Scope enhancers

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by RobF, May 19, 2009.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    There's 4 contenders, 1 isn't made anymore. They all have a catch, but generally if you like an enhancer, one will be favoured. These are my opinions on them.

'Pigs ear' Soft, well fitting and accommodating, but can be a little floppy, no longer made.

'DG scope enhancer' A harder version of the pig's ear, but it's stiffness can be problematic across the 3 positions used in FT, because it can sometime be hard to accommodate the different head positions with it.

'Bisley scope enhancer' Accommodates a wide range of head positions, but it's fit isn't perfect. There's light leak on the outside edge, and the inside edge can touch the nose.

'Concertina type' Soft, accomodates a lot of positions without being floppy... not something to rely on for correct head position, because it moves up and down a lot.

I use the Bisley ones. If you find the enhancers are too loose on the scope, then you can use a cable tie or two to tighten it down.

Use something like washing up liquid to ease them on and a soak in hot water, or a pass with a hair dryer helps soften them.

2. Shaqa

Shaqa New Member

Thanks for the review Rob. I bought a DG and its better than the concertina one that i had previously. I never thought to use soapy water to help getting it on though...thanks for the tip.

3. Feral

Feral New Member

I went from the Bisley one to the DG, much prefer it.... I boiled a kettle of water, filled a cup and stood the DG in it to warm up, dried it and slipped it on my EB.

4. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    I'm using a Bisley one, not tried any others yet. I find it very good for head position, and don't get the light leakage on the outside. To get a comfortable fit I have cut out a semicircular "nose nick" and with this I find it very comfortable.

I want to try the concertina type on my 97K/Bushnell 8-32. Because I'm used to using the Bisley I find it difficult to rangefind in certain lighting conditions without one, but because it's a springer I obviously don't want something in contact with my face :eek:

There is another type I've seen a chap at my club use, which I've never seen elsewhere. It's called an 'i-Cuff' and seems to be made of that tough woven nylon fabric, attached with velcro straps. I just googled it and it seems to be made for video work. http://www.i-cuff.com (Please note this is not a recommendation as I've never used one)

5. RobF

Club:
    Yep, I looked at the I-cuffs about 2-3 years ago. Unfortunately they didn't suit the long eye relief of my scopes... they'd need adapting. And as I couldn't, I didn't use them.

6. ikarma70

ikarma70 New Member

i have the pigs ear,I got it by giving the previous owner some molykote grease in a swap for it, I like the suppleness of it just a shame they are no longer made.
    seen the bisley things fall to bits.
    seen 1 of the D&G's..i reckon its too stiff to be comfortable but thatss just my initial thought.

7. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

I stuck with a concertina type.

Cut out the end to enlarge the ocular aperture, all the way to the outer edge. This helps with getting a good view/eye alignment.

I sewed up a piece of neoprene from an old discarded wetsuit, and formed a cuff around the eyebell of the scope and extended it past ny eye/cheek so it excludes light.

Its soft and pliable, allows any head position/shooting position, and keeps out chinks of light. Could be prettier, but it does the job and doesn't fog up with humidity/sweat etc on a cold day.

Was cheap as chips too.

GS

8. McMurphy

McMurphy New Member

Ive got one on my Raider, not a hundred percent which type it is but I think its the pigs luggit version, its not perfect if you have to wear glasses like meself but it is an improvement all the same, I like it and will continue to use it.:)

9. countorik

countorik BFTA C Grade Champion 2010

Club:
    Tondu
    pigs ear

I would like to try the pigs ear type, but have not been able to find one, anyone know where I can get one.

10. RobF

Club:
    They're quite rare... but they do turn up now and then :)

11. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    It would go with your................:p

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  12. McMurphy

McMurphy New Member

How about a few pictures of each type???

13. RobF

Club:
    Yep, i'll try and sort that... i need to get a new one for the march anyway :)

14. ikarma70

ikarma70 New Member

piccy of my pigs ear on the t35 thread.

15. McMurphy

McMurphy New Member

Looks similer to my version but not quite.

16. George Rounce 1

George Rounce 1 Hello!!!!

How much are the bisley ones ???

17. McMurphy

McMurphy New Member

Bar sell them, they have three or four different designs.

18. George Rounce 1

George Rounce 1 Hello!!!!

Thanks I will have a look.