Scope for NSRA 20 yard BR

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by Paul_T, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Paul_T

Paul_T Active Member

Hello All.

Newbi here (New to the forum not benchrest).
    I'm trying to decide on a new/better bench rest scope.
    I shoot 20 yard NSRA style benchrest in the Cumbria and Northumbria league, which uses the 10 target 20 yard prone card. I'm currently using a basic Hawke Vantage 6-24x50 but I think it's time to splash out on some better glass.

So I guess my question is, what is every one else using?
    The sightron 36x42 seems popular with US BR shooters, but I'm not sure if this is over kill for 20 yard. And if the reticle going to be too fine on the black target...

Any help would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Paul

2. Tone

Tone Active Member

Club:
    Bristol Aero & Nomads
    Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

The sightron, leupold competition and my preference, the Weaver T36 are all great benchrest scopes and come down to 20yrds.

You wont find the cross hair reticle too fine, but a 20x scope with fine duplex will also do the job if you are worried about overkill.

DazF likes this.
  3. Paul_T

Paul_T Active Member

Hello and Thanks for the reply Tone.

I was a bit worried that with 36x I'd see my wobbly more (we don't use a rear bag).

Do you shoot in the CNTSA BR league?

NSRA style bench rest seems to be a bit different to the rest of the world... I was hoping that I would find some other NSRA style shooters on this forum.

I had seen the SWFA SS 20x42 at optics warehouse and had considered that. But it's only £80 less than the Sightron. I might give them a call.

Cheers
    Paul

4. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Speak to John at Optics Warehouse (custompaint on here).

5. Paul_T

Paul_T Active Member

NeilM

Thanks for the reply. Ill give him a shout.

6. Tone

Tone Active Member

Club:
    Bristol Aero & Nomads
    Hi Paul

I prefer to shoot benchrest with the front rest only as per the NSRA rules aswell, I dont shoot any NSRA leagues but have made it the the Eley final at Bisley quite a few times, best ever place was 2nd in A class, 400 ex 400, just lost out on two X's.

I have been the only Air rifle competitor in a few of those finals, the rest being .22 rimfire. You have to shoot off a block, covered with a piece of leather, not a sand bag.

I had to sell my prize of 1000 rounds of .22 to a fellow a competitor :rolleyes:, I would recommend any air rifle competitor to enter the yearly Eley postal comp as they allow Air against rimfire in both LSR and Benchrest, and are not too snobby if an air rifle gets to the finals.

I would be interested in your CNTSA BR league, can you post some details on here?

Dont forget about getting involved in the UKBR22 aswell though as they are very passionate about Benchrest.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  7. Paul_T

Paul_T Active Member

Hello Tone

The Cumbria and Northumbria Target Shooting Association (CNTSA) run a number of NSRA type postal competitions.

This is a link to their website Cumbria & Northumbria Target Shooting Association

Our club (Colne Target Shooting Club) shoots a number of disciplines 10m air pistol, benchrest, prone and LSR. But they also run a few more.

They allow .177 and .22 air rifle to compete against .22LR. (.177 is gauged as .22 for BR)

I only shoot BR in this league myself. As I also shoot "precision" in the Pheonix Postal competitions, all be it not very precisely with my .22 TX200.

Paul

8. Ratinator

Ratinator member of the 39 club , twice

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    There’s a Bsa platinum in sales with a fine target dot ret that would be ideal for bench rest.
    Being sold by D. Clark if you want to pm him £225 bargain

9. Paul_T

Paul_T Active Member

Thanks Ratinator

I've never heard of the bsa platinum but I'll have a look, sounds like what I need. Are they any good?

Cheers
    Paul

10. Ratinator

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    They are old now but you could choose between 10-50 mag to shoot on and at that price get your money back if it’s not for you.
    Ideal Ft start scope , ret is limited for Ft which is why I’d say it would be useful for BR

11. Tone

Tone Active Member

Club:
    Bristol Aero & Nomads
    Good shout Simon but the only down side may be weight as some bench rest comps/class have a weight limit, and of course the fixed mag scopes are that much lighter.

12. Ratinator

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    It’s sold now in anyway.

13. Paul_T

Paul_T Active Member

Thanks Chaps
    I'm not aware of a weight limit for our league but i'd better check...
    From memory my BR gun weighs about 3.5kg.
    I've just been reading up on the BSA platinum. Am I right in saying it's actually a re branded big nikko?

If so are they optically the same? One of the lads at our club has a cheap BSA 3-9 on his 10/22 but it's a bit crap TBH. But he shoots really we with it. Much better than me.

Cheers
    Paul

14. Paul_T

Paul_T Active Member

Ahh well snooze you lose...
    Cheers anyway.

15. Paul_T

Paul_T Active Member

If any one is interested the NSRA rules for bench rest don't seem to mention rifle weight.
    They only say that if you are using a LSR type rifle you don't need to comply with the 4.5kg limit.
    It makes sense as a few of our members use Anschutz 54 prone rifles for BR and they weigh a tone.

16. Ratinator

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    The brass platinum is basically the first big Nikko then mk1 /2/3 and so on.
    Pretty sure one was used to good effect by a 2x world champion, the dot ret is the only thing that lets it down.
    If weight is not a problem then I would have thought it a good option for BR

17. Paul_T

Paul_T Active Member

Thanks for that Ratinator.

I'll have to keep an eye out. I'm not in a huge rush at the moment. I've still got a few rounds to shoot for the summer league then it's usually a couple of months before the winter league starts.

I've got to say this forum seem a lot more friendly than some of the air gun forums.

Thanks chaps

18. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    Sightron 36x42 is the perfect value scope for 20/25m benchrest. Especially at 2nd hand value.

Sure it seems quite high mag, so why would you not want to see every movement and every heartbeat so you can learn to control your breathing and shoot off-beat or whatever?

The only reason I sold my sightron was to get a 35x scope that goes down to 10m for 10m benchrest!

Enjoy.

19. Paul_T

Paul_T Active Member

Thanks mrgeoff

You haven't made my decision any easier:), I had almost convinced myself I only need 20x... Now I'm not so sure:confused:

I spoke to Adrian at optics warehouse today about a weaver T36, he was a bit concerned that the cross hair might be a bit thin against the target we use, so I was thinking about an swfa 20x42 or a hawke tac 30 6.5-20x42.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Paul

20. Tone

Tone Active Member

Club:
    Bristol Aero & Nomads
    Paul, the T36 cross hair is fine but not too fine and is very much fit for purpose.

As i said earlier that is my choice, even over the Leupold competition which i have also owned in the past.