scope comparison - help needed

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by john0neuk, Dec 11, 2014.

1. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Guys,

I have managed to pick up 3 scopes which all appear pretty similar in quality to my untrained Eye. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them to see which out of the 3 I should keep.

They are Bushnell Elite 6500, Weaver Grand slam and the Nikon Monarch UCC

I have been doing my usual and buying everything I fancy and testing it out, ideally I am looking for an HFT scope - one of the issues is that two don't have mildots (weaver and Nikon) just the single spot and fine cross hair. But they are lovely bits of kit

On another note is it illegal to "click" in HFT? I know it is not legal to parallax to range find but "click" to set to estimated range prior to settling on the firing line v holdover - I am not sure?

So any input welcome indeed suggestions re other scopes to consider in a similar range of quality/price!

Kr

2. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    In hft you cannot adjust anything on your scope once you start.

3. john0neuk

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Cheers - thought that may be the case, but hoped otherwise. Will probably give the scope a go anyway - just estimate holdover - without the aid of mildots!

4. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Wow

John i find it amazing that you find time to eat and sleep , with the amount of gear you buy and test . good fun i kinow . but have you ever heard the saying " beware the man with one gun and scope " ??? HOLLY:):D

5. john0neuk

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Hi holly

No but starting to think same way. Need to settle on a setup and give it a good crack!

But it has been a fun ride, have managed to play with some great gear along the way.

It's easy to get wrapped up in it all.

Kr

6. Tone

Tone Active Member

Club:
    Bristol Aero & Quarry Hunters
    John

There is nothing wrong in trying kit out if you can, I have done it over the last 3-4 years and have had fun doing it.

The key is to decide which disciplines you enjoy the most, I shoot four competively but put the most time into HFT.

Get the kit right for each discipline and then stick with that with odd tweak here and there from time to time.

Choose a target sport that you are going to spend the most time doing and increase your averages so you can see your progression, the other disciplines will naturally follow on behind and you can dip into them as you choose.

Tony

7. john0neuk

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Tone,

As you know shooting 4 disciplines at moment. Must admit HFT is the best fun, hence trying to fine tune what I am going to use for it. Bench is sorted as is LSR and FT. Just HFT to go and debating whether to use the TM or Daystate for it, or chop out the EV2 and pick up something else as I don't really use that much.

I know there is a core on here that think pick one set up and stick with it, but to be honest trying the kit and fiddling with set ups is part of the fun for me, as is trying out which scope suits me best.

Booked in the Pro Target and EV2 with John Ostler so if I do sell one of them on then at least I know it will be top grade.

8. rich

rich Active Member

Depends what rules you shoot HFT to, John.

Dartmoor is affiliated to SWEFTA, and the local SWEFTA HFT rules do allow you to adjust the scope. The local rules are a kind of hybrid between HFT and SFT.

Have a word with Damian at DM, he's the comp sec at the moment.

9. john0neuk

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Hi Rich,

Thanks for that I will be shooting as many of the SWEFTA rounds as poss this season, but have also put name on the list for the Worlds at Kelmarsh so need to have a go at the UK standard rules as well, and have kit that can be used for both etc.
    kr

10. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    True

Very true John . i got to a stage where i had so much kit . that one of the gun bag's fell back onto the cupboard door and i could not get it open . had to take the door of the hinges . you become a collector ( spit ) not the way . yes have as many pistols as you like ( cannot hit a barn door with mine ) but two or three rifles is enough ( two puff gun's and a springer ) i tell you what i like the look of is the new Impact air guns Reveloution GSX 600 . i reckon that would be a good rifle for HFT ??? HOLLY:)

11. what barn door

what barn door Now them tin chickens are going to get it....

Club:
    Kingsley
    Scopes again

Hi,
    I am fairly new to this forum so please go easy if I have posted into the wrong thread.

I have several rifles all in .177, some pcp and some springers. I have noticed that with several of my scopes the following problems.

