Scope diagram

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Gibbs, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

In an attempt to better understand temperature shift on side focus scopes I would like to find a diagram of the internals of a scope. Has anyone seen a detailed diagram?
    I can't find anything, despite trying many times.

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Like this?

http://www.shooting-the-breeze.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277

3. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

Thanks Rob,
    I'll give myself a headache now trying to work out what's happening to my Mk 1 Big Nikko.

4. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Whats temerature shift?:D

Dont worry, I will ask Berty come May!

5. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

I wouldn't mind if my scope shifted a certain amount at a certain temp. I could easily cope with that.
    I tested my Mk1 Big Nikko back in the summer and found that it over ranges by upto 7 yards!!
    This ocurs when it gets to 25 degrees C.
    But to cut a very long story short, it also over ranges whenever the scope and air temp are more than a couple of degrees different!!?
    Yesterday - First half of Cornwall's club, all was well.
    Second half - In the lovely warm sunshine and out of the very slight wind it began to over range by 5 yards.
    Air temp 18 scope temp 24.

Now, I can easily grasp the concept of heat expansion causing internal parts to expand and shift the ranges, but I'm still trying to get to grips with these other symptoms:(
    Does anyone else notice these weird symptoms?

6. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Don't want to sound harsh here but your scope sounds like a dud!:eek:
    The Mk1 Nikko is renouned for stability no matter what the weather throws at it, unlike the newest model. Is the occular set up correctly?
    Conor

7. mintyrn10

mintyrn10 Roll on the weekend!

Club:
    REDFEARNS
    totally agree with this i'm now using a mk1 nikko ive had leup comps and the like that shift lots ,, maybe worn inside to much play with the internals

8. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

You can be as harsh as you like, it won't annoy me as much as my scope does!
    I don't want to confuse the issue too much, but....
    The scope came free with my Steyr!:confused: Mainly because the brass screw retaining the sidewheel was sheered off.
    It hasn't bothered me that I could pull the wheel off at any time, but it sounds like it's time for a new scope.
    I just don't want to spend a load of money on another big Nikko/expensive scope and find I'm back where I started.
    So I'm glad to hear this is not a typical Big Nikko fault.

9. NJR 100

Club:
    £395

if only those T50 falcons were due.

10. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

I wonder if I can make my scope last until the T50 appears?:)

11. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Hi Gibbs how do you know that your scope is either over/under ranging it appears that you are shooting a Steyr, i have had 3 Steyr's in the past and they where very temperature fussy now i accept not all rifles are the same and some will not shift as much as others but in my experiance apart from Leupold most of the BSA/Nikkos are not bad at all i would certainly try to make sure it is not the gun first before buying a new scope.

12. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

Thanks for the warning, but I was checking the scope on some known distances and from 40 to 55 yards it was 4 to 5 yards over each time.

13. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    When i was shooting with my Leup 20-50 come winter i always added 5 yards even to the point if i ranged a target at 55 yards i would shoot it on 60yards you really need to use a rifle and scope thro a full year to make a real informed decisiion as to how good your gear is not forgetiing your own abillity the longer you shoot the better you will get sometimes it is like haveing a sixth sense you will put your cross hair somewhere without thinking about it and the target will fallover then if you thought about the shot after you would wonder how you knew where to put the cross hair there.

14. NJR 100

Club:
    I find that too, i call it using the Force.

The force was weak sunday:eek:

15. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

I have used the gun and scope together for the last year, and the more I got to know them both, the more faults I found with the scope!
    It's a shame it's not in the manufacturers interest to make a scope that doesnt shift with the temp. And believe me, they could if they wanted to.

16. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Using the FORCE

Simon,

I like this one fair play using the FORCE, havent heard that for a while.

God help us when you do find the force or when the force gets stronger in you. Might be an idea to eat more of the Colonels chicken that will give you some more force heehee...

Berty

17. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Scope manufacturers

Gibbs,

You might be right regarding scope manufacturers making a scope that doesnt shift.

There alot of lads out there that use the top kit and yet they still have the same issues. A big problem is the fact that scopes are mass produced and that is why we see a variation in quality of the scopes, I hear that there are some good Mk3 Nikkos and some that aare not as good. Little Jack in our club says his dads is better to use than his?? Might be the fact that dad (Big Jay) wears glasses and has his scope set a little diferrently than Jacks or it could be that Jay's has better quality lenses.

With some many moving/working parts, you are bound to get temp shift, even if it is very minimal or high, the worst I heaard of was Doz's Leup comp in South Africa, due to a part melting or distorting due to the heat he was out by about 14 yards. It was only the last day he recognised how far out he was. That is one of the scopes that people believe is the best for FT. Plus they are not cheap to buy either.

In my opinion you will always get temp shift, it just depends if you can see it easily and read it or not. If your getting alot of temp shift then speak to the suppliers of the scope and see what they can do for you. They might be willing tro have the scope looked at to see what the issues are with the scope???

Berty