Scope height for benchrest.

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by paul.w, Apr 10, 2018.

1. paul.w

paul.w Member

Club:
    Mad, lea Valley
    Iv just started shooting benchrest at a club near me and was wondering, Is there a preferred scope hight in benchrest. Ft is normally high, hft well think most like as close to barrel as possible. I run medium to high mounts on my hft rig which is about 1.85 inches from center of barrel.

2. Gunnery

Gunnery Member

Club:
    bolton
    i would think for bench rest the closer you can to the barrel has you do with a centre fire rifle when shooting bench rest

DazF likes this.
  3. castle

castle Active Member

my preference is as close to the barrel as possible on sub 12ft/lbs at 25m. At that range you will probably need some moa adjustment on the mounts/rail if you want to keep the scope optically centred otherwise you will be working on the limits of the scope adjustment. Higher the mount the more adjustment needed. Hope that helps.

viscount and paul.w like this.
  4. Sundance

Sundance Bush Cavity

In terms of potential accuracy I don't think it matters how high the scope is from the barrel. Cant will cause a miss at whatever height. I think the best scope height is the height that keeps your neck straight and ensures a comfortable shooting position. You want to have unimpeded blood flow to your head as you can manage in my opinion. It's going to be a combination of the table, seat, rifle and your body. Natural and unstressed alignment is the goal......

RobF and paul.w like this.
  5. paul.w

paul.w Member

Club:
    Mad, lea Valley
    Sorry should of also mentioned, I'm shooting 25m indoors. Sub 12 fp. Alot harder that than I thought it would be. Initially at first I had really good scores but can't get that 250. Been playing with some cheap scopes 8-32x44. Had some good results. Bit reluctant to spend anymore on a scope as not sure what to get.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  6. Sundance

Sundance Bush Cavity

Personally I think you should get the best glass you can afford. If you like the sport and feel you might carry on with it the investment will be well worth it. If you decide it's not for you then it's very easy to sell on a good quality scope. This question has come up a number of times regarding what scopes are good for bench rest. Check out the search facility on here and other forums...most people recommend scopes such as Leopold BR 36, Weaver T36, Sightron 36, all designed for the job. I've also used a big nikko, sightron X50 and a vortex golden eagle at higher mags with good results.

... you should look for a small dot reticle. Perhaps look out for second hand ones they come up regularly for a few hundred pounds. Hope you have some fun ..!!

paul.w likes this.
  7. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    I just "upgraded" a Optimate 36x which cost £150 to a Sightron 36x for £300 and while the glass is ever so slightly clearer on the sightron, I don't think it matters at 36 mag at 25 yds, you can see a flea on the paper regardless. The Signtron is no where near twice the scope, maybe 5%, if that.

I did have a cheap 8-32, but that wasn't so good, it got a bit blurred past 26x, which was OK for plinking, but a strain for benchrest.

Never bothered about scope height, its dialled in, and left alone. I did use some film under the rear of the scope on by springer benchrest to bring it more into line with optical center, as suggested above.

paul.w likes this.
  8. castle

castle Active Member

If this helps on my br rifle:
    scope reticle centred for 25yd benchrest. Details are;
    centre scope to centre barrel 49mm,
    jsb exact 8.44,
    880fps or 11.4ft/lbs,
    target 25yds,
    scope to target 25.3yds.
    The pellet drop in relation to the barrel at 25yds is about 1.6 inches if the barrel is level, but of course if the scope is level as well then the scope centre is an additional 1.93 inches above barrel giving a total of 3.53 inches to make up giving me an answer of about 14moa for moa adjustment. I actually used 20 moa on the rail adjustment to allow me to use heavier pellets if i want.

9. paul.w

paul.w Member

Club:
    Mad, lea Valley
    Thanks sundance I am having fun. Really enjoying the new challenge, as iv always shot hft and a little ft. Iv been putting together a rifle and making changes to it every time I go. Which is every Thursday. As I'm not a member yet and still got 8 more visits before I can become a full member and compete in competition under club name. I'm just playing with things at the moment. Still not sure about the rifle, it's a bit of a Frankenstein. Now optically centering the scope ,iv always done this with every new or second hand scope and always aloud for a max of say 4-8 click for zeroing before I would use ajusterable mounts .but are we saying centre the scope then only use ajusterable mounts to fine tune zero???? Scope mentioned above I have look at these and have look through most of them. But I do like an odd ball something not currently used. Thanks for all your comments all appreciated.

10. robt

robt Member

Club:
    BFTO. Camberley Rifle & Pistol Club
    Hi Paul,
    I also shoot bench rest indoor with an Air Arms FTP900, it's not as easy as people think is it!! Particularly as comps are generally won not on the actual score but more likely how many 10x's you score.
    I use a Weaver T36, the benefit to me is the sight picture, your head position is either right or the pic goes black, very little leeway. Also the turrets are very accurate in their operation should you need to adjust during a shoot, my old big Nikko was a great scope but the turrets needed a bit of a tap after adjusting to get them to settle, when you're looking at 2mm shift at the target that's critical. I understand the Sightron also uses a similar system to the Weaver in it's turret operation.
    Have fun, Rob