Scope height for benchrest

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by Niloc, May 29, 2015.

1. Niloc

Niloc Member

Club:
    BFTO Bisley
    I was just sitting musing about sights and benchrest shooting and wondering what is the best scope height to use. I tend to use mounts as low as possible and a high mag and get reasonable results (we all have a bad day don't we?)

Anyway, I was just looking at some of the truly OT benchrest rigs used by, particularly, the Americans and their scopes are well away from the gun itself. This got me theorising about whether the use of a riser rail to lift the scope up higher has any advantages or disadvantages. I am particularly looking at airgun shooting and not .22 lr but I suspect that the question is still valid for them.

As is usual regarding my internal debates I cannot make my mind up so what does anyone else think?

2. rich

rich Active Member

As you are shooting at a fixed known distance I can't see that there is anything to be gained in terms of the pellet flight, by having high mounts.

The only area I can think of is, you need to have minimal contact between you and the rifle, and maybe high mounts allows you to keep your head off the cheekpiece, perverse I know, contra to most disciplines, but that's how some of the Americans shoot BR, with just their finger tip releasing the trigger.

My BR rig is a AR20 and a T35 Falcon on top. I use the same rig for FT. It has a DG Designs hard rubber eye piece which is ideal for FT, but for BR I have to remember not to touch the eye piece as any contact transmits a tiny pulse. 35 mag lets you see the scope image doing little bumps 72 times a minute..........:eek:

3. Tone

Tone Active Member

Club:
    Bristol Aero & Quarry Hunters
    Rich, you have to learn to shoot between the heartbeats :lev

4. Tone

Tone Active Member

Club:
    As Rich has said high mounts help with your posture when shooting from a bench so I would go for that. As for a rail having the scope too far away from the barrel can lead to canting errors.

5. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

I was just trying to get my head around any difference in canting errors with high or low mounted scopes and cant see a reason why one would be better or worse. With the gun zero'd at your target distance cant will be the same for both. away from the zero it would be a different matter.

6. Niloc

Niloc Member

Club:
    BFTO Bisley
    That was sort of where I had got to in my thoughts, so I guess, as Rich pointed out, that it is really down to the point of greatest comfort i.e. best vision and least pressure on the cheek piece.

I think I will have a go at lowering the cheek piece away first and then have a go with higher mounts later.

Hold that last thought, I have some Anschutz riser blocks on the dioptre sights so no need to try new mounts yet. :)

7. Tone

Tone Active Member

Club:
    when I posted about can't errors I thought 'someone is going to pop up and challenge that' and guess what Simon!

I can't defend the position and it might be a urban myth but read this and the associated links and report back please, is it correct?

http://www.accurateshooter.com/optics/canting-effect-on-point-of-impact/

Cheers

Tony

8. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I think Maestro did an article on here about just that... that high or low mounts with a zero'd scope did not make a difference to cant.

9. maestro

maestro European Champion 2018

Club:
    East Devon
  10. azuaro

azuaro Senior Member

Niloc:

Rich is correct, that is how we shoot BR in the US...No Rocket Science here:
    As long as the rings are high enough for your scope's objective to clear the barrel and as long as the reticle has reasonable lee way adjustment for elevation at the BR distance you will be shooting, the height will be wherever you feel more comfortable shooting...Crooked and uncomfortable positions go along with inconsistencies.

Regards,

AZUARO

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015