1, Grouping moves and becomes poor upon changing magnification. So if I set up a rifle in a fixed position, zero the scope at a set magnification (say 6x). Then move the magnification up to say 9x, the centre has moved and when rifle adjusted to put cross hair onto original poa, zero is off.:confused:

2, Setting eye relief on a couple of nikko stirling produces a very unstable reticle. This appears to be because the eye piece/lens physically moves as it appears to become loose.:eek:o

Is there such a thing as an affordable (sub £100) but reliable scope that will last more than six months and is ok on a springer such as the LGU.

Many thanks for any help on this,

WBD

12. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Hi WBD and welcome to the forum. It's actually quite common for the cheaper scopes to change POI with a change in the mag setting.....although not really sure under what circumstances you would need to be adjusting the mag so much?, unless close in ratting maybe?...i suspect it's down to the fact that you're using a scope from the 'cheaper' end of the market, that probably applies to your eye relief problem as well. Maybe you could use something to stabilise the lens, tape or loctite?

For around the 100 quid mark you can get a SH MTC 10x44 Viper that should eradicate the problems you're having...not sure how you feel about fixed 10 mag but less to go wrong:D

13. skires

skires Well-Known Member

..Deleted..

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  14. skires

skires Well-Known Member

John

Re your HFT scope.

It can be fun trying lots of different kit.

You have to decide if you want to shoot HFT purely for fun, and that will mean using what kit you want, even if that puts you at a disadvantage to the majority ... or you go into it with the intention of doing the best that you possibly can.

I shot years of HFT using a springer and using a 30/30 ret. It is easily possible to use rets other than half mil dot etc in HFT. I just learned the aim points of the ret I had. The disadvantage you will have is if you want to use the ret to rangefind. I still had a few references with my 30/30 ret to help range but it's easier with a multi point ret if you can be bothered to learn or carry charts and use the system like Brian Samson describes very well.

Your choice ... whether you want to be a bit different and use what you want or whether you want to get the best scores you possibly can.

Just enjoy it whatever you decide.

15. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    My scores went UP John when I switched to a mil dot scope! Only 2 aim points to think about, you just decide whether to aim either at top, middle or bottom of kill with either aim point.:D

16. john0neuk

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Micky

Is that to or from a mildot?

That is kind of where I a ending up - let "KISS" apply, keep it easy - my only regret is I have let the Monarch go as I thought it would be hard without a mildot ret! That said it was parallaxed at 30m which is abit further out than I would like as the 8yds were really a blurry mess with it!

But been practisng re using the full depth of the kill zone to mitigate for some of the distance issues and only have a longest and shortest estimated position to remember on whatever ret I end up with.

Its fun learning in this game - thanks to all re the input!

17. john0neuk

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Definitely enjoying it all - totally addicted really - re whether i want to be good or just enjoy it? then by nature I am on the I want to be good side of the equasion - but age is probably against me fulfilling that - so will just go forward "hoping" and "believing" I can be good- and actually just enjoy competing at my natural level!

18. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    John, with low mounts & a 30yrd zero its cross hairs from 13 to 34 yards (cross hairs bottom of kill for 20-24 yards) . The 1st mil dot = 9yrds & 44 yards. With this set up most middle range targets are cross hair top, middle or bottom of kill then with targets 10 yards or closer or 38 yards or further use the mil dot in top, middle or bottom of kill! Seems to work for me ?:D

19. john0neuk

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Cheers for that, much appreciated.

I was getting there with my testing last week. My rough figures were very similar to yours -:)

Nothing outside a mildot of holdover and most just aiming at middle or above of kill zone and everything was going down (off the bench obviously). - thanks for the 20 - 24 bit. I had missed that :eek:o as I was just doing short and long and then zero distance and further out always forget about that ballistic curve bit for the lower middle ranges.

kr

20. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Yep John and the 20-25 yard mark is where the 15mm kills will be.:) Sounds to me like you're doing everything right. HFT isn't like FT at all as the scope is truly an individual thing. Optics/owners eyesight and settings will differ between 10 shooters using the same scope:)