Scope for HFT

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by kj68, Jul 29, 2015.

1. kj68

kj68 Non member

Hi im wanting to buy a scope for HFT can anyone advise me plesse. Has to be mil dot ret.:)

2. dnic

dnic Share the Love

Club:
    Misfits, Australia OMT
    Hi, What is your budget?, new or used, lets us know and I'm sure we can give you some guidance.

David

3. kj68

kj68 Non member

Hft scope

Hi David i have about £200 to spend but it needs to be purely for HFT:) forgot to mention its for a break barrel springer and the scope can either be good quality second hand or brand new.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
  4. skires

skires Well-Known Member

The fact that you have said it's specifically for HFT makes me presume there is a HFT club near enough for you to attend regularly?

It's the same boring advice I'm afraid ...

... go to your local HFT club/shoot and tell them you are just starting and want advice on what scope to buy. There will be several guys all willing to let you look through their scopes.

See which one suits you.

It's trendy, and practical, for people to use small objective scopes now in HFT so that you get more targets in focus ( better depth of field ).

Have a look at the Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9x32 AO scope with Mil Dot ret. Quality glass made in Japan. Smallish objective for good depth. Adjustable AO ( you can't touch that on a HFT course but it's useful for finding your PA setting and also for practising with targets in focus ). Springer rated. Around your budget. Mil dot ret ( not half dot but mil dot will be fine ). Under 12 inches long so shouldn't be a problem for either a break barrel or underlever springer. A decent bit of glass so you won't be needing to upgrade in the near future and you will sell it for decent money if you move on.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  5. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    +1 for the clearidge! :D. (I've got THREE) ;)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  6. kj68

kj68 Non member

scope hft

Thanks guys much appreciated :)

7. AlexEV2

AlexEV2 Member

I have used the EB Sniper 10x42 for around 5 years, quality robust scope with mil dot ret, target styke turrets and side parallax, it also comes with a sunshade option. you can pick up a nice second hand one for about £180- £200.

HTH
    Alex

8. madplinker

madplinker Member

Clearidge scope mildot ret very good for money also EB sniper mildot ret and also the MTC viper fixed 10 mag scope with xmas tree ret secondhand and hawke tac 30 fixed 10 mag half mildot scope secondhand all good scopes for HFT and all of them Springer rated. Try before you buy get to your local club and see what suits you the best. :):):):):):):)

9. Woodchucker

Woodchucker New Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    As a newbie into HFT I just went with what was most common around the club and the MTC Viper 10x44 was a pretty easy choice, you can pick second hand ones up for £100 which isn't too bad and its pretty nice glass for the money.

10. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Any of the above scopes will do the job nicely.I couldn't get a super clear image with my eyes with the two Clearidges I looked through, but everyones eyes are different, hence you need to look through them.

The best scope mentioned above though in your budget has to be a second hand EB sniper for quality glass.

11. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D
    as above really , the only thing I would say is decide whether or not you want to use blur for range finding , if you don't you will narrow down your choices , personally I prefer clear depth of field rather than blur.
    Too easy to be caught out by light conditions if your range finding by blur, plus you wont have much of a clue where your pellet lands at 40 yds plus if you've parallaxed at 25 as most people do
    I would rather see how much wind the longer shots take and just use other range finding techniques

We have a few good shooters using the rhino , well cheap and good depth of field , quite clear , mildot ret , have a look , never gonna beat that one on price