Scope for Hw101

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by themack, Sep 18, 2016.

1. themack

themack New Member

HW101 scope/ mounts
    Hi
    I am looking into a new scope for benchrest shooting with my 101. Now I am quite keen on the new Viper pro high mag scope. I am now researching a) is the scope any good? b) should I put on a dovetail to weaver adapter, since a lot of people seem to do that? and c) if not what rings/mounts should I use?
    I am also trying to find out how to fit the rifle properly to my body, but get conflicting answers in the club. I would like that sorted before the new scope since scope height makes a difference.
    Sorry for all these questions at once, but I am new to all this... :confused:

2. chloe

chloe Member

Club:
    castle
    Scope

Viper pro , best to try and look through one make sure ret suits you also check for whiteout . A lot start with the Falcon T35 or a Weaver .
    Perhaps pm thebaron on here for more info.
    Cheers Alan

3. themack

themack New Member

Thank you! I also was told the Hawke Airmax 30 SF 8-32×50 AMX IR seems a good beginners scope and better than the MTC viper pro. So much choice, a jungle for beginners. I will have a look at both .How do I know that my rifle fits to me properly? I am using the butt which is already on the Weihrauch, but seen adjustable ones. I feel comfortable shooting and shoot reasonable, but want to improve obviously . Any advice will be scooped up gratefully

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  4. thebaron

thebaron Member

Club:
    Leics & District (Dowry Hill)
    scope for BR

As Alan says a Weaver T36 is a good choice

A fixed mag makes sense as better optics per pound spent

The other thing you must have for BR is a fine reticle with or without centre dot

Falcon do a fixed 35x with fine reticle that is cheaper than the Weaver but its extra weight may take your rifle/scope combination above the LV limit in UKBR22 competitions

Next thing to consider is that the scope is better with 1/8 MOA clicks.The Weaver is 1/8MOA.
    Falcon do both 1/8MOA and 1/4MOA

Sightron also do a couple of fixed mag 36x scopes. One a bit cheaper than the Weaver and the Big Sky model which is a similar price to the Weaver.

John

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  5. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    I use the Sightron SII 36x42 BRD very good glass and build quality

6. themack

themack New Member

Thanks guys for all your answers. Will have a look at all of them. Might take some time, but I don't want to make a costly mistake. Sundance has mailed me some good advice too, so I work my way slowly through the jungle of scopes..
    Thanks again
    Regards Sandra