps any chance of hitting an optically centred scope mounted with med. mounts.

I've seen the adjustable type form Sportsmatch but wondered why no one machines an airgun specific mount?

2. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

As far as I know you can still buy Sportsmatch droop compensation 1 piece mounts, you can also cut the middle out to produce two piece mounts but you really need to keep the gap between them the same as original

3. Cooperman

Cooperman New Member

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  4. tres vintes

tres vintes New Member

5. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Probably because it's easier to accommodate several markets rather than just 1.

Steyr do a rail with built in droop, as do some of the custom rail builders, my steyr rail probably has a little too much droop in it for the rig I use.

B-square do a 1 piece and 2 piece mounts that can be adjusted for windage and elevation.

Sportsmatch also various mounts that are adjustable http://www.sportsmatch-uk.com/specification.html

AOP55 1 piece 25mm adjustable for windage and elevation
    ATP65 2 piece 25mm adjustable for windage and elevation
    ATP61 2 piece 30mm adjustable for elevation (i've got a set of these on at the moment, simple to setup... much faster and more simple than even the b-square 2 piece)
    ATP66 2 piece 30mm adjustable for windage and elevation

6. Cooperman

Cooperman New Member

The Steyr rail with built in droop, that's what got me thinking in the first place.

Seems a great solution to the problem of shimming, and although readily available for 25mm scopes (Sportsmatch), it seems a little harder to find some in 30mm. Strange how they would make them in one size at not the other.

How reliable are these adjustable mounts, especially on a springer?

7. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    i run them on all my guns, including the springers... seem fine to me...

8. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    I have two of the AOP55 1 piece mounts on springers. One is mounting a Bushnell 4200 8-32x40 on my 97K and the other a Bushell 6-24x40 on my 77K. These scopes don't have a large adjustment range so something like this is necessary.

A little fiddly to set up but once adjusted and locked up they won't shift. If they did the same mount in 30mm I wouldn't use another 1 piece mount.

To my mind all airgun mounts should either be adjustable or have a built in droop